Author Topic: Cracker crusts in WFO???  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Jackitup

Cracker crusts in WFO???
« on: September 15, 2011, 07:14:06 AM »
Does anyone or has anyone tried cracker crusts in WFO. Don't have mine yet, might have to wait til next year as some things have come up but just wondering.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Cracker crusts in WFO???
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 08:07:59 AM »
Jon I have done it   worked fine just cant be at 850 ! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8460.0.html  There are  a few other posts on this as well I have tried it several times works fine.  just do a search. What oven did you decide to get ?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:03:21 AM »
Does anyone or has anyone tried cracker crusts in WFO. Don't have mine yet, might have to wait til next year as some things have come up but just wondering.
Jon

Jon,

I did post at Reply 944 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg152549.html#msg152549
that Steveís friend made a style like a cracker-style that was first baked on one side, then pulled out of the oven and dressed, then baked on the other side.  I posted that those pies tasted like a cracker-style pie should taste, even though I havenít mastered a cracker-style consistently.  :-D  Steveís friend rolled out the dough.  I am not sure what formula he used though.  Seems like he just adds ingredients.  I didnít take pictures of how the pies were then in two layers, but this is a picture I had on my camera of the cracker style pie.  Steveís oven was running somewhere about in the 800ís.  I never thought a cracker-style could be made in a WFO, before I tasted Steveís friend pie.  The dough wasnít really low hydration, but sure wasnít like a regular a regular formula for a WFO pie.  I commented many times to Steveís friend how delicious I thought his pies were.  :) They were very crisp when eaten, but werenít burnt.  Maybe Steve will see this post, or I can ask him to ask his friend how he makes his dough.  I think Steve's friend is a member here on the forum, but doesn't post.

I know you like cracker-style pies, so maybe some experimenting might be in order when you get your WFO.  ;D

Good luck!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:14:59 AM »
Still leaning towards the Toscana 90. In your WFO cracker crusts did you guys use regular HG flour? Thinking a low hydration 00 flour may lend some decent results not having the burning tendency at higher heats. What do you guys think?
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Ev

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:45:50 AM »
My friend, Bob, said it was a HG flour but didn't mention a brand. The way he buys his flour, he probably doesn't know. Also, as far as hydration, he said he just adds water until it "feels right". I never saw a pizza baked the way he does it before. 8)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »
My friend, Bob, said it was a HG flour but didn't mention a brand. The way he buys his flour, he probably doesn't know. Also, as far as hydration, he said he just adds water until it "feels right". I never saw a pizza baked the way he does it before. 8)

Steve,

I think Bob mentioned on Friday that he used high-gluten flour (Kyrol) that he buys from the Country Store. Do you remember your friend Bob saying that?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »
I use an AP or bread flour with the cracker crust
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Ev

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 06:06:35 PM »
Steve,

I think Bob mentioned on Friday that he used high-gluten flour (Kyrol) that he buys from the Country Store. Do you remember your friend Bob saying that?

Norma

Yes, I remember he said HG flour from the Country Store, but I don't think he knew it was Kyrol at the time. Now that you mention it though, I do remember you saying it was Kyrol HG that they sell there.

Offline Ev

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 06:11:22 PM »
Also, Bob was not specifically trying to make cracker style. His pizzas just seemed a little like cracker style because of the way he baked them.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 03:29:15 PM »
Hi guys,
Posting late here but I've done a handful of cracker crusts on a Bubba Keg Grill.  It's an insulated steel version of the Big Green Egg komado style cookers.  I used a stone and tried temps from 450-650F.  I like the results around 500F best.  I was burning mesquite lump charcoal.  I made sure the charcoal had all lit and burned to its peak temp and was declining, a sure indication that all the charcoal was lit.  This is really important so you don't get a sooty smoke on the food. Frankly, I couldn't taste the fact that I had cooked on charcoal.   It may be some flavoring, but it was subtle.

pizzapan