Author Topic: Stubborn crust.....  (Read 96 times)

Offline easye418

• I Love Pizza!
Stubborn crust.....
« on: July 02, 2015, 01:58:37 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to make a Chicago thin with pepperoni and I just can't seem to get the crust right.

I use a pizza stone at 500 for about 10-12 minutes. 

I use King Arthur Flour, Fleschmen's AD Pizza Yeast, Whole milk Prov/Mozz cheese.

We mix all the ingredients in a mixer on kneading speed until it creates a well mixed ball.  Then we leave it out for 2 hours to rise, roll it into a log, and cut into 2.  The problem is the crust is always tough to roll out (retracts as you roll it out) and it just tastes blah.  It feels like it only cooks on the outside. 

Is it crucial to let the dough sit longer than 2 hrs covered in a moist towel at room temperature?  Would love some insights.

Also, is there some guide that can explain cooking percentages?  I measure all of my ingredients in oz, tbsp, tsp, etc.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:07:17 PM by easye418 »

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Stubborn crust.....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »
It is difficult to get or give advice when there is so little detail.  You might want to post the actual recipe and workflow you are using to get better insights.

Also, folks are highly encouraged to use the search features on the forum.  Most/many questions have been asked and answered.  There are numerous recipes and threads about Chicago thin. 

Having said that, I can tell you this.  If you are allowing your dough to ferment for 2 hours and then stretching and baking, you are destined to have a "blah" tasting crust.  Most people ferment their doughs for many, many, many more hours.  An "emergency dough" still is fermented longer, maybe a total of, say, 6 hours.  Most doughs are fermented for 12, 24 hours or 2,3, 4, etc days if in the fridge.  The time helps develop the flavor.

So, let us know what recipe you are using, if you think it is an important and good recipe to follow.  If you really do not have a lot of loyalty to it, review the Chicago thin recipes here in the forum and try one of those.

Example:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17662.msg171264#msg171264
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:42:18 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Offline HBolte

• Supporting Member
Re: Stubborn crust.....
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 03:14:07 PM »
Mitch makes good points.

Try this formula, you will make a great pizza: http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=9
Hans