Author Topic: Help in what might be your best formula for a WFO  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Help in what might be your best formula for a WFO
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »
Norma, you are about the nicest lady I know, next to my mother in law.   ;D. It takes very little skill and understanding to make no knead doughs for bread or pizza.  It's hard to screw it up and even harder to get a tough crumb with a no knead dough since you really aren't developing the gluten structure at all.  If he didn't make it so thin, his crust would be on the bready or dense side.  What you and the rest of us do here on the forum is hundreds of miles from no knead doughs.  

The nice thing about no knead doughs is they are great for beginners or lazy people to get decent results with little effort or knowledge.  This is why I make lazy man's bread.  It's a step up from no knead doughs.  :-D

Chau

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »
Norma, you are about the nicest lady I know, next to my mother in law.   ;D. It takes very little skill and understanding to make no knead doughs for bread or pizza.  It's hard to screw it up and even harder to get a tough crumb with a no knead dough since you really aren't developing the gluten structure at all.  If he didn't make it so thin, his crust would be on the bready or dense side.  What you and the rest of us do here on the forum is hundreds of miles from no knead doughs.  

The nice thing about no knead doughs is they are great for beginners or lazy people to get decent results with little effort or knowledge.  This is why I make lazy man's bread.  It's a step up from no knead doughs.  :-D

Chau

Chau,

Your kind words are appreciated.  :) I never thought about how a no knead dough is easier to work with.  I know I tried a no knead dough, when I was trying to make a pizza something like Jim Laheyís.  That didnít work out well for me, and that also was a pizza with a thin dough.  I gave up on that.

One of these days when it is cold and snowy and I donít know what to do with myself, I will have to try your lazy manís bread.  I eat far too many dough related pizzas as it is.  You know how it goes, just one experiment after another.  :-D

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2011, 09:58:32 PM »
Craig,

Thanks for your kind words!  :) In Reply 29  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15787.msg155180.html#msg155180
that was one of the pies made with you dough formula and methods to mix.  I was surprised how little that dough rose while fermenting, but when it was put into the oven, it did really rise.  I know that pie wasnít baked at the higher temperatures you bake in your garage oven..lol 

Thanks for giving me your formula and also how you mixed the dough and fermented!  :) I will have to practice more when I have a chance to visit Steveís home again.

Norma

You're most welcome. I think your pies with my formula look better than mine.  :-[  I'm estatic it worked out for you.  ;D

Do you know the temp and bake time?

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2011, 10:56:58 PM »
You're most welcome. I think your pies with my formula look better than mine.  :-[  I'm estatic it worked out for you.  ;D

Do you know the temp and bake time?

CL

Craig,

No, my pies didnít look better than yours.  Your pies always look so perfect!  I am glad your formula and methods worked out well for me too.  If I get another chance this year to go to Steveís I am going to try your formula and methods again.  At least my Kitchen Aid mixer did mix the dough well, with your methods. 

I donít know exactly what the bake temperatures were in Steveís WFO, (because so many pies were going in and out), but we kept checking the hearth temperatures and they mostly ran in the middle to high 800ís.  The bake time was about 1 minute 20 seconds, but that is just a guess.  WFOís bake pies so quickly.  I am just learning when to turn the pies, and when to dome a pie.  It is a lot to learn when baking in a WFO, but I love it, and am lucky to have Steve as a friend so I can try his WFO.

Steve also made some very interesting doughs with different combinations of flours.  Steve used cake yeast in all of his doughs.  I thought I had taken more pictures of Steveís pie than I did, but that wasnít the case. There was too much watching what everyone was doing in stretching their doughs, dressing the pies, drinking beer, and socializing, that I didnít think to take pictures of all the pies that came out of Steveís WFO.

Thanks again for your help!  :)

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2011, 08:35:29 AM »
I didn't take any pictures that evening. Here are four pies with an additional 2 days cold fermentation that I baked last night.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2011, 08:36:56 AM »
More

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2011, 10:14:13 AM »
that pepperoni makes me hungry!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2011, 10:08:51 PM »
Steve,

Your pies are making me hungry!  Your crumbs look great!  :)

Nomra

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »
Norma! It sure looks like you had some fun! I would love to have talked to the guy with the dough in the jar! He also looks like a lot of fun! 

Also, something the struck me with your pizza and some thing that Mr Omid has stated in his amazing thread in regards to the cornicione being the trademark of the pizza maker, your cornicione seem to transcend styles! Which makes your pizza unique to you. 

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2011, 08:47:52 AM »
Norma! It sure looks like you had some fun! I would love to have talked to the guy with the dough in the jar! He also looks like a lot of fun! 

Also, something the struck me with your pizza and some thing that Mr Omid has stated in his amazing thread in regards to the cornicione being the trademark of the pizza maker, your cornicione seem to transcend styles! Which makes your pizza unique to you. 

Mick,

I did have lots of fun at Steveís party.  The guy with the dough in the jar was very interesting and fun to talk to.  He also made so many different kinds of toppings, some from his garden.  He helps to made the dough at a new pizza business near us that also sells many kinds of beers.  Their pizzas are different too.

I need to learn more about making Neapolitan doughs (especially with starters), and also baking in a WFO.  Since I donít have much practice with a WFO or Neapolitan doughs, I have a lot to learn.

I baked one of Craigs doughs that I had frozen and thawed, just for fun in my deck oven yesterday.  It sure didnít turn out anything like when baking it in Steveís WFO.  Pizzeria flour sure doesnít bake well in a deck oven.  :-D

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2011, 08:48:44 AM »
Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2011, 09:57:54 AM »
That dough was definitely engineered for high temps.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2011, 10:18:41 AM »
That dough was definitely engineered for high temps.

CL

Craig,

You are so right!   :-D  I just wanted to see what would happen in the deck oven.  I had wanted to try a Greek pizza with the one leftover dough ball, but Steve and I were too full of experiments for me to try that.  Maybe next week I will try a Greek pizza with your dough.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2011, 08:18:20 AM »
If anyone is interested, the one leftover Craigís dough, with the Ischia starter (from Steveís pizza party) , that was unfrozen  (last week), then refrozen, then unfrozen again Monday, was made into a Greek pizza yesterday.  The Greek pizza made with Craigs dough really turned out well.  The crust was very tasty and there was a nice crunch on the bottom of the crust.  The inside crumb was super moist.  I used Steveís 10Ē steel pan to make this pizza.  The steel pan was brushed with manteca. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2011, 08:20:29 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2011, 08:22:40 AM »
Norma