Author Topic: Dream Job?  (Read 3689 times)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Dream Job?
« on: June 27, 2005, 08:36:32 PM »
Don't know if anyone has posted on this New haven, CT pizza maker with a unique idea. I've read two local articles about him. He has outfitted a 1946 truck, former fire engine, with a Mugnaini brick oven, cappuccino/espresso maker, CD player and wood. His name is Doug Coffin. I gather he will come to your home and make pizza for your party.  See  www.biggreentruckpizza.com. Since I live in Connecticut, I think I'd hire him just to see the truck in person.

Offline superdave

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dream Job?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 12:02:44 AM »
What fun!

How many pizzas you can cook at once in a brick oven that size? I would imagine you would need to crank them out pretty quickly to feed 50 people buffet style. According to the web site, he has a lot of experience catering, so I would venture he has that figured out. I hope he really succeeds!

Superdave

Offline pizza truck

• I Love Pizza!
    • BigGreenTruckPizza
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 07:27:03 AM »
Hey, that's me you are talking about! The oven can hold four large pies at a time and cooks them in under three minuites. Pies for fifty is easy - the challenge is pies for 200 or more. We did a party for the Yale graduating class - 600 big eaters - for that we blew through over 100 pies in a few hours. We had two guys streaching dough, one person helping to put on toppings (pepperoni slows you down) and one guy tending the oven.

Apizza - come by and see the rig for yourself. Call or email me with dates that work for you and we'll set something up!

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 10:17:38 AM »
Pizza Truck.

I know this post is old, but I'm thinking about pizza catering. And I love your truck. Is there any way I could learn more about it?

Thanks,

Tim
Throw me a slice, won't ya

Offline cdodson

• Mmmmmm...pizza.
    • Wild Flours Bread Company
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 03:32:04 PM »
I'd be curious to know how the masonry holds up during travel (or how much maintenance and patchwork is needed to keep the brick oven intact).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:35:01 PM by cdodson »
Carey

The power of cheese

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 08:30:45 PM »
And the good news is that when he sets something on fire with that brick oven he can use the old fire truck parts to put it out!   :-D

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 07:41:55 AM »
o' brother.... ::)

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 03:03:46 PM »
Nice revival!

Growing up on Long Island (West Hempstead for the locals) we had the "Pizza Man" come around about once a week during the summer.  He drove a school bus with pizza ovens and cooked them fresh.  It's been probably 35 years since those days, but I still remember the pies.  They were good, but not great.  The crust had a bumpy texture, almost like inverted dimples, under the cheese.   We used to go runing for Mom, screaming "The Pizza Man is here", but usually got the standard PB&J or cheese sandwich.  The Pizza man's pies were a special lunch.

jib

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 08:48:26 AM »
With the price of gas today. I don't think you'll see any pizza guy drive though the neighborhood anymore. I wonder what the ice cream guys margin is after he fuels up. :o

I tried to get a hold of the guy who owns this pizza truck. But no reply. That's to bad, I'd like to try his concept here in Wisconsin.

cheers,

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 06:15:07 PM »
Thanks for posting that link.  I just came across it tonight  :-[

but, wow, I'm glad I did..... that's a realy super idea !

Don't know if anyone has posted on this New haven, CT pizza maker with a unique idea. I've read two local articles about him. He has outfitted a 1946 truck, former fire engine, with a Mugnaini brick oven, cappuccino/espresso maker, CD player and wood. His name is Doug Coffin. I gather he will come to your home and make pizza for your party.  See  www.biggreentruckpizza.com. Since I live in Connecticut, I think I'd hire him just to see the truck in person.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 06:18:09 PM »
I just checked and he was last active in August of 2005.....  so I guess he doesn't check
the board much  :-\ , I guess business is doing well hopefully.

edit: I just sent Doug an email, so hopefully he'll join us with some new info.

Lovely truck, I'd really love to see that in real life. 

Pizza Truck.

I know this post is old, but I'm thinking about pizza catering. And I love your truck. Is there any way I could learn more about it?

Thanks,

Tim
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 06:20:44 PM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline pizza truck

• I Love Pizza!
    • BigGreenTruckPizza
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 10:03:40 PM »
I haven't checked this board in a long time. It is getting very busy - a second truck hits the streets in June. Anybody who wants to come see it in action is welcome to. If you want to know about pizza catering send me an email directly - doug@biggreentruckpizza.com. The iven has held up really well. The manufacturer says that they ship ovens all over the country and have never had one crack on them. The shape is inherently strong and the constructiuon allows for some movement and shifting as the oven heats and cools. For those that get the NY Times  keep an eye out for an article in the dinning out section - a reporter came up to spend a day or two with us. Also if you know anyone in the New Haven areea looking for work send them this way!

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 10:58:06 AM »
Pizzatruck,

I live S.E. Wisconsin and I've been giving it a lot of thought about pizza catering. I did look at your website and I think your pizza truck is neat. I'm contemplating something like it. Is it possible to have a chat with you.?

Thanks
Tim
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 10:59:58 AM by Park.Pizza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 10:52:55 AM »
The following NY Times article ("First the Pizza's Delivered, Then It's Cooked") appeared today (May 24, 2006) at http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/24/dining/24truc.html on fellow member Doug Coffin's Big Green Truck.

SEVERAL years ago Douglas Coffin, a caterer in New Haven, built a portable bread oven that he planned to use at big events. When that did not work out (not cost-effective) he decided to put a wood-fired oven aboard a truck, drive to company picnics and birthday parties and make thin-crust pizzas for his clients.

With that idea came success. Mr. Coffin's company, Big Green Truck Pizza, now keeps him elbow-deep in dough for much of the year. In June he will roll out a second truck.

Mr. Coffin, 52, credits the many friends who helped build his first mobile pizzeria, among them the woodworker who made pine panels that serve as the sides of the truck bed and transform into picnic tables. Boating experts advised him on the generator and the sink. His new Mugnaini brick oven, imported from Italy, came the farthest, but each of the truck's components underwent its own kind of journey.

"There's not a single bit of material on this truck that's used in the way the manufacturer originally intended," Mr. Coffin said.

The truck, a 1946 International Harvester, had previously served as a fire truck in nearby Yalesville. It strains as it carries its six-ton weight, so Mr. Coffin limits his jobs mostly to southern Connecticut. He and an assistant need about an hour and a half to set up and get the oven hot enough to start cooking. The ingredients are prepared ahead but the pizzas are assembled on site, usually in front of a crowd.

"I'm sure psychiatrists have a bunch of reasons as to why we gather around fire," Mr. Coffin said.

Each pie cooks about three minutes before emerging with a brick-oven char. Mr. Coffin's topping combinations include the classic (tomato and mozzarella) and the unusual (mashed potatoes and bacon). The meal, for which he charges $950 for groups of 50 or so, also includes salad, gelato and cappuccino.

But "it's about more than the food," said Lauri Wichtowski of Deep River, Conn., whose 40th-birthday party was catered by Mr. Coffin. "It's the atmosphere that the truck creates, and the excitement."

Mr. Coffin has a more straightforward explanation for his success. "We make pizza," he said. "All you need is that and a green salad, and people are really happy."

Big Green Truck Pizza: (203) 397-5295, biggreentruckpizza.com

pizzapan