Author Topic: Dough Storage - Dough tray vs sheet pans  (Read 2973 times)

Offline aerotech

Dough Storage - Dough tray vs sheet pans
« on: September 17, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »
Looking to proof larger batches of dough ball in a cooler and was wondering about the use of dough trays vs sheet pans with saran wrap or plastic bags around the tray. Which is better? Also, from a cost stand point which is better? If using sheet pans is it better to cover with saran wrap or use a plastic bag?

Online JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Dough Storage - Dough tray vs sheet pans
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:39:03 PM »
The artisan dough trays at www.Doughmate.com fit in a standard fridge, are easy to clean very durable and handle 6 - 260 gram balls perfectly. They have a great seal but give them room to proof and breath. I have held dough up to 7 days  no problem! Hard to beat! Just try a few he sell a 2 pack kit.
John
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:41:21 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:52:31 AM »
Aero;
What kind of cooler are we looking at using? A reach-in cooler limits your options to sheet pans, while a walk-in cooler allows for the use of dough boxes or sheet pans. I like to use food contact approved plastic bags to cover the sheet pans as they can usually be reused a number of times, while Saran wrap must be discarded after every use. Both Saran wrap and plastic bags constitute a parasitic cost, while dough boxes, being more costly up front, are actually cheaper to use in the long term as there is no parasitic cost associated with them except for an occasional washing. In production, we typically don't need to wash the boxes after every use, we just scrape them out (they scrape out very easily) and reuse them. The sheet pans need to be scraped and washed after each use as the dough has a tendency to adhere to the metal pans, resisting all attempts to scrape them clean. Oiling the pans can alleviate this, but then you need to be very careful that the dough pieces don't skate around on the pan to form a cluster, you then end up with one large piece of dough on the pan on the following day.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline aerotech

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for the input. We are looking into using a walk in cooler instead of several reach in coolers. Was also thinking walk in cooler would be lower operating cost long term. I was actually looking to use sheet pans with plastic bags at the beginning due to up front costs. I will have to look more into long term cost.

Thanks again
Ralph
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:08:54 PM by aerotech »

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 01:34:39 AM »
The Doctor teaches the truth!
Go with the boxes...077 can show you the way..

m.

Offline Omidz

• My rolling test kitchen
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 05:46:13 PM »
Hi Tom I was reading your post here about not having to wash them every single time. I am looking for a dough box solution for all the reasons you have written about. I do have some questions on them though:

1. I have tried to not use oil and keep my dough fully lean with dough boxes but with poor results (drying out). is there anyway to not use oil and still be able to use dough boxes? purpose would be to keep lean, eliminate a step, reduce messy oil residue, added cost.

2. If oil is really the practical thing to do does this change the idea of washing daily vs. maybe every 3 days etc.?

3. I just began using the doug pro boxes as a tester. Many good qualities but I noticed their boxes have a bit of wave to their bottom which makes it more difficult to scrape using a dough scraper vs. a standard white dough box like cambro.

4. Is a dough box a box or is there a noticeable advantage to using Cambro or Dough Pro vs. just a generic version?

Thanks for your help Tom.

Offline Omidz

• My rolling test kitchen
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 05:59:01 PM »
Tom correction. I meant to say Doughmate. in my post sorry.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 12:05:02 AM »
My own personal preference is for the WRH dough boxes <www.wrh.net>, they have an excellent seal, are super durable, come in a variety of colors which may help you to identify the day of manufacture, they can also provide lids for the top box in a stack plus they make a special scraper designed specifically for removing dough balls and scraping their boxes clean. You will need to oil the dough balls no matter what you do or it will stick to anything you use to cover it with. The amount of oil used to oil the tops (only) is very small, so I wouldn't worry about it. Since you can scrape the box clean after use, and it never goes into the public area of your store, you should be able to get away with washing once or twice a week. Your inspector will make the determining call on that, sometimes it is better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Another neat thing about the WRH boxes is that they have cleats molded into them to facilitate cross stacking in the walk-in cooler, then when down-stacking the top quarter inch of each box nests into the box beneath it making for a tight seal, then just lid the top box of the stack. Instead of buying special dollies for the boxes, I have seen where a box is fitted with wheels to allow the stack to be moved around, I have also seen plastic frame moving dollies used too. The wood dollies will not pass inspection.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 11:13:39 AM »
years ago I used sheet pans, but we also had a cooler without fans blowing the moisture out of my dough. I do not have a fanless cooler these days, so dough will dry and get crusty within hours if not covered.

I use el-cheapo, low profile dough boxes from webstaurantstore.com , they stack tight, and have lids they fit on a sheet pan nicely and allow me 8 12oz balls or 6 16 oz balls per box.
I tried the taller cambro brand boxes, they were nice and sturdy, but the sizing didn't fit our needs, and I hate to say it, but they were over-engineered for their purpose.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 01:40:47 AM »
years ago I used sheet pans, but we also had a cooler without fans blowing the moisture out of my dough. I do not have a fanless cooler these days, so dough will dry and get crusty within hours if not covered.

I use el-cheapo, low profile dough boxes from webstaurantstore.com , they stack tight, and have lids they fit on a sheet pan nicely and allow me 8 12oz balls or 6 16 oz balls per box.
I tried the taller cambro brand boxes, they were nice and sturdy, but the sizing didn't fit our needs, and I hate to say it, but they were over-engineered for their purpose.

GR,

Are you talking about these?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-18-x-26-x-3-dough-proofing-box/40714021.html

I got the Cambro ones and feel they are a bit hard to clean especially the underside of the rim/edge.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 04:12:23 PM »
GR,

Are you talking about these?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-18-x-26-x-3-dough-proofing-box/40714021.html

I got the Cambro ones and feel they are a bit hard to clean especially the underside of the rim/edge.

Yup, those are the ones we use, the only issue I have ever had is my dish person not setting them on a flat surface right when they come out of the dish machine, we use a hot-water sanitizing machine, and if the boxes are let to cool and are not on a flat surface, they will hold the twisted shape until they get heated again. If I find that they are tweaked, the lids are not fitting tightly and may get some hardening on balls in the corners.
I like most all products from Cambro, but I did not like their dough boxes, they are over-engineered IMO..

We use dry-erase markers on our boxes for production dates, it cleans off nicely until some goober takes a stainless steel scuff pad to the boxes and scratches them
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!