Author Topic: Stubborn Dough  (Read 171 times)

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
Stubborn Dough
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:24:04 PM »
My last batch of pizza dough refused to extend or stretch out!  I think I was getting 10-12" pies instead of the targeted 15-16"  ??? :'(

I typically go through periods of making lots of Pizza followed by a couple to several months hiatus.  It seems like every time I get back into making pizza I've somehow lost my touch and require a bit of a re-learning.

While I have a hunch of what went wrong this time I'd like to get some feedback from the host of experts here and see what they think so I have a better understanding of what mechanics are at work here causing the issue.

The recipe I used was for 4 "Glutenboys 15" pies:
Flour (100%)   841.48  <-- 14.4% protein
Water (61%)   513.32
IDY (0.2%)   1.68
Salt (2.5%)   21.04
Total 163.7%   1377.52 (344.38 each)

My dough was mixed by hand using Chau's "Lazy Man's Bread" method.  The main change I did this time was to bulk ferment (3days) and then balling 3 hrs before the bake.  While I have made Lazy Man's Bread numerous times with this method, I think this may be the first time I did with pizza dough and I'm wondering if waiting to reball so close to bake time was somehow at fault. 

Finished pizza was good according to my guests but to me it was obvious too thick, too small, and not what I was aiming for.  Sucks to put so much work into throwing a pizzas party and not at least come close to your expectations. 

Thanks in advance for the help.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:27:25 PM by PapaJon »
Jon

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Stubborn Dough
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »
PapaJon,

I think you answered your own question. With a high gluten flour, a modest hydration value for the type of flour used, a small amount of yeast, and a relatively high amount of salt, three hours of tempering after dividing, scaling and reforming the dough balls was perhaps not long enough. As you know, Glutenboy goes out much longer with his cold fermentation and that helps to soften the gluten matrix and make the dough more extensible and more manageable.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:47:36 PM by Pete-zza »

pizzapan