Author Topic: Problems with Dough  (Read 5675 times)

Offline VarunS

Re: Problems with Dough
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 08:16:29 AM »
Dear Tom,

I checked my formulation and I had been using 1% oil and not even 6 in the last few batches of dough that I made. I changed this to 6 while reducing appropriate grams of water and there was definitely a noticeable difference in the tenderness of the crust. Also I tried using a rolling pin to start my dough and made a 7-8" pie before hand stretching. It mostly made the process faster for me but still I had to be careful towards the end. Since I continued having minor issues with dough tearing at about 11.5 " diameter from a 300 gram ball I kneaded some more (5 mins by hand) and let it rest for half hour. This dough was tighter or stiffer but was easier to stretch   ??? . Perhaps next time I should knead some more at the start (before fermentation) to aid in extra gluten development?

Dear Don,

I tried the reverse mixing method and I landed up using 95 gms less flour than I normally would. When I felt the dough was little wet and sticky but still very manageable I stopped adding the flour. I have attached a picture of this. From this batch of dough I kneaded half by hand and the other half using a food processor and then let it rise for 2 hours at room temperature after which I scaled and balled the dough. The higher hydration doughs seemed to have a better oven spring.

Does this seem more like how a higher hydration dough would be or am I still off?

Thanks again

Varun

buceriasdon

Re: Problems with Dough
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 06:10:44 PM »
Varun, If you choose not to try a this approach I would fully understand but at this time I suggest you drop your hydration rate into the low to middle 50s. Ten percent less in other words. Pratice getting the feel with working a less extensible dough and then upping your hydration as you gain more confidence a few percent at a time. I duplicated your recipe with a 11% protein flour at 63% hydration and was able to get holes opening that had to be closed up however I purposefully let it rest at room temp. for three hours knowing how it would behave. Another thing you might try is to work the dough on the cooler side, not letting it come fully to room temp.
Don