Author Topic: VPN Store  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
VPN Store
« on: September 20, 2011, 08:51:37 AM »
The VPN store is finally open. Flour, tomatoes, Olive oil, Oileras, aprons, hats, t-shirts and whatnot.

http://vpnstore.mybigcommerce.com/

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: VPN Store
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:15:19 AM »
Thanks you just cost me $40 bucks!!  ;D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:24:53 AM »
I get the feeling that my next order is going to be $40 high?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »
I get the feeling that my next order is going to be $40 high?

Gene, I didn't know you were such a fan of the VPN.  :D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 01:41:11 PM »
I would never do that Gene. BTW cigar was delightful!! 1 left in the Humidor
John

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 05:14:29 PM »
This just further adds to my growing irritation at this organization.

What a bunch of horse droppings. Screw the VPN.

$49.50 for a 55 pound bag of Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour is an absolute effing joke...and highway robbery at that. Not to mention the shipping is not even included. The only ones I can think that are worse are the jokesters at Forno Bravo charging $55 a bag.

I can go right now and buy a 55 pound bag of Caputo 00 flour for $33.90 (EDIT: Price as of yesterday evening). What exactly is the cause of the 49% increase in cost the VPN is charging? I would imagine they would be able to buy in the quantity needed to keep prices in line. It's simply bullocks and a money grab. Penn Mac has it at $39.95, which is much more fair.

And they can take that $25 dough spatula and shove it up their collective keisters. I can go to Home Depot and buy a very nice spatula that works equally as well for about half the price.

You would think the "premiere" teachers of Neapolitan pizza tradition would look for a way to make these types of products available to more people to help spread the love and tradition, not look for a way to bend you over and make you grip so hard you have red hand prints on your ankles when they are done with you.

Piss off VPN!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:35:21 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 05:43:15 PM »
To be fair the clothing is pretty well priced and I just blew a gasket, but whaddya gonna do? --K

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 06:08:41 PM »
....What exactly is the cause of the 49% increase in cost the VPN is charging?

Kelly, It is VPN Certified Caputo 00 flour, not just the normal Caputo 00 flour.  That in itself would justify the increase in price, right ?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 06:32:24 PM »
Kelly, It is VPN Certified Caputo 00 flour, not just the normal Caputo 00 flour.  That in itself would justify the increase in price, right ?

Bingo!  :-D  Well played.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 07:36:27 PM »

LMFAO!  :-D

Yes it would justify the price increase.

That's quite good....and you let me off for making a derriere of myself quite nicely I might add. Muchas gracias! --K

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 07:59:28 PM »
 :-[ I bought the cool hat , a tee shirt and the Pucinella which I think is cool and I cant get it so I really dont care its only money. disposalble income ?  Oh -I just bought the home depot scraper it was $7.99 really nice!!  But yeah $49.50 for a bag of Caputo you gotta be kiddinn!  I am at $28 and change!!
se lavie
John
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:11:32 PM by JConk007 »

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 08:28:04 AM »
Why get upset about somebody who charges higher prices than you're willing to pay. It's still a free market and we have the choice of whether we want to buy or not.
When we buy something like Trump flour, we know the formulation. When a product is VPN certified we don't know if somebody made the sign of the cross over the product
and whether or not it is better than not certified products, simply because the manufacturer does not pay the certification fees.
Each step in the process from manufacturing, distributing and re-distributing keeps adding to the cost plus profit. And everybody knows what shipping cost can do to you
In summary, one has to determine whether a buying Caputto 00 at five times the cost is worth the price to get a 10% increase in taste.
As Bruno Santos who writes for PMQ magazine says "Italian pizza is not better, its different". So shop carefully and if there are people who are willing to pay the high price, that's no skin
off our noses.

pat

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 08:56:28 AM »
When a product is VPN certified we don't know if somebody made the sign of the cross over the product
and whether or not it is better than not certified products, simply because the manufacturer does not pay the certification fees.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that there are specific products that are VPN-certified? This is news to me. As far as I know, Caputo 00 Pizzeria Flour is just one brand of flour that is used by Neapolitan-style pizzerias around the world, including many that are VPN-certified.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 12:00:57 PM »
When a product is VPN certified we don't know if somebody made the sign of the cross over the product

Pretty sure what Jet Deck said was a joke and poking fun at them. You have to read it with some sarcasm.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »
Pretty sure what Jet Deck said was a joke and poking fun at them. You have to read it with some sarcasm.

+1

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 11:10:05 PM »
I used to get my Caputo at Antica Pizzeria for 35 bucks a bag, but since they closed I guess Peppe thought he would finally get the online store going to makeup for the loss of income.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 12:55:41 AM »
I used to get my Caputo at Antica Pizzeria for 35 bucks a bag, but since they closed I guess Peppe thought he would finally get the online store going to makeup for the loss of income.
Why'd they close, bad food??? Isn't the school held there?

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 10:35:32 AM »
Peppe, loss his lease.  Their website says they are "negotiating" on a new location still in Marina Del Rey.

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »
Bill/SFNM to clarify a point, there are products that are VPN certified by a licensing group Italy. There are San Marzano Tomatoes that are VPN certified and San Marzano tomatoes that are not.
One is not necessarily better than the other.
Here is a link that profiles a pizzeria that is VPN certified. VPN specifies what ingredients go into your dough, and what kind of pizza is allowed and what temperature to bake at.
I posted this into one of the other forums and a person said that there are plenty of pizzerias with VPN certification. In truth only 50 in  the US.
Here is the link:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110915/COL20/109150355/Pizza-Neopolitan-way?odyssey=mod

pat

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »
Bill/SFNM to clarify a point, there are products that are VPN certified by a licensing group Italy. There are San Marzano Tomatoes that are VPN certified and San Marzano tomatoes that are not.

Never heard of VPN certified products, tomatoes or otherwise. Can you cite a source? Thanks much.

pizzapan