Author Topic: Fast Pizza!! Same Day Dough NY style.  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Artale

• I Love Pizza!
Fast Pizza!! Same Day Dough NY style.
« on: June 27, 2005, 05:19:11 PM »
Was wondering if some one had a receipe for NY style same day dough.

Forget using a  starter or a long cold rise. Something that is
quick yet pretty good.  Sometimes I want to make a fast pizza for the kids
and I have no receipe for something quick.

Flour I use is General Mills All Trumps  14 % protein.)

Thanks

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Fast Pizza!! Same Day Dough NY style.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 06:54:17 PM »
Artale,

If you'd like, you can make what some pizza operators call an "emergency" dough. This is what they sometime resort to when they run our of their usual dough or something has gone wrong with their regular doughs (like the cooler breaking down overnight). What they do is significantly increase the amount of yeast, typically by 50% or more, and they boost the water temperature so that the finished dough temperature is around 90-95 degrees F. Using these simple techniques can produce a "usable" dough within a matter of 2-3 hours. The problem with this dough is that the crust will be like cardboard and have little or no taste, and quite often poor coloration. If that is OK with your kids, then you can take basically any NY style dough recipe, including the Lehmann NY style dough recipe, and use the simple steps mentioned above.

If you have more than just a few hours, say, 6-10 hours, then you can take a basic NY style dough recipe, reduce the amount of yeast to a fraction of a teaspoon, and let the dough ferment at room temperature for anywhere from 6-10 hours. Here's a typical recipe that you might try (the dough will be enough for two roughly 13-inch pizzas):

3 1/3 c. (15 3/4 oz.) high-gluten flour
1/4 t. instant yeast (SAF Red instant yeast preferred)
1 3/4 t. sea salt
1 1/2 c. lukewarm water (around 68-72 degrees F)

If you have time to attend to the dough to be there after it rises, say, around 6 hours, I would use the 1/4 t. IDY called for in the recipe. If the best you can do is start the dough in the morning and finish it after work, then I would use 1/8 t. IDY and let the dough rise for 10 hours, or for so long as the dough doesn't overferment and start to collapse. Either way, you won't get the best crust but it will be better than a 2- to 3-hour emergency dough crust. You will have to do some experimenting with the times since the dough will ferment faster in a warmer room temperature environment than in a cooler room temperature environment.

If you need help in the steps to make the dough following the above recipe, let me know.

BTW, do your kids like Neapolitan-style pizzas using 00 flour? I have a recipe for making a pretty good (single) Neapolitan pizza within an hour, from start to finish, using the Bel Aria 00 flour. However, you will need a proofing box to do this (I can provide the details). It will take a bit longer to make a few of the pizzas. I usually make just one as a quick snack for myself.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 10:00:34 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Artale

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 10:31:23 AM »
peter as always thank you for your reply. This forum would not be the same
without you!  :D

I will try the 6 to 10 hr receipe.  I can make the dough in the morning and
have pizza for dinner.   I have access to 00  pizza flour and that was next on my
list of things to try.  Where can I buy a proofing box?

thanks again

Artale

Offline Artale

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 11:23:51 AM »
Also Peter,  I read about putting together a make shift proof box.

Use a hard plastic cooler. Igloo or what ever brand and buy a cord /socket and
light bulb (25Watt) putting the light bulb in the cooler with a thermometer. Then taking
a towel and folding it and putting it in between the cooler lid to act as a
thermostat. Adjusting the lid opening to obtain the correct temp to 85 deg.

Does this sound like a good idea??

Artale....

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 11:32:05 AM »
Artale,

Let me know how the recipe works out. It's been a while since I have tried it. I also tried the dough with refrigeration and, as you might expect, the results were better than the same-day version.

As for the proofing box, you should construct your own, as I have done a few times. If you go to Reply #6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,403.0.html, you will see one of mine, along with the instructions on how to assemble it. The last time I made one, using parts from Lowe's, the total price for parts was around $13. One of the advantages of this type of proofing box is that you can control the temperature up to around 120 degrees F. That's the temperature I use to make the one-hour 00 pizzas.

Peter

pizzapan