Author Topic: A question about dough formula and temperature range.  (Read 379 times)

Offline Giggliato

A question about dough formula and temperature range.
« on: March 14, 2016, 08:25:57 PM »
Hi, I am currently using a large woodstone dual gas burner oven and we have been thinking about cranking it up to 800 degrees. (To cook the pies faster  >:D) We currently have it set at 550.

I am using a pretty basic formula for the dough at the moment, its currently at about 58% hydration. 25 pounds of flour, a few ounces of sugar, yeast and oil, eight ounces of salt. I mix on stir for 8 minutes, adding the oil after the first two.

I would expect this dough to burn pretty bad at 800 degrees so I am wondering if there are any changes to the formula I could make that would let me cook a pizza well in a few minutes. I am not quite going for Neapolitan, we currently cook 18 inch pizzas, cut into six slices. The doughball weight is currently at 17 ounces. I think that's pretty thin, but I would be open to going thinner.

I have read quite a bit about the 00 flour but I have not used it, I would prefer to stick to the standard mill sizes if possible.

I am currently thinking that a higher hydration and a faster mix might do the trick but I would welcome any ideas about this. If you have ideas about dough management after the mix please share them as well. Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:31:20 AM by Giggliato »

Online vtsteve

• Supporting Member
Re: A question about dough formula and temperature range.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 12:11:23 AM »
I'm using a similar dough in my backyard WFO, and getting 4-minute bakes at 630 degrees. Do you have your heart set on 800?
In grams we trust.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 08:33:40 AM »
Its not set at 800 yet, We bumped it up to 600 the other day, planning on going up gradually. 4 minutes might be fast enough, but the faster the better.

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »
The first thing that I would do is to delete the sugar from the dough formula. If that provides you with the quality of bake that you want you're home free, if it doesn't I would suggest trying an organic flour (especially an un-malted flour) as this type of flour will be better suited for the high temperature baking. As for the dough weight, my best advice is to experiment by increasing or decreasing the dough weight in 1/2-ounce increments until you see a finished crust that meets your expectations.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor