Author Topic: Any wolf gas range owner?  (Read 2551 times)

Offline THE_COW_IS_OK

Any wolf gas range owner?
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:38:27 AM »
I am aware that some wolf model have an infrared broiler powered by gas that delivers 16000BTU (great for pizza broiler stone setting). I need to know if there is a thermostat that shuts its operation when its reach certain temp. Any info?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Any wolf gas range owner?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »
I have a wolf the stone setting is for the element on the bottom, There is an special rack  holds the nice thick stone and the the oven runs in convection mode. Stone sits on bottom of oven if you want to finish under broiler. I generally dont do that. Oven and stone  temps of 600+  are normal after heat up. I love this oven for pizza. works great !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 09:29:46 AM »
i use the ir broiler on my Wolf for finishing pizza.  i don't know about the pizza setting.  i just run it on max for an hour and the stone is at about 570.  i turn the broiler on for the last min or so.  the broiler will come on at those temps, not sure if it turns off or not.  i'll try running it on broil for a while in the preheat next time i cook a pizza inside.
bill

Offline THE_COW_IS_OK

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:51:50 AM »
i use the ir broiler on my Wolf for finishing pizza.  i don't know about the pizza setting.  i just run it on max for an hour and the stone is at about 570.  i turn the broiler on for the last min or so.  the broiler will come on at those temps, not sure if it turns off or not.  i'll try running it on broil for a while in the preheat next time i cook a pizza inside.
bill

IN my 12 years old gas oven I need to get rid off. I have a gas broiler, the thermostat doesn't apply to broiling mode. I place my stone 2 inch below the flame and I reach 750F in 34m on the stone(neapolitan pizza cooks in 90s). I need to replace the oven and am seriously considering the wolf because of its high BTU IR broiler. I am just hoping I can achieve similar heat without having a thermostat shutting all down. Hence my post. Tkx for looking this out.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »
i used my wolf again last night and tried to pay a little more attention to the temps.  after a 45 min preheat at max the stones were at 575.  i turned on the broiler and after about 10 min the stones were at 630.  i left the broiler on to see what it would do and it cycled off and then back on.  i posted a picture of my setup here.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15089.0.html
bill

Offline THE_COW_IS_OK

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 03:39:33 AM »
i used my wolf again last night and tried to pay a little more attention to the temps.  after a 45 min preheat at max the stones were at 575.  i turned on the broiler and after about 10 min the stones were at 630.  i left the broiler on to see what it would do and it cycled off and then back on.  i posted a picture of my setup here.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15089.0.html
bill

Bill,
Thank YOU!
You made my appliance purchase decision much easier and much cheaper ;). Too bad that broiler cycles on/off. I guess I have to look elsewhere then. 630 Won't cut it for me.
What I still don't understand is that my old gas oven broiler is rated @8K BTU and takes 5 min to get the stone from 575 to 630 (and my stone is 1.3 inches thick!). Why this efficient 15K IR BTU requires 10min?! what is the distance between stone surface and broiler element? (This is the only factor I can still think of that might explain the results)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:12:34 AM »
my stones are on the top rack, about 5" below the broiler.  i don't know that it took 10 min, that's just how long i waited to check it again.  it wasn't an even temp across the stone when i checked it either.  probably varied +- 20 deg.  i guess that was better after a little more time when i cooked in there.

good luck!
bill

pizzapan