Author Topic: Bell'Orto Tomato products by Heinz  (Read 4192 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Bell'Orto Tomato products by Heinz
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:58:46 PM »
I've recently been seeing this brand around, both at restaurant supply store and today at Walmart. Anyone using them? If so, any feedback would be appreciated.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: Bell'Orto Tomato products by Heinz
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
I recently bought a #10 can of Heinz/Bell'Orto vine-ripened whole "unpeeled crushed" tomatoes.  They certainly got my attention; they had incredible flavor; so I looked into them some more. They are packed by Escalon Premier...should've known.

I believe Escalon took over processing and packing after the Heinz Stockton plant closure. I haven't necessarily been a fan of Heinz products for pizza, but Heinz has made several changes over that past 3 years or so, including extensive cross pollination for better tomato flavor etc. I believe for the most part Heinz is using a round Italian paste tomato vs the blocky Roma's that Escalon and Stanislaus uses.

The Bell'Orto's had impressive vine-ripened flavor! Very aromatic and tasty; right from the can!
I would definitely put them right up there with Escalon and Stanislaus tomatoes. They weren't sweet like 6 in 1s but have about the same consistency; maybe a tad chunkier. (Think of a light marinara.) They had small bits of peel. I'm having trouble remembering if they had seeds or not.

It's been decades since I've used the Bell'Orto concentrated tomatoes, but I think I need to give them another try.

Hope this helps.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:47:19 PM »
I believe Escalon took over processing and packing after the Heinz Stockton plant closure. I haven't necessarily been a fan of Heinz products for pizza, but Heinz has made several changes over that past 3 years or so, including extensive cross pollination for better tomato flavor etc. I believe for the most part Heinz is using a round Italian paste tomato vs the blocky Roma's that Escalon and Stanislaus uses.

As far as I know, Escalon is owned by Heinz. Could be wrong on this, though, but below's statement from Heinz makes it most likely:

One Heinz factory that processes our fresh-packed, ripe red tomatoes has recently made a significant green improvement. In Escalon, California, Heinz has reduced the environmental impact of that facility and lowered its natural gas consumption in the process.

The improvements focused on reducing emissions of nitrogen oxide to meet the new regulations in the San Joaquin Valley.

The Escalon team came up with an innovative and cost-effective solution. First, two idle boilers were transferred from the Heinz facility in Stockton to replace two aging boilers in Escalon, while keeping two other active boilers in Escalon intact. Heinz then retrofitted four boilers at Escalon with selective catalytic reduction technology that treats boiler exhaust gas with ammonia to convert nitrogen oxide into nitrogen and water vapor.

The two-step combination was a success. Escalon sharply reduced nitrogen oxide emissions to levels that average well below the tough new emissions limits of 9 parts per million, and it also lowered carbon monoxide emissions by 2.5 tons a year. Plus, there was an added environmental benefit: Escalon reduced its natural gas consumption by 7,000 MMBTUs, reflecting the success of the boiler replacements and efficiency upgrades.

The Escalon factory processes fresh-packed tomatoes that Heinz markets under these brands: 6 in 1, Allegro, Bella Rosa, Bell'Orto, Bonta, Christina's, Christoforo, El Verano Sabrosos, Heinz, and Mama Linda.

http://www.heinz.com/sustainability/environment/case-studies.aspx

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 03:50:40 PM »
Hi Essen1

Yes, you are correct, Heinz did buy Escalon Premier Brands a handful of years ago. Before that they weren't related at all. It wasn't a "take-over" of the Escalon Brand and operations have for the most part stayed "intact". Escalon is a "fresh pack" operation.  Heinz has had it's own separate processing plants for their "Heinz label" products (ketchup, vinegar and canned tomatoes etc). Escalon just recently started processing "Heinz Fresh pack" products when they closed their "Heinz brand" tomato processing and packing plant in Stockton within the last year or so. 

The Bell'Orto is a Heinz label product that is now processed and packed at Escalon plant. The tomatoes that come in for Heinz are a different variety than what comes in for the Escalon label. So, until recently I have not been a fan of Heinz canned tomato products. I have been a fan of Escalon products for 27 years. So I hope my comments make more sense.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 12:54:04 PM »
I have never heard of,or seen these Bell'orto before.It's possible I never noticed them on the shelf.
I will be on the look out for them,next time I get to the food stores.Would love to try some new products.
 :)
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »
I wanted to post I have not seen this can anywhere in the food stores in my surrounding areas.I really wanted to try them but no dice.No one ever heard of them either.Weird.Must be the hick location I live in.
 :-D

-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 10:08:28 PM »
chickenparm

Check a nearby Walmart, they may be there now. Walmart has been expanding their tomato product lines. These tomatoes along with Classico products are Heinz products and seem to be going into wider distribution.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 10:11:03 PM »
chickenparm

Check a nearby Walmart, they may be there now. Walmart has been expanding their tomato product lines. These tomatoes along with Classico products are Heinz products and seem to be going into wider distribution.

Thanks Buddy.I did find a can of them some time back,but they only sold diced tomatoes.I bought them and still have them in my cabinet.Will save them for chili or something.I did not see any other Bell Orto products tonight at walmart.They still only sell the diced.

-Bill

Offline jgestner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 01:36:26 PM »
Hi Gang
I am very anxious to get to a local Walmart to check for the Classico 6in1 clones.

For those of you that want to get a little water out of the tomatoes, I just place a napkin or paper towel on top of them. The water will wick out in less than a minutes and the tomatoes almost never stick to the paper, only clear or almost clear water. For a 28 oz can 1 napkin or paper towel is usually adequate, more for a #10 can.

I hate washing strainers. ;D

John in Merrill

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »
I will sometimes line a strainer with a paper coffee filter to drain some water off of tomatoes.

Offline Silvaire

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 01:22:46 PM »
I wandered onto this thread while doing an internet search for "6 in 1" tomatoes, which I really enjoy using in my pizza sauce.

This Heinz press release is dated 2007:
http://www.heinz.com/csr2007/enviro/escalon.htm

Of particular interest to me was the last sentence which stated:
"The Escalon factory processes fresh-packed tomatoes that Heinz markets under the brands: 6 in 1, Allegro, Bella Rosa, Bell'Orto, Bonta, Christina's, Christoforo, El Verano Sabrosos, Heinz, and Mama Linda."

Yes, there are TEN different lines of tomato products that come from the Heinz Escalon factory - including the legendary "6 in 1" brand.

I just picked up a #10 can of Bell'Orto crushed tomatoes ($4.99) at Smart & Final yesterday and am looking forward to trying them out.  
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:30:18 PM by Silvaire »