Author Topic: Gotta catch'em all!!!  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Sour_Jax

• You've been weighed, measured and found kneading.
    • SourJax Creations Studio
Gotta catch'em all!!!
« on: June 29, 2005, 07:01:06 PM »
What follows is a "play-by-play" of how my "Wild Yeast/Sourdough" experiment is going.

At the advice of this forum I ordered Ed Wood's book "Classic Sourdoughs".  I am aware of the arguments for and against catching wild yeast vs. buying a culture.  My decision to catch a wild yeast was really a combination of many different factors. First, I'm not paying for a culture I'll have to destroy (and have to rebuy) once a year*. Second, I wanted a unique culture (thus a unique flavor) not something that has been (or could be) obtained by a lot of people. Third, well third was several other reasons.

Day 1
1. I combined 2 c. flour and 1.5 c. water, stirred vigorously to get as much oxygen in the mixture. (8 am)
2. Checked on noticing bubbles, stirred. (8pm)
Day 2
3. Got home from work, checked noticed more bubbles.  Added 1 c. flour and .75 c. water, stirred vigorously. (8 am)
4. Got up and checked on it, noticed the frothy layer of foam mentioned in the book. Placed it in the fridge. (5:30 pm)

To be continued...

(*Note: This is connected to a religous practice, and has nothing to do with baking or anything else.)
The best things in life are free! Salvation being the greatest!

Give a man a pizza, he'll be happy for a day.
Teach him to make pizza, he'll be happy for a lifetime.

visit
www.handbookforlife.com
www.SourJax.net

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Gotta catch'em all!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 07:23:26 PM »
Sour Jax,

In my limited experience (I have 5 active cultures: 2 naturally-collected and 3 purchased), a full activation after only two feedings may be not be a good sign. The best cultures I have captured have required several days of feeding. But you never know.

How did it smell? It may smell fine now, but when you activate it again, it may have an unpleasant odor if contaminated with undesirable microbes. I have found that the slightest hint of bad smell indicates contamination that can become more dominant with successive feedings.  But that may just have been my bad luck.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

Bill/SFNM

Offline Sour_Jax

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 08:53:22 AM »
Day 4- Culture has taken on a "funny" smell, whether this is good or bad I'm not sure.  Only a time will tell.

visit
www.handbookforlife.com
www.SourJax.net

Offline Sour_Jax

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 09:07:27 AM »
I just checked on the culture and have noticed the "funny" smell now smells strongly like sour milk, and the "hooch" is somewhere in the middle.  Thus My first attempt is a failure.

visit
www.handbookforlife.com
www.SourJax.net

pizzapan