Author Topic: hello and thanks  (Read 1611 times)

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
hello and thanks
« on: June 28, 2005, 12:27:16 PM »
I posted a hello in the general forum and had a request to stop by here to give some details on my chicago pizza.

Im really quite new to pizza making, and most of what I learned was from this site over the past few weeks.

For this pizza, I used buzz's dough reciped with a small twist. For the oil, I used 50% peanut oil (all i had) and 50% light olive oil. I cant detect any flavor from the peanut oil and i like the extra flavor I get from the olive oil. The crust is exactly what I was looking for so thanks a bunch buzz.

The sauce is a layer of 6 in 1 ground with some standard pizza spices mixed in and a can of Muir Glen diced tomatoes (drained) spread over the top. I would like to try some Escalon tomatoes but dont have access to them in my area (as far as I know).

With all of the great info on this site, I can now make a pizza at home that I think tops any Chicago style in my area.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: hello and thanks
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 12:47:54 PM »
burn8,

Welcome to the forum.

The 6-in-1s you used are from Escalon. A small number of the Escalon products are available at the retail level in some parts of the country, but all of their products can be ordered from Escalon itself, at the Escalon site at http://www.escalon.net. The closest products to the Escalon tomatoes are from Stanislaus, which services the foodservice industry. Unfortunately, the Stanislaus tomatoes cannot be ordered from their website. However, several of our members have found distributors and other places that carry them. They are usually in #10 cans, which weigh over 6 pounds.

Continued success with your pizzas. It looks like you are off to a great start.

Peter

Offline buzz

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 11:26:07 AM »
Glad it came out well for you! There was no flavor at all from the peanut oil?

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 01:50:28 PM »
@pete:

I would like to replace the Muir Glen diced tomatoes with some from Escalon. The Muir Glen just dont have the same sweet flavor that the 6 in 1 has.

@buzz:

I cant say there was no flavor, but there was no discernable flavor to my daft pallate  ;D
I did get a depth of flavor this time that I never had with any of my homemade Chicago style flaky crusts. Ill have to try the recipe exactly as you posted to see if there is a difference from the peanut oil.

-Allan

Offline buzz

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 02:59:55 PM »
Try real San Marzano's--sweeter. I always a add a little sugar.

I've had French fries  and potato chips cooked in peanut oil and I personally can taste the difference--try it with 90-95% canola and the rest light olive oil and see hiow you like it.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 03:38:36 PM »
Oil can certainly make a difference, but some times you have to be use to one to notice a change to another.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards