Author Topic: CHICAGOANS: Gino's East or Pizano's --- Aurelios or Pat's ?  (Read 953 times)

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
CHICAGOANS: Gino's East or Pizano's --- Aurelios or Pat's ?
« on: September 17, 2011, 11:07:59 AM »
I know this is subjective, there is no "best" pizza and it depends on what you like.  But if you had to choose, please tell me what you would choose and why.

1.  Gino's East (Superior St, Chicago) or Pizano's (N State St)
2.  Aurelios (Homewood) or Pat's Pizzeria

Footnote: I've been to a southern suburb Gino's East once and didn't enjoy it that much---I don't like chunky tomatoes in my sauce.  But I wonder if I just caught them on a bad night or this particular location isn't as good as others.  Also, I would be eating Gino's or Pizano's at lunch and only have an hour or so window to do so---Pizano's is right across the street from where I'll be, Gino's is 3 blocks away.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:11:53 AM by ihavezippers »

Offline BTB

Re: CHICAGOANS: Gino's East or Pizano's --- Aurelios or Pat's ?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »
IHZ, I just noticed this and some of your other postings in the General Topics, Chitchat section.  I am big on Chicago pizza, but rarely ever visit this section as I rarely have found anything here relative to Chicago pizza and am a little surprised it wasn't posted in the Chicago Style section, but things happen.

I've known and consumed Gino's East pizzas long before they added the term "East" to their name.  They use to be great and while they have a huge, loyal following, I am not one of them.  Their crust is very, very doughy and thick and I'm not too excited about that, but I do remember on occasions having a great pizza in their main restaurant.  Their suburban restaurants are some sort of very loose business relationships and except for one in the northwest suburbs have never been very good IMO.  They apparently are trying to expand and become as successful as some other Chicago area deep dish pizzerias (e.g., Lou Malnati's) but are not getting that far.

Pizano's in my personal estimation is far superior.  It is a much thinner variety of "deep dish" pizza, but very, very good.  And their heritage comes from good stock in the way of Chicago deep dish pizza.  The founder was one of the founders of the Uno's/Due's/Malnati's type of pizza, which is about the best in my personal estimation.  Many of my relatives and friends have it as their favorite.  It's high on my list, but Lou Malnati's is still top dog.

Regarding thin crust pizza and the comparison between Aurelio's and Pat's, I am also very, very familiar with both.  I lived nearby the original Homewood flagship Aurelio's location for many years and knew the founder, Joe Aurelio, before he passed away.  They are in my top five thin crust Chicago pizzas as is Pat's.  Pat's is a wafer thin pizza that is unique and very good.  Some media reviewers have them rated as the best ultra thin crust pizza in Chicago.  There are days when I thought one was better than the other only to go to the other and think that one was better.  They both are great and it just depends on the day and the cooks there at the time.

BTW, most of my life I hated "chunky" tomatoes on my pizzas.  Most Chicago Style deep dish pizza come with chunky tomatoes and I have since come to love them so much, that I don't like deep dish pizzas now without some or all "chunky" tomatoes on it.  Now to me, the worst deep dish pizza comes only with a liquid or thin tomato sauce.  Go figure.

--BTB

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:26:18 AM »
IHZ, I just noticed this and some of your other postings in the General Topics, Chitchat section.  I am big on Chicago pizza, but rarely ever visit this section as I rarely have found anything here relative to Chicago pizza and am a little surprised it wasn't posted in the Chicago Style section, but things happen.

BTB,

Originally, I think ihavezippers did post in the Chicago board, or maybe it was the Pizzeria and Restaurant Reviews board. As Moderator, I moved the thread to the Chitchat board because the Chicago Style Pizza Making board is intended only for recipes and the like that have to do with "making" pizza (e.g., dough, sauce, etc.), and the Pizzeria and Restaurants Review board is intended only for actual reviews, not recommendations for places to try out. Otherwise, everything remotely related to Chicago would end up in the Chicago board and the only way that one could find things is to use the search features or scroll through page after page of threads looking for the desired subject matter. All of the subsidiary boards (child boards) were set up so that not everything ends up in one or a few monstrous boards. The Chitchat board tends to be a catch-all board for topics that aren't covered, or covered well, elsewhere.

Since you raised the matter, and if there is sufficient general interest, maybe Steve can consider a new board for just Pizzeria Recommendations. In the past, we have tried not to proliferate the number of boards, which has drawn complaints from time to time in the past.

Peter

Offline BTB

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 07:46:24 AM »
Gotcha.  In the future I'll just have to expand the boards that I look at.  --BTB

pizzapan