Author Topic: DelGrosso Pizza Sauce out of PA?  (Read 6164 times)

Offline XanderKane

DelGrosso Pizza Sauce out of PA?
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:13:02 PM »
Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the forum, and I hope there are many.  I've decided that I really want to get to the point that I can create my own pizza from scratch that I really enjoy.  So far not so good, but it'll get better :)

First of all I wanted to ask if anyone here has ever had the DelGrosso Pizza sauce?  Its a small family company out of Pennsylvania and is one of my favorite sauces.  I also wondered if anyone had a recipe that tasted similar to it?

Thanks everyone,
--Bryan

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: DelGrosso Pizza Sauce out of PA?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 03:01:04 PM »
Here is what the labels for the pizza sauces look like: http://www.delgrossos.com/piz.html.

Peter

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 09:41:26 AM »
Where can you purchase this product their website is for information only... what stores carry it??? thanks

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 10:25:13 AM »
Where can you purchase this product their website is for information only... what stores carry it??? thanks

It's real common in NE Ohio - I've always seen it, but never tried it.  I guess I give a jar a whirl

Offline XanderKane

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 05:40:40 PM »
I've talked to them on the phone before and you can order cases of it stunningly cheap.  I prefer the Deluxe version of it, but the Pepperoni one is good as well.  Thanks for not flaming me everyone :)  You never know how first posts are going to be received. 

Since I now live in TN i can't just go pick it up at the store anymore.  Can anyone recommend another good one to buy in TN?

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 03:26:52 PM »
I prefer the Deluxe version of it, but the Pepperoni one is good as well. 

I just picked up a jar of Deluxe, they had the pepperoni also. I'll give the deluxe a go and post my findings. DelGrosso spag sauce is the only sauce my wife buys so I know that is good. Never thought to look for their pizza sauce. Thanks for the heads up.  8)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 03:43:19 PM »
Bryan let us know how you like the pizza sauce......Thanks

Offline XanderKane

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 03:49:30 PM »
Wow another Bryan with a y...(as I am) just haven't run into that many of us.

I hope you guys don't hate it!  I'd feel bad if I'd led you to a sauce you didn't like. 

In other news I'm excited about a recipe that I got from my mom over the holiday.  I'm half Italian, (my dad's side) but my grandmother died when I was 2.  I didn't think any of her original family recipes still existed, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that we had her base sauce recipe.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out and see how I can adapt it for pizza.

Looking forward to seeing if you like the delgrosso at all.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 09:30:49 PM »
Bryan let us know how you like the pizza sauce......Thanks
Will do. I'm making my pan pizza crust right now. I'm at the 20 min rest before final kneading stage. I'll cook it up tomorrow and post my tastings.  :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:32:46 PM by Bryan S »

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 05:35:53 PM »
Made up my pan pizza and WOW! there's alot going on in that sauce. I tasted it right from the jar and it reminds me of Chef Boyardee pizza sauce. Now it's been many years since I had Chef Boyardee but that's what it reminds me of. It's got great flavor and it's a little spicy. It was a perfect match for the pan pizza. It would make a great dipping sauce for bread sticks, boli, etc. That said there might be too much going on in the sauce for a NY style pizza. I'll try it on my NY but I think if I took a 28 oz can of Red Packs and a 14 oz jar of the DelGrosso and whizzed them up together in the food processor that would work for a nice NY style sauce. I liked it and will def buy it again. At $.99 a jar it's cheap and very good.  :)

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 11:35:33 PM »
I went to the store today and saw that they have a NY Style sauce out also.  8) Of course I bought a jar.  ;D

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 01:00:59 AM »
I went to the store today and saw that they have a NY Style sauce out also.  8) Of course I bought a jar.  ;D
I used the NY Style sauce today and really, really liked it. At a $1 a jar I'll be using this for my NY style pies. Good stuff.  8)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 08:54:18 AM »
Bryan,

You continue to amaze me. I think I am going to start sending new members to you when they ask for a simple dough recipe  ;D. You use a basic dough recipe with only all-purpose flour, water, salt and IDY yeast (Reply 24 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5000.msg42547/topicseen.html#msg42547), you use a simple and inexpensive pizza screen (no pizza stone or tiles or long preheats required), and now a cheap bottled pizza sauce. And at least 7 days worth of use out of the dough balls. Maybe you can work out a hand-kneaded version of your dough for those who do not have mixers and post the instructions. That way I can just link them to your posts.

Peter

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 12:35:07 AM »
Bryan,

You continue to amaze me. I think I am going to start sending new members to you when they ask for a simple dough recipe  ;D. You use a basic dough recipe with only all-purpose flour, water, salt and IDY yeast (Reply 24 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5000.msg42547/topicseen.html#msg42547), you use a simple and inexpensive pizza screen (no pizza stone or tiles or long preheats required), and now a cheap bottled pizza sauce. And at least 7 days worth of use out of the dough balls. Maybe you can work out a hand-kneaded version of your dough for those who do not have mixers and post the instructions. That way I can just link them to your posts.

Peter
I'm Honored at your request. You know people might think that I'm cheap or a miser but I'm quite the opposite really. I have had a Fibrament stone, for many years now, but find I get great results with the screen, and not running the oven for an hour for one pizza. I like the screen because of the crispy layer it puts on the very bottom of the pie with minimal preheat time, usually about 5-10 after the oven hits 550 the pie goes in. When I make pizza dough at home it takes me back to my youth and working in a pizza shop. I remember the dough and the sauce being so simple, I thought there was much more to it than there actually was. I remember the dough as flour, tap water, salt and cake yeast. The sauce was a #10 can of sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper, never cooked. It was a long time ago but that is what I remember. So from my learning's in a pizza shop of how simple everything was made, I carry on that when making my own pizza. Now if I didn't like the results I would surely change my methods but I get great results IMO and will continue to perfect the simple NY Style pie. I'll do all by hand only simple dough no electric mixer ( I hate cleaning them beaters),   >:( and post my findings. Thank you Peter, for the invitation.  8)

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 10:39:44 PM »
I tried the Pepperoni sauce last week. While it's not bad, not what I'm looking for in a pizza sauce. Picked up 2 more jars of the NY Style sauce on Saturday, really like that one,  :D  and I'll continue to use the Supreme sauce on my Pizza Hut pan pizza clones.  ;D

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 08:43:11 PM »
A very kind member of this forum, who shall remain nameless unless he wants to step forward, sent me a jar of each of the three DelGrosso sauces to try!  Thank you, Nameless Member!

As I have stated before, I am not a fan of sweet sauces, and these all include sugar in the ingredients, so I was a little skeptical.  However, sugar was low on the list, not one of the first ingredients, so I pressed on. 

I made two pizzas last night, using, for the first time, JerryMac's same-day dough, made with a poolish, so these pizzas were total experiments!   ;D 

I used the New York style sauce and the Supreme, saving the Pepperoni for another day.  I tasted the sauces straight from the jar and felt they were a little sweet for my liking... as one member said, describing MY sauce recipe, he didn't like it straight from the bowl... but he LIKED the pizza it made!  Well, I'm the same way.  Didn't care for it straight from the jar, but on the pizza, it was VERY GOOD!

For the NY style sauce, I put on a light layer of sauce, a 50-25-25 mixture of low moisture, part skim Precious mozz, imported Fontina and domestic smoked prov, respectively.  The toppings were pepperoni, black olive and onions.

For the Supreme sauce, I used the same as above except the toppings were thinly sliced fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped prosciutto and a sprinkling of dried basil...  would have used fresh basil but didn't have any.  Guess I'd better get those seeds in a pot!

Baked 8 minutes on a stone at 550o F, preheated for an hour... and they were EXCELLENT!  JerryMac's crust was very good... the sauce was very good, too... and DH declared that they were THE BEST pizzas I have made so far!   8)  In fact, I asked him if he liked these pizzas better than the Brooklyn Brothers pizzas we had in Everett a couple of weeks ago... and got a resounding "YES"!  So, I guess, one more time, I have just messed up my chances at being taken out for dinner!!   :chef:   :-D   :'( 

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 12:08:28 AM »
SDGirl,  8)  Don't expect too much from the pepperoni sauce, it's just Ok in my book. I have stocked up on the NY Style sauce, 6 jars at the ready.  ;D

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 09:51:49 PM »
I know this is an old discussion but I wanted to say that I bought some DelGrosso pizza sauce the other day.  It was at Big Lots. If you don't know BL it's a discount store that sells close outs they get from various suppliers.   They had the Deluxe and they had the New York Style.  I bought the NY not because of the name but because I don't like mushrooms and the Deluxe has mushrooms in it.  "you don't like mushrooms, you say ... heresy" You heard it, I don't like mushrooms.   But anyway, I got the NY version.  I have enough sauce of that I made myself, therefore I won't be using the Delgrosso any time soon but the expiration date is still far out so I don't have to worry about it.  I'm still in the money on this one!

They also had Joe's California pizza sauce for cheap too.  I think twice the size for about a buck or so more so I picked it up.  Nah, I don't know if it's good, I don't care much for California pizza style but it's just the sauce was inexpensive and the ingredient list seemed alright to me so I thought I'd give it a try. 

Offline jever4321

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 08:40:09 PM »
I've been using the NY style Delgrosso sauce for a while now when I make mini bagel pizza for the kiddos. It's pretty good, easy, cost effective & stores well in the fridge. I think I have two jars in the pantry right now.
-Jay