Author Topic: Boston-style Greek Pizza  (Read 845 times)

Offline epfiii

Boston-style Greek Pizza
« on: September 17, 2011, 06:09:49 PM »
I came a little late to Pizza, at age 19 or 20 when I was a sophomore at Harvard College
in Cambridge, MA. I had always avoided dairy food since age 12, but when a friend
introduced me to the small mushroom pizza with extra sauce at Harvard House of Pizza
on Massachusetts Avenue, near Porter Square, it changed my life (and my weight).

35 years later, I love most kinds of pizza, but most especially the Greek pizza-house
style common in the Boston area. I've never quite figured out what it was that gave
this pizza its characteristic crispy and bubbly crust, along with other distinguishing
features, but it's finally occurred to me to use the internet as a resource.

Already I've seen some differences, and on this site I hope to learn more.
I plan to experiment with Boston Greek-style pizza at home, and will welcome
all tips, and be happy to share my experience with you all.

A word on the subject of pizza style:

This type of pizza is subject to the same degree of variation in style and quality
as any other pizza, or for that matter, andy other food. If you've had a good
pizza of any style, there is nothing to compare. Some of the best and worst
pizzas I've ever had could be classed as what is called Italian; the same applies
to the eastern New England Greek style. When done well, they are all heavenly.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Boston-style Greek Pizza
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:04:58 PM »
I came a little late to Pizza, at age 19 or 20 when I was a sophomore at Harvard College
in Cambridge, MA. I had always avoided dairy food since age 12, but when a friend
introduced me to the small mushroom pizza with extra sauce at Harvard House of Pizza
on Massachusetts Avenue, near Porter Square, it changed my life (and my weight).

35 years later, I love most kinds of pizza, but most especially the Greek pizza-house
style common in the Boston area. I've never quite figured out what it was that gave
this pizza its characteristic crispy and bubbly crust, along with other distinguishing
features, but it's finally occurred to me to use the internet as a resource.

Already I've seen some differences, and on this site I hope to learn more.
I plan to experiment with Boston Greek-style pizza at home, and will welcome
all tips, and be happy to share my experience with you all.

A word on the subject of pizza style:

This type of pizza is subject to the same degree of variation in style and quality
as any other pizza, or for that matter, andy other food. If you've had a good
pizza of any style, there is nothing to compare. Some of the best and worst
pizzas I've ever had could be classed as what is called Italian; the same applies
to the eastern New England Greek style. When done well, they are all heavenly.

epfiii,

Maybe you might want to look at the Greek Pizza thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.0.html  Many members have contributed to the Greek pizza thread. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!