Author Topic: Dominican Dough  (Read 941 times)

Offline bucket77

• I Love Pizza!
Dominican Dough
« on: September 20, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »
I have lived off and on in the Dominican Republic for the last several years and need some help with my dough.  The flour here is a lower protien and is very, very silky and with the high humidity is a major problem with my dough.  It seems no matter how much flour I add or subtract water I end up with a very "wet" dough that is near impossible to work with. My standard receipe has been.

10oz water
31/2 cups flour
pinch of suger
1 tablespoon yeast
1 teaspoon salt.

Thanks!

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
Re: Dominican Dough
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »
What is your current regiment?  Are you using a mixer?   Kneading? Stretching and folding?

The more info you provide the better.

Water  283
Flour 437.5
Yeast, 13 ?
Salt  6 grams?
Sugar ?

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:25:34 AM »
 10 oz. water divided by more or less 14.8 oz. flour gives you a hydration ratio of 67% which for your flour would make for a very sticky difficult to use dough. Try using one cup water, 8 oz. which is 54% hydration.
Don

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 03:55:04 PM »
Try this and let me know what the result is:
Put 3-cups of flour, and 1-tablespoon of salt in a bowl, add 9-ounces of cool water and your yeast. Mix for a couple minutes, cover with a piece of plastic and come back to it 2 to 3-hours later. Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a floured table top. Is the dough manageable, or it it extremely soft and sticky, to the point where you can't do anything with it? Let me know. If it is manageable, I can work it out with you. If it is totally unmanageable, you have flour with high starch damage, and the yeast is hydrolyzing the damaged starch into sugars. The only option you have then is to limit the total fermentation of the dough to not more than 1-hour.
I've been to and worked in the D.R. a number of times, and you do have some decent flour with normal starch damage available, but it may not be available outside of industrial size orders.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

pizzapan