Author Topic: First Pizzas  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Pazzaiolo

First Pizzas
« on: October 08, 2011, 03:11:36 AM »
New to the forum and new to WBO. Made my first pizzas with my primavera 60 tonight. No previous experience with making dough or cooking in a WBO. I am of neapolitan decent and my wife is from Napoli, so I have a lot to live up to! The dough is not puffing up as much as I would like it to, is this a problem with my technique or lack of heat, or both? Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Looking forward to eating pizza every single night for the rest of my life.

Thanks,
Davide

65% hydration, 2 hour bulk rise, balled and 24 hour cold ferment.
Caputo 00
4.5 g fresh active yeast
20 g salt

First pizza: buffalo mozzarella, san marzano DOP, EVOO, basil
Second pizza: a Napolitana classic, sasicc' e friariell' - basically, smoked mozzarella, sausage, rapini

Offline PortMoodyFoodie

Re: First Pizzas
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »
Wow great first results!  Nice work.

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 06:59:39 PM »
New to the forum and new to WBO. Made my first pizzas with my primavera 60 tonight. No previous experience with making dough or cooking in a WBO. I am of neapolitan decent and my wife is from Napoli, so I have a lot to live up to! The dough is not puffing up as much as I would like it to, is this a problem with my technique or lack of heat, or both? Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Looking forward to eating pizza every single night for the rest of my life.

Thanks,
Davide

65% hydration, 2 hour bulk rise, balled and 24 hour cold ferment.
Caputo 00
4.5 g fresh active yeast
20 g salt

First pizza: buffalo mozzarella, san marzano DOP, EVOO, basil
Second pizza: a Napolitana classic, sasicc' e friariell' - basically, smoked mozzarella, sausage, rapini

Wow great first results!  Nice work.

I agree, this is a great first result. Please, pat yourself on the back on my behalf! You should have seen the first Pizza Margherita I ever made back in 1984. It would have made Queen Margherita abdicate her throne and force herself into voluntary exile to a land farthest possible from me! Thank you for sharing.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:00:13 AM by Pizza Napoletana »
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 09:12:34 PM »
A- cannot give you a A+ to much to learn from this forum. great pie from your primevera 60. i have 70 three years old and i love it !!!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 09:25:50 PM »
Very nice first pies!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 12:44:03 AM »
Wow, amazing first pizzas!!  They look excellent!

Offline Pazzaiolo

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 02:50:23 AM »
Thanks guys. In a country where most people think pizza should be loaded with cheese, chicken, and 'zesty' tomato sauce, I must say, it is so refreshing to find a group of people who truly appreciate vera pizza napoletana!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 07:14:05 AM »
The dough is not puffing up as much as I would like it to, is this a problem with my technique or lack of heat, or both? Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

What an amazing first start. You should be very proud of yourself. Let us know your complete formulation (flour amounts, etc.) and mixing regimen, and we can help with the oven spring.

John

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 09:01:12 AM »
Wow.....you sure you are not fibbing about those being your first pizzas?
 :)

Outstanding first results. Looking forward to more!
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Pazzaiolo

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
What an amazing first start. You should be very proud of yourself. Let us know your complete formulation (flour amounts, etc.) and mixing regimen, and we can help with the oven spring.

So basically I am mixing the salt(20g) in the water (610ml cold water) and adding the fresh yeast(4.5g) and mixing together. I then add the flour (1000g) and mix in the KA for about 8 minutes. I occasionally add a little water if it looks dry so that the dough sticks to the bottom of the bowl but leaves the sides clean. I transfer the ball to a lightly oiled bowl and let it rest covered for about 2 hours. I ball out 230g balls and place in tupperware containers with a dusting of flour on top. Leave overnight in fridge. I take my dough balls out about 2 hours before preparing them for the oven.
Like I said earlier, I've never worked with dough before or a WBO. Anything I know, as far as pizza goes, is from actually experiencing pizza in Naples and just watching and learning the way things are done in the old country. I know my food, I am a purist, especially when it comes to italian food, therefore, I really want to get this dough done properly. Having said that, at the moment, my skills are very limited as far as baking goes. Therefore, simple alterations or adjustments that you or other forum members could recommend would be great to know. Of course, as you know (you have a P70), baking in a P60 is a little tight as well. I wonder if I should lose some of the coals before my first pizza?

Thanks again, looking forward to my 2nd set of pizzas tomorrow!!!

pizzapan