Author Topic: FRESH MOOZ??  (Read 1176 times)

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
FRESH MOOZ??
« on: September 19, 2011, 02:12:55 PM »
Hi,

Again, I am sorry, if putting this question out on two sections, is  a no no.  IF it is, just delete it, no problem, I understand.  Thanks again.

I hope I can get my question across without too much confusion.

There is talk on this board about using "homemade mooz".  Now, I know some places uses housemade mozz and simply rips the small balls apart.  Its pretty apparent in Bianco's videos.

But, because I've talked to many, many pizzaiolos, several from NYC.  I've gotten different answers.

Some places that use FRESH MOOZ, are, in reality using a SALTED MOOZ CURD.  I've seen it and worked with it.  It comes in many ways.  Now, non salted comes in a cryvac type bag and contains quite a bit of whey, a bit crumbly and no flavor but a bit of milkiness. This type of curd needs to be made into fresh mozz, but it still melts, I don't know, webby and faint.  Now, the salted curd is another story.  Its easy to slice on the slicer into usable portions, about a 1/4 inch thick.  I believe this is an excellent product because it doesn't melt away, break up and kind of wash out like i see in so many pizzas that use fresh mooz.

A few years later, in Connecticut, I began to see this exact type of curd being marketed as "OLD FASHIONED FRESH MOOZ.  Again, in a log, easily slicable, great melting, melts WHITE and tastes like fresh mooz (we are talking fiore di latte, not buffalo)  It comes from a local company , Calabro, out of east haven.

And no matter what, every time I use FRESH MOOZ, the type in whey, from grande, polly o...it always melts away, to thin, if you know what I mean.  Even making my own mooz, from curd, not from milk, it melts the same way.

Has ANYONE here dealt with any of these products, and can I have an opinion.  So many here know so much, I figured Id give it a shot.....I will try and post it on the professional section also, if it is NOT a NO NO.  It just is a road less travelled.

Thanks again for your feedback.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:36:49 PM by gabaghool »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: FRESH MOOZ??
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:29:02 PM »
 i love the grande curd. melts soft like buffalo milk. i use a gallon of whole milk with two gallons of water to cook the curd in.3 oz of salt per gallon as per  j tran on this forum

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: FRESH MOOZ??
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 11:10:22 PM »
Nick I'll add my few cents here and hopefully aid in clearing up the picture rather than muddying up the waters.  I should say that my knowledge of cheese and pizza is very very limited so bare with me.  

When folks talk of home made mooz on this forum, they are either referring to 1) curd and cheese they have made from raw milk or pasteurized milk bought from the store, or 2) cheese that has been hand stretched and form from store bought curd (premade curd).

In the past, I think more members were probably trying their hand at making mozz from pasteurized store bought milk than making mozz from pre bought curd.  The home made curd and mozz yields a very mediocre product at best but the mozz made from premade and prebought curd yields a great product.  I product that is very commercial like since I believe a lot of deli's and pizzerias that are using "house-made" mozz are also making their mozz from the very same curd using the similar methods.  

You may have seen this thread already but, I recently posted a video on how to make home made mozz from prebought curd.  

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14423.0.html

This salted mozz curd or old fashion mozz you mentioned is very interesting to me and I haven't heard much about it.  I believe member Matthew bought something like this and posted about it here..reply #103

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14038.100.html

I wonder if this old fashion mozz or salted mozz curd is the same as Matthew is/was using.  Do you know of any other company that carries this stuff besides Calabro?  

Nick I have use fresh mozz from several different companies and have also made my own mozz from Polly O curd and Belgioso Curd and I don't seem to have that problem as you are.  I think what will help avoid the cheese from melting away too thin or disintegrating is to first allow it to sit on paper towels for about 30m before using.  Are you by chance using the cheese straight from the water?   Also slice it a bit thicker or tear it a bit thicker and it should melt just fine without giving off much water.  

BTW, when I make my mozz from polly O curd and freeze it for storage, after it is thawed out it is semi soft at room temps.  It is not stiff like brick mozz and it is not really soft like fresh mozz that is packed in water/whey, but somewhere inbetween.  When I slice it, it also slices easier than brick mozz and has more resistance than mozz stored in water.  

Also somewhere in another thread you mentioned Chris Bianco and cheese.  Bianco use to make his own mozz from raw milk, but he had some issues with the health department requiring a separate space in his restaurant devoted to just cheese making.  He decided he didn't have the room and switched to making the cheese from a pre bought curd, one of the big brand names.  

Hope that helps,
Chau
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:28:56 PM by Jackie Tran »