Author Topic: VPN Store  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: VPN Store
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 01:45:33 PM »
I thought pizzerias were certified VPN, products were DOP?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 01:46:37 PM »
I thought pizzerias were certified VPN, products were DOP?

Me, too. Big difference, although neither are particularly indicative of quality.

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 02:35:25 PM »
You're right, I took the VPN training at Antica Pizzeria and VPN cert. is for the pizzaiolo and for the pizzeria, DOP is for the products.   You can go to there website and under "get certified" it will tell you what there rules are as far as VPN goes.

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 02:37:49 PM »
BECOME A MEMBER OF VPN AMERICAS

Certify your pizzeria or restaurant and join the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana.

If you operate in full accordance with the following association rules:

1. A Wood-Burning Oven.
The real Pizza Napoletana must be cooked in a wood-fired dome oven operating at roughly 900F.
Gas, coal or electric ovens, while capable of produce wonderful pizza, are not conformed to the Pizza Napoletana tradition.

2. Proper Ingredients. Only fresh, all-natural, non-processed ingredients (preferably imported from Naples or Campania region) are acceptable: Flour (Type 00),San Marzano (plum) tomatoes, all natural Fior-di-Latte or Bufala fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, sea salt and yeast.

3. Proper Technique. Pizza dough kneaded either by hand, or with a low speed mixer (fork or spiral with revolving bowl. No planetary or vertical mixers are allowed).
No mechanical dough shaping, such as a dough press or rolling pin, are allowed. Pizza baking time should not exceed 90 seconds.

4. Proper Equipment. A proper work surface (usually a marble slab), a wood pizza peel to introduce the pizza into the oven and a long handle metal round peel to turn and remove the pizza from the oven.

5. The Final Product. Pizza Napoletana is not larger than 11 inches with a raised edge crust and thin center. The pizza should be soft and elastic, and easily foldable, .

you can have the possibility to become a member of our association and bear the prestigious VPN sign outside your store.

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 02:41:30 PM »
Bill/SFNM to clarify a point, there are products that are VPN certified by a licensing group Italy. There are San Marzano Tomatoes that are VPN certified and San Marzano tomatoes that are not.
One is not necessarily better than the other.
Here is a link that profiles a pizzeria that is VPN certified. VPN specifies what ingredients go into your dough, and what kind of pizza is allowed and what temperature to bake at.
I posted this into one of the other forums and a person said that there are plenty of pizzerias with VPN certification. In truth only 50 in  the US.
Here is the link:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110915/COL20/109150355/Pizza-Neopolitan-way?odyssey=mod

pat

Please check your facts.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 04:17:17 PM »
Actually, Royal Oak in the previous link is not on the current list of American VPN certified joints, of which there are 64 at last count. At least 65 now with Royal Oak.

http://anticapizzeria.net/vpn/member%20list.pdf
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 04:18:17 PM »
Please check your facts.

That's too much effort when there are others that will do it for you.  :P

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »
Bill/SFNM to clarify a point, there are products that are VPN certified by a licensing group Italy. There are San Marzano Tomatoes that are VPN certified and San Marzano tomatoes that are not.
One is not necessarily better than the other.
Here is a link that profiles a pizzeria that is VPN certified. VPN specifies what ingredients go into your dough, and what kind of pizza is allowed and what temperature to bake at.
I posted this into one of the other forums and a person said that there are plenty of pizzerias with VPN certification. In truth only 50 in  the US.
Here is the link:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110915/COL20/109150355/Pizza-Neopolitan-way?odyssey=mod

pat

You are reading to many articles written by people who IMHO don't really know anything about Neapolitan pizza(let alone pizza in general) and just regurgitate what they are told by spot light pizzeria owners and use the "VPN" "DOP" "STG" things as marketing ploy. Seeing how there aren't that many Neapolitan pizzerias in the US(there are something like 69,000+ pizzerias in the US) in general 50-60 VPN certifications is a lot.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 04:59:49 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 05:12:38 PM »
The Italian VPN does seem to have a "Register of Official Suppliers", but it doesn't give much detail: http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/eng_albo_fornitori.php

Cheers

Peter V.

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 08:34:41 AM »
Bill; that is what first post in this thread is all about. Jet-Deck is offering products that have been VPN certified.
In my area of the upstate New York, I might San Marzano tomatoes pureed, crushed etc. In an Italian store or
occasionally in the supermarket.
Check out the first post and Jet-Deck provides a link to his on-line site. Whether your area of the country would
have the same products, would require your checking. If you want to purchase from Jet-Deck or any other on-line
would be your decision as to whether it's worth it or not.

pat

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 08:44:41 AM »
Bill; that is what first post in this thread is all about. Jet-Deck is offering products that have been VPN certified.
In my area of the upstate New York, I might San Marzano tomatoes pureed, crushed etc. In an Italian store or
occasionally in the supermarket.
Check out the first post and Jet-Deck provides a link to his on-line site. Whether your area of the country would
have the same products, would require your checking. If you want to purchase from Jet-Deck or any other on-line
would be your decision as to whether it's worth it or not.

pat

Pat, I'm pretty sure that is not Jet Deck's online store.  Although I'm sure JD can enlighten us on the situation.  JD, are you in any way affiliated with the VPN or the distribution of their products?  ???  ;D

Chau
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:57:33 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 08:57:53 AM »
Pat, I'm pretty sure that is not Jet Deck's online store.  Although I'm sure JD can enlighten us on the situation.  JD, are you in any way afflicted with the VPN or the distribution of their products?  ???  ;D

Chau

If he was, the site would be selling homemade mixers and brick ovens too  :-D

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 11:59:08 AM »
Pat, I'm pretty sure that is not Jet Deck's online store.  Although I'm sure JD can enlighten us on the situation.  JD, are you in any way afflicted with the VPN or the distribution of their products?  ???  ;D

Chau

Chau, your right.  I am not afflicted or affiliated with the store or the VPn.  It is not my online store.  I recieved an Email from the VPN store saying that they were now open.  I had registered or inquired with them some months ago about the store website not showing any prices or something to that effect.  The email showed up in my inbox, so I thought I would share with everyone...

On a side note, I would like to dress-up my two cockapoos (cocker spaniel / poodles) as pupatella or pulincenella or what ever the little puppets are, for halloween.  Does anyone have an inside on VPN dog costumes?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 12:09:58 PM »
On a side note, I would like to dress-up my two cockapoos (cocker spaniel / poodles) as pupatella or pulincenella or what ever the little puppets are, for halloween.  Does anyone have an inside on VPN dog costumes?

Love it!

My dog is going to be a bananna split for Halloween (it looks hilarious), but I like your idea better.

Oh, the humiliation! :)

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 12:24:51 PM »
Gene, I caught the word error too late, but it does seem fitting.  Darn auto correct!

Dressing up your dog as a pulcinella would be awesome.  Pics please!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:44:31 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2011, 06:47:55 AM »
Thanks for setting me straight on the proper terminology of VPN and DOP.
In this case I was DOPe certified

pat

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2011, 09:30:38 AM »
Thanks for setting me straight on the proper terminology of VPN and DOP....

pat

That is the great thing about this forum, everyone is here to learn, and eventually we all do. :)
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline nbickett

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2011, 06:22:22 PM »
Has anyone seen this type of dough spatula/scraper (link below) somewhere else i.e. under $20/25?

http://vpnstore.mybigcommerce.com/products/12%22-Spatula.html

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2011, 06:28:27 PM »
Has anyone seen this type of dough spatula/scraper (link below) somewhere else i.e. under $20/25?

http://vpnstore.mybigcommerce.com/products/12%22-Spatula.html

I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PSANAE/?tag=pizzamaking-20

It isn't stainless. Gets tarnished a bit, but the dough doesn't know the difference. I ground the edge slightly to make it a little sharper to better cut through the dough.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member

pizzapan