Author Topic: A-MAZE-N smoked mozzarella cheese  (Read 963 times)

Offline Nata S.

• I Like it Hot!
A-MAZE-N smoked mozzarella cheese
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:29:53 PM »
For the past several years I've been perfecting my pizza making skills (see my newbie introduction @ http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28756.0.html ) and this coming year I'm adding smoked cheeses to the ingredient list.

That said, I'm not sure how much it's been discussed in this forum but I wanted to share my experiences with making my own smoked cheeses. I've been smoking meats and fish for most of my adult life and recently I discovered, and now learning, the art of charcuterie (love that maple bacon) and sausage making so it was a natural progression to add smoking cheeses to my list of accomplishments.

Buying smoked cheeses is expensive, especially here in South America, so last year I purchased a cold smoke generator from A-MAZE-N Products, Inc.  http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8   Since buying the A-MAZE-N pellet smoker I've made numerous batches of all different types of cheeses and each batch came out perfect. I've even started selling cheeses to my golf buddies and one local restaurant (helps pay for all those lost golf balls).

I highly recommend for anyone who is buying their smoked cheeses to give smoking your own cheeses a try. It's easy to do and the time and effort in minimal as is the cost.

Hope someone finds this post helpful

Nata S.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:31:28 PM by satan »

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
Re: A-MAZE-N smoked mozzarella cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:38:26 PM »
Do you make the cheeses that you smoke as well or do you buy them and smoke them once you get them home?  I'd love to see your process more in depth if you don't mind sharing your secrets.  :)

Offline Nata S.

• I Like it Hot!
Re: A-MAZE-N smoked mozzarella cheese
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:12:10 PM »
@DustinA:

I haven't made any cheese to date (I just ordered the rennet and citric acid last week). I've been buying cheeses like mozzarella, gouda, cheddar and pepperjack and smoking it with the pellet version of the A-MAZE-N smoke generator. I have an older Big Chief smoker box that I use for smoking the cheeses but I don't plug in the heating element to the smoker since it would create way too much heat to smoke cheeses. I simply ignite the A-MAZE-N pellet smoker tray and set it in the lower portion of the Big Chief smoker box. The thing you must be very careful of is to not let the internal temperature of the smoker box get over 90 degrees Fahrenheit. If you live in a warmer climate one thing you can do to keep the internal temps down is to freeze a couple of half gallon plastic jugs of water and put them in the lower portion of the smoker box but make sure the condensation dripping from them does not extinguish the pellets in your A-MAZE-N smoker tray. To keep my temperatures monitored I use the following remote smoker thermometer:  http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et73.htm

Hope this helps.

Nata S.