Author Topic: Wheels on Wheels  (Read 14854 times)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
Wheels on Wheels
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »
I started working on a pizza trailer concept a year or so ago and the project is now gaining steam.  I don't have the ambition of John to run a serious operation, i just like to build things and make pizza.  I have some friends who i'll loan this to if it works and i'm sure we'll do some parties here and there. 
anyway, here's what i've got so far - the 42" oven itself is from BlazingOvens in Canada.  Member Matthew helped me out with this crucial component.  The castings look really nice.  i believe this will turn out to be a great choice for the engine.  The trailer is an ex-military unit.  The first spark for this project happened when I saw such a trailer on the road one day and thought it would be perfect for this use.  it's about the size of a pickup truck bed and is really heavy-duty.  That's a good thing since i'll have a considerable amount of weight on it when i'm done.  We've built a pan of sorts that bolts into the trailer where the oven will be.  it's designed so that it can be removed as a complete unit if we get tired of the trailer deal.  We've painted the trailer and lined the bed.  The other advantage of this trailer is it's cheap! 
here are a few pictures of my progress so far.  i hope to have it all done in a month. 
bill

Offline Matthew

Re: Wheels on Wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 10:57:32 AM »
Good stuff Bill.  I can't wait to see the finished product.  What impressed me most about these ovens is that the fit & finish is perfect.  They perform extremely well; you will be really impressed.

Matt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »
I agree with  Matthew fit and finish of the oven  look very nice, and mass in CAnada right? not china?
the Military Trailer Is perfect for the applications. If I go bigger I was considering the smaller dump trailers beefy and little modification needed.  It appears your hearth will be at the right height howevr set ups on grass beaches... Are not allways level will you have jacks for leveling off your trailer?
Oh once you start you will see it's quite fun and addictive!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »
John, i have been looking forward to your input and observations!  the floor height is even with the trailer rails - about 46".  that's about perfect for me.  the trailer has jacks front and back but not side to side. 
i'm going to try to set the dome this weekend. 
Matt is right, these castings are really nice.  they're made in Canada. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 02:47:37 AM »
What are plans for the side to side movement of the oven once in place ? and top down pressures I have heard of several cave ins this year  on other brands .
Gonna be great !
John

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »
are you talking about rocking on the suspension?  it doesn't move around much when i climb around in there so that shouldn't be a problem. what do you mean by top-down pressures?  don't like the sound of cave-ins!  this oven looks really tight and strong.  i do plan to tie it down to the floor pan.  i plan to use cables on top of the first layer of insulation. that is mostly for if something bad happens while transporting. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »
When you go around the corner there are.G forces. Pulling the oven from side to side same thing when you stop I can recommend you create a frame and pour the base of the oven right in place you can also run cable then into this concrete to the oven which also helps secure it. With nothing around the base when you hit a big bump like RR track or somthing its like stomping on top of ball tendancy is to squish. Visual would dropping a waterballoon out PM me and we can go over I don't want to hi jack your thread with my opinions
John
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:01:15 PM by JConk007 »

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
John,
that sounds like what i've got going.  my steel pan is bolted into the trailer, the subfloor is poured into the pan and the dome is secured through the concrete and steel with stainless cables.  i'll put up some photos of that later.  i'm trying to get the pearlcrete insulating layer done today. 
please keep the discourse and opinions going, no threat of hijack! 
thanks,
bill

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »
great! it looked from ptr6 above to be just kinda sitting on there did not see a pan. I will await further pictures
Awesome Job!!

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »
a few more progress shots on the trailer.  i used all of the pearlite i could find today.  will have to finish this week.  the dome went together very well.  the fit is just about perfect. 
bill

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 07:54:41 AM »
Looking good ! are you going to pour the conc around the insulation and base of dome or am I not seeing it. Cable on my oven were drilled into dome and run back to corners of trailer kinda pulling out a bit. You should be fine! You will be cooking in no time chimney plate and double wall pipe right ? stucco finish?
very cool project!! The oven does look very nice! gonna cook like a dream I bet.
John

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 09:11:01 AM »
the steel pan has 3" of concrete in it.  see #5 and #4 in the top post.  i think the cables will hold it all in place, i hope so anyway!  chimney is single wall stainless.  i'm planning a stucco finish.
how do you ensure that your floor doesn't get wet if it rains?  i don't think it would be good for the subfloor insulating panels to get wet.  i was thinking about a chimney cap and a fitted tarp of some sort.  i can park it in a shed but i'm sure it will get rained on at some point. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 10:02:43 AM »
Bill, fantastic mobile unit and oven.  I love the fit and finish.  I'm sure it will bake up some fantastic pies!

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 12:17:03 PM »
thanks Chau! 

Offline Tman1

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 03:35:29 PM »
Looks like a sturdy unit.. both the oven and the trailer!  I looked up the oven website, but there isn't a mention of NSF or ETL listings.... seems to be a big deal according to health departments if you want to get licensed.  I noticed JConk mentioned it, so I'm going to reiterate that you should really think about double wall chimney.. someone IS going to touch that thing (is this hot??) and it won't be good. I'm not even a crazy safety guy, and I think you should re-think that part.

Sure does look like a clean install so far. Good luck!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 05:23:26 PM »
Bill,

Your WFO and trailer really look great!  :)  Can't wait to see the pies coming out of your oven.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »
thanks TMan and Norma.  it may be too late for double wall  :'(

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 08:04:57 PM »
Why too late? On my earthstone I just used high temp sealant and screwed the mounting plate with Blue concrete screws onto flat surface pipe goes right on plate? easy on and off for transport I posted pics  over in flyboy build  thread. I envisioned another 2 " layer of concrete around the insulating board before the blanket and perlite Concrete is tapered up over the the actual dome 3-4" up sides,  that holds the oven put for sure. .  I Think you will be fine your not going racing or off roading (although you are set for Battle   ;) with that baby ! Few other thoughts .. do you plan to get it weighed GVWs when complete? did you register it commercial ?  Will you be able to move and or spin the unit by hand after disconnecting from truck?  or hoping to back into place where it needs to go. That was my quandry with the rear facing or side facing oven. Turns out I can get all most anywhere with 2-3 people pushing and 40" is plenty big ! 3 at a time if good we will see I have 100 people friday night!! back yard beach, drivway any side... again youll be fine. I think they sell more side facing than rear units   BTW my mobile oven has only 4 layers of blanket and then stucco so this willl be super duper insulated. !!
again great job  with the build and more important  probaby 1/2 the  $$ price !! so 10 less events before profit!
John
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:09:39 PM by JConk007 »

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 09:13:40 AM »
update on my progress.  i underestimated the amount of pearlite i would need so it took a while to find enough to finish that part of the job. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 10:52:49 AM »
Bill the fit and finish on these ovens are just fantastic!  Definitely something for FB to strive towards.   :-D