Author Topic: October 2011: "Pumpkin"  (Read 3729 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
October 2011: "Pumpkin"
« on: October 01, 2011, 09:57:20 AM »
Sounds good for an October challenge
I'm on too many of these boards

buceriasdon

Re: October 2011: "Pumpkin"
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:38:51 AM »
Pumpkins are not in the stores as of yet here in Mexico however squash blossom are readily available. I should have garnished with the pumpkin seeds after baking as they burnt somewhat, learn as we go. Squash blossoms, fresh plum tomato sauce, sliced habenero peppers and goat cheese.
Don

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »
Good start, good thought process.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »
this is one contest i will be submitting to in the next few days.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

buceriasdon

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 03:14:59 PM »
I have my doubts that pumpkin will be available in the markets this year but I found one can of Libby's Pure Pumpkin at the local Walmart so when I run out of that, that's it. I made a homemade pumpkin hummus for the base topped with homemade Mexican chorizo, manchego cheese, onion, and serrano chili. Two day CF 70% hydrated AP flour crust. I'm anxious to do one with caramelized onions done in a slow cooker.
Don
ps. Notice my 32cm pizza plate? Found it the same day as the Libby's. ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:13:13 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:32 PM »
Roasted sugar pumpkin, pancetta, parsley, and finished with a drizzle of Mike's Hot Honey.

John

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »
John,

Your pie looks delicious!  I tried some of the Mike's Hot Honey at Steve's house the last times I was there.  It does have a nice kick to it.  We didn't try it only any pizzas though. How did the Mike's Hot Honey taste on your pie?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 09:09:43 PM »
Thank you Norma - It was a beautiful counterpoint to the richness of the pumpkin and pancetta. A nice sweetness with zing. I want to put it on everything these days.

John

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »
That pie makes me wish I liked pumpkin.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 06:24:51 PM »
Lol Craig, I love most all squash with pumpkin as my least favorite, but I agree, John baked a wonderful pizza there. I've never seen acorn squash in my ten years here in Mexico, one of the things I miss.
Don

That pie makes me wish I liked pumpkin.

CL

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 01:36:31 AM »
This is a case of "It tasted better than it looks".  The crust is 80% Caputo Pizzaria, 8% buckwheat, 12% KABF, 66% HD, 2 day cold ferment.  Makes a very fragile dough with nice flavor IF you can get it on the peel  :P   For the topping, I roasted a small sugar pumpkin then mashed the flesh.  Dollops of that and of homemade pistachio pesto, shaved Parmigiano Reggiano, and toasted hazelnuts, drizzled with roasted hazelnut oil.  Cooked in WFO for about 100 seconds.  Should have put the hazelnuts under the other toppings as they started to almost burn.  Didn't look like much but was very tasty!

buceriasdon

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 07:04:24 AM »
Robyn, Looks good. I have found it best if using toasted nuts is use them as garnish after the pizza is done. I didn't think the pumpkin seeds would burn on mine but they did. Thanks for the contribution.
Don

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 10:52:46 PM »
This is a case of "It tasted better than it looks".  

Wow, you're hard on yourself (like I am). I don't think there is anything I could point to in the pie and say "it could be better if..."

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 10:56:07 PM »
If ya'll keep posting these pictures of awesome looking pies, I'm going to make the mistake of trying one. Yuck, I really don't like pumpkin. It reminds me of years ago when I was cooking in a restaurant. I was frying up some liver, and it looked so good I made the mistake of trying some. I still shutter when I think about it...

CL
Pizza is not bread.

buceriasdon

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 11:37:01 AM »
I had to try the WS microwave / conventional oven recipe.   http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/30-minute-pizza.html?cm_src=RECIPESEARCH
I followed the recipe very closely even to baking times which I shouldn't have using my steel plate in my countertop oven. Just a bit over done. ::)
I suspected and was proven correct the the ingredient amounts made too much dough, big deal, flour is cheap enough to throw out. I also suspected the crust would have a strong biscuit like taste and yes it most certainly did, not at all to my liking. Just for the fun of it I may change the recipe to simply flour, water, yeast and salt maybe a bit of oil and try nuking it, then into the oven some other time for a thin and crispy. Since I was in experimental mode I tried slow cooker carmelized onions, meh, not to my liking either. So......this one goes into the failure column.
Don

pizzapan