Author Topic: "FRESH MOZZ"?  (Read 900 times)

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
"FRESH MOZZ"?
« on: September 19, 2011, 01:46:42 PM »
Hi,
I hope I can get my question across without too much confusion.

There is talk on this board about using "homemade mooz".  Now, I know some places uses housemade mozz and simply rips the small balls apart.  Its pretty apparent in Bianco's videos.

But, because I've talked to many, many pizzaiolos, several from NYC.  I've gotten different answers.

Some places that use FRESH MOOZ, are, in reality using a SALTED MOOZ CURD.  I've seen it and worked with it.  It comes in many ways.  Now, non salted comes in a cryvac type bag and contains quite a bit of whey, a bit crumbly and no flavor but a bit of milkiness. It CANT be used or I should say, SHOULDN'T be used without turning it into fresh mooz.

They have SALTED MOOZ CURD that comes in 5 lb blocks. Its easy to slice on the slicer into usable portions, about a 1/4 inch thick.  I believe this is an excellent product because it doesn't melt away, break up and kind of wash out like i see in so many pizzas that use fresh mooz.

A few years later, in Connecticut, I began to see this exact type of curd being marketed as "OLD FASHIONED FRESH MOOZ.  Again, in a log, easily slicable, great melting, melts WHITE and tastes like fresh mooz (we are talking fiore di latte, not buffalo)  It comes from a local company , Calabro, out of east haven.

And no matter what, every time I use FRESH MOOZ, the type in whey, from grande, polly o...it always melts away, to thin, if you know what I mean.  Even making my own mooz, from curd, not from milk, it melts the same way.

Has ANYONE here dealt with any of these products, and can I have an opinion.  So many here know so much, I figured Id give it a shot.....I will try and post it on the professional section also, if it is NOT a NO NO.  It just is a road less travelled.

Thanks again for your feedback.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 05:40:54 PM by gabaghool »

Online TXCraig1

Re: "FRESH MOZZ"?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 04:38:34 PM »
I'm confused. I thought you got milk from the MOOZ to make the MOZZ???    :-D
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:41:53 PM »
Sorry, Tx

Ive modified my original post.  I hope it make more sense.  My apologies.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »
I was kidding...  :'(
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

pizzapan