Author Topic: NY Times Ed Levine Article from 2002  (Read 370 times)

Offline olsonmatt

• Pie Oh My
NY Times Ed Levine Article from 2002
« on: October 20, 2011, 03:12:26 PM »
I just came across this article (apologies -- I'm sure it's probably been posted here before), and what really struck me about it was that it's kind of a pre-cursor to all of the current talk and craziness about pizza..  Pre-mega-fame for DiFara's, pre mass conception of "good pizza", pre-hype.  It's an interesting read when you consider that it's common now to read in-depth articles about just one pizzeria, or pizza maker, forget about trying to encompass the whole New York scene in a few paragraphs.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2911&page=1

Offline scott123

Re: NY Times Ed Levine Article from 2002
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 03:35:57 PM »
Thanks for the post.  That was the first time I've seen that article.

In all fairness, in the NY area, there's been craziness going back at least a quarter century.  It wasn't national like it is now, but all these famous places were still famous back then. That's part of the problem. They get hugely famous, apathy sets in and they coast on less than phenomenal pizza.

Edit:  For anyone interested in how most NYers feel about fior di latte, here you go:

Ms. Scicolone has a problem with the fresh cow's milk mozzarella sold by many fancy food stores all over the country. "Fresh mozzarella is softer and very gloppy when it melts," she said. "It can wet the whole pizza down."

Still, one recent trend in the slice business has been the "premium" slice made with fresh mozzarella. Giuseppe Vitale, who runs two Joe's pizzerias in Greenwich Village, serves such a slice. "People want fresh ingredients," he said with a shrug.

He said 'with a shrug.'   ;D In other words, "I don't like this cheese, but, hey, if people want to pay for it, I'll sell it to them."
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:45:48 PM by scott123 »

Offline olsonmatt

• Pie Oh My
Re: NY Times Ed Levine Article from 2002
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 11:37:03 PM »
Good point, Scott.  True, these places were famous, but I feel like it's really gone off the charts in the last ten years -- maybe part of the "foodie" movement, maybe due to blogs, etc., I don't know.  Would you agree that it's exploded in the last ten years?