Author Topic: portable wood oven project  (Read 4552 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
portable wood oven project
« on: September 24, 2011, 11:54:01 AM »
after purchasing the pizza kettle 21 inch plus the extension i was thinking of how to get it to cook real Neapolitan pizza. i look at the franken webber design and decided to try to turn the kettle pizza oven unto something similar. the dimensions of the oven is 26 inches inside so i figured if the fono bravo primever 60 could cook a 90 second pizza i could get this thing to do the same.
 what i wanted to do was put a layer of fire brick over foam insulation in the bottom. add metal last and refractory to the top. if i could keep it t one inch thick i would still have the same dimensions as the p60.that was my plan.
  one of my customers is a mason specializing in chimney repair. he is a authorized solid flue distributor and claimes that 3/4 inch thickness keeps over 3000 degrees away from the outer part of a structure. so we are now building this oven,it is finished and drying.i am going to try thit thing next week. please give me your thoughts on this project.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: portable wood oven project
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
 a couple more pics

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:08:34 AM »
Are you planning to fire it like wfo? No propane?
I'll be interested in the results. Good luck!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:10:07 AM »
Only thought I have is How many oven you need?? 
seriously-  very cool!! Just a guess but I am thinking its gonna work! they just closed the lake where I belong and I have pickins on the left over webers people dont take with them, hmmm  ???  mind is spinning again, and  I await the results!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:31:46 AM »
 this was just a project to use up a knock off webber grill i had. i purchased the pizza extension an realized it wasn't going to do what i wanted so i used some old brick and my friend wanted to see if the material he uses would hold heat like the manufacture said it would. we will see. this would truly be portable 125 pounds or so. will seeif it works this week.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 07:21:12 PM »
i tested the oven tonight it has potential. it was very smoky till it hit temperature.the oven heated quick 775 floor 900 roof. it easily baked in under 90 seconds.the dough was wet 65% and the pizza took to long to set causing the front edge to be by the flame to long. this cooked a Neapolitan pizza with a flame next to it and i can take it any were.

Offline meatboy

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 03:29:10 PM »
let me understand ;)

you put firebricks in the base of your Weber grill, and filled up the extension and Weber top lid with refractory?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »
Larry, I think you can pull a good pizza out of anything.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 05:29:15 PM »
craig, thanks but it is going to be a challenge cooking so close to the flame. i added a pizza stone over the bricks because the bricks  moved from the heat. the stone was a half moon design that is 16 inches from the straight edge to the round end. if i could come up with a 16 inch round stone on a bushing i could rotate the stone .it is tight in this oven.
 fabian, this idea came up before i saw your oven, your dome is what my next attempt will use. i have a friend building a steel base 27 inches round 4 inches deep . two sets of hand grips. i figure 2 inch foam insulation plus 1.5 inch firebrick. the dome hopefully designed similar to yours will set on top. my dome has 3/4 inch of a material called solid flue. with wire last that has been fastened to the dome holding it on. it should of been thicker as it gets up to 300 degrees on the outside.  the other issue is the need for a flue it would make start up much cleaner. is yours in two sections sides then a top? this unit sits at 13 inches from floor to top. to much lower and the wood would not fit without cutting really small. your thoughts?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 10:40:14 PM »
 tried the portable set up again tonight. it was easier to cook in it this time. zero to 775 degree floor was 30 minutes.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 10:46:09 PM »
WOW Larry great stuff!! and why did we buy these wood fired ovens again??  ???
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline meatboy

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 05:18:27 AM »
wow, looking great so far!

Is the "base" a 26.5 weber or another brand?

Cheers

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 07:27:20 AM »
 it is 26 inch knockoff from lowes . i didn't want to ruin a good webber if it was a bust. this grill was an end of the season close out.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 07:54:37 AM »
Fantastic job Larry! Best looking NP pizza from a small portable oven I have seen.  You've basically miniturized a wfo.  I think i'll be building one of these this winter. 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »
 thanks, that was my hope. it seem to have potential. one tasting note, the pizza had a little more smokiness that my bigger oven .the cheese tated a little like a aged provolone. i liked the slight difference in taste. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 10:35:18 AM »
Larry, I just gotta say, the first of the 2 latest ones posted is one of the BEST I have seen.  It's just stunning all the way around.

How was the dough mixed on this one? Hand, FP, spiral mixer?  Cake yeast or starter?  You pies are looking awesome lately.

Chau
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:16:22 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 08:25:34 AM »
Thanks,first i am using your curd streaching method now and it has made a big difference . I used my large vcm10 ponds of caputo 1 pound of high gluten 2.8 salt 62 hydration 1 percent wet yeast.45 second mix.four strech and folds over two hours .ball and refrigerate.this was made saturday am used monday pm..

Offline meatboy

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 08:40:26 AM »
one more question ;)

Do you have a chimney or a hole in your top cover? I'm thinking of removing my 22" weber and place my cements parts on a pizzastone - same way as you did :)

Cheers

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 01:52:14 PM »
the first picture shows the holes left in the dome for air.the last firing had very little smoke. doing a new bake tonight if my dough proof enough.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 08:16:32 PM »
 looks like a keeper!! i am looking at getting a form for the dome, three parts. with a base of 4 inch high rolled steel with four handles and a solid bottom. two inches of insulated foam and the fire brick.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 08:18:16 PM by thezaman »

pizzapan