Author Topic: kneading ?? (novice type question...)  (Read 4216 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: kneading ?? (novice type question...)
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2005, 11:03:40 PM »
Lynny,

I gave you the classic autolyse process where yeast is not added to the flour and water at the outset. However, some people use IDY or a natural starter during autolyse on the theory that the autolyse rest period will be over before the yeast starts to kick in.

Unlike the ADY, there is no need to proof the IDY in water. It can be mixed in with the flour. Some bakers who switched from ADY to IDY proof the IDY in water out of habit, and occasionally a baker will proof the IDY in water to get it to start working faster. For your cases, it's perfectly fine just to mix the IDY in with the flour. As you noted, you don't need as much IDY as ADY. The IDY has more active cells than ADY and is made up of finer yeast particles. The IDY can also tolerate higher rehydration (proofing) temperatures than ADY, which promotes faster rising.

Peter

piroshok

Re: kneading ?? (novice type question...)
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2005, 09:03:37 AM »
That is a great explanation Peter
In fact I did use this method today (a little improvisation) but it was worth it to make pasta dura bread
it worked like a charm and had to do a little kneading well more like stretching the dough and roll back by hand
Boy was it elastic! So simple method and yet so effective for high protein flour works all the time and I am a convert.
Buying a 25 kg high protein flour soon so I'll be baking(home)pizzas justone of my items on the list  ;D