Author Topic: ezzo pepperoni question  (Read 1982 times)

Offline stymie

ezzo pepperoni question
« on: June 28, 2005, 10:53:58 PM »
Hello all,
I've been lurking, reading and learning since I found this place some 3 months ago. It's unbelievable in the  amount of information found in the pages of this forum. I would say my pies have made a 100% improvement in that time. Well enough any way that I haven't ordered from any of the big chain pizza places in that time and I don't plan to in the foreseeable future.

My first question I pose is what type of ezzo pepperoni would anyone recommend? I called them to ask about selling to walk in customers (and they do) and I got some pricing on the 38mm. The only thing is they have a few different types. They sell a 38mm ss (10lb for $29.50 and 25lb for around $70) and a 38mm plain (only comes in 25lb $70.00+) I was thinking about trying the ss as it comes in a smaller package but I was just wondering if anyone had tried it before.

Thanks again to all those that supply this place with the wealth of information that can be found, you really help the new (and probably some old) home pizza makers.

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
Re: ezzo pepperoni question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 09:35:01 AM »
Stymie,
The Ezzo 38mm has a calogen casing causing it to "cup" when cooked. The 41mm Ezzo does not have the calogen casing and does not cup when cooked. If you prefer to have the little cups of grease filled pep go for the 38mm. If you like your pep to basically lay flat aquire some 41mm.
The 38 is a hair thicker than the 41 but not much, if my memory serves me correctly. They both have very good taste. In my opinion, the Hormel presliced is very close in taste to the Ezzo, but I prefer the Ezzo. Basically it boils down to personal taste, but so far of the various peps I have used I like the Ezzo the best. Hope this helps.

Stymie, could you explain what the difference is in the 38 ss and the 38 plain. I'm not familiar with the difference and their web site is down for construction.

JAG

Offline stymie

Re: ezzo pepperoni question
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 04:10:44 PM »
I was kind of hoping someone here may know the difference between the two. There is a local chain (Massey's) here that uses the 38mm that cups and I'm pretty sure that they used to use ezzo. They have changed a bit over the years and went cheaper on their product (to make, not to buy) so I'm not sure if they still use them. Once the 5lb bag of pepperoni I got from GFS runs out I'll pick up a 10lb bag of the ss to try. Unless someone here let's me know otherwise first. I wish I would have called them before I bought that bag.