Author Topic: Dough Storage - Dough tray vs sheet pans  (Read 2035 times)

Offline aerotech

Dough Storage - Dough tray vs sheet pans
« on: September 17, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »
Looking to proof larger batches of dough ball in a cooler and was wondering about the use of dough trays vs sheet pans with saran wrap or plastic bags around the tray. Which is better? Also, from a cost stand point which is better? If using sheet pans is it better to cover with saran wrap or use a plastic bag?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Dough Storage - Dough tray vs sheet pans
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:39:03 PM »
The artisan dough trays at www.Doughmate.com fit in a standard fridge, are easy to clean very durable and handle 6 - 260 gram balls perfectly. They have a great seal but give them room to proof and breath. I have held dough up to 7 days  no problem! Hard to beat! Just try a few he sell a 2 pack kit.
John
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:41:21 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:52:31 AM »
Aero;
What kind of cooler are we looking at using? A reach-in cooler limits your options to sheet pans, while a walk-in cooler allows for the use of dough boxes or sheet pans. I like to use food contact approved plastic bags to cover the sheet pans as they can usually be reused a number of times, while Saran wrap must be discarded after every use. Both Saran wrap and plastic bags constitute a parasitic cost, while dough boxes, being more costly up front, are actually cheaper to use in the long term as there is no parasitic cost associated with them except for an occasional washing. In production, we typically don't need to wash the boxes after every use, we just scrape them out (they scrape out very easily) and reuse them. The sheet pans need to be scraped and washed after each use as the dough has a tendency to adhere to the metal pans, resisting all attempts to scrape them clean. Oiling the pans can alleviate this, but then you need to be very careful that the dough pieces don't skate around on the pan to form a cluster, you then end up with one large piece of dough on the pan on the following day.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline aerotech

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for the input. We are looking into using a walk in cooler instead of several reach in coolers. Was also thinking walk in cooler would be lower operating cost long term. I was actually looking to use sheet pans with plastic bags at the beginning due to up front costs. I will have to look more into long term cost.

Thanks again
Ralph
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:08:54 PM by aerotech »

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 01:34:39 AM »
The Doctor teaches the truth!
Go with the boxes...077 can show you the way..

m.