Author Topic: New York Times Article--Kitchen Scales  (Read 1828 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline barryvabeach

Re: New York Times Article--Kitchen Scales
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I converted to a scale for nearly 100% of my baking due to this site.  I also made the cheat sheet that the article references for common conversions a while back so I can make the conversion process easier.   I haven't tried it for cooking, though most of my cooking is more by eye than by cups, but it is something to consider.   

Offline lumpynose

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 04:46:40 PM »
Another thank you for providing the link.

Now if only we could get people to use grams instead of/in addition to ounces.  But first let's just get them using scales!

Offline BTB

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:44:10 AM »
Good article.  I've long been converted to using a scale, but most often revert to the spoons for small measurements. 

This scale looks very interesting as it does both volume and weight measurements.  From the King Arthur Flour catalog:  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/escali-pana-volume-and-weight-scale .  I wonder if anyone's had any experience with it.

--BTB

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:40:27 PM »
I started using a scale for all of my pizza making over a year ago. I also moved to measuring everything in grams.

I'd never think of doing it any other way now. :chef:
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline jimmylucas88

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »
Another thank you for providing the link.

Now if only we could get people to use grams instead of/in addition to ounces.  But first let's just get them using scales!

An interesting suggestion, about using grams instead of ounces.  I would like that very much.  I would also like to know if there is a New York City Map that shows the best places to get pizza that are around New York City Nightclubs. My favorite late night food after going to clubs is getting pizza, and I think a map like this would be brilliant!

pizzapan