Author Topic: Bosch Universal Plus Dough creep stopper?  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Bosch Universal Plus Dough creep stopper?
« on: October 01, 2011, 03:42:43 PM »
Something I have wanted to do since the last time I used the Bosch.  Caputo Pizzeria, 61% hydration was the test dough.  I did 2 500gr. batches.  One with a rest period and one with a straight 10 minute mix adding flour along the way.  Anywho the modification is pictured below.  It was an easy drill because it is just aluminum.

A couple of short videos:

Questions/ comments / concerns are always welcome for us trolls. :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Bosch Universal Plus Dough creep stopper?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 03:50:51 PM »
Gene, lovin your red neck mod there. :-D.  Is it in action in the videos you posted?

No offense meant to any real rednecks out there.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »
Yes.  In my experience in my kitchen, it would have continued to climb the center shaft without the spatula attached.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »
OK, I'll say it.. ya gotta love a guy with hearts!   :-D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »
Yes.  In my experience in my kitchen, it would have continued to climb the center shaft without the spatula attached.

That just goes to show how much of a difference humidity can make.  I live in a very dry climate.  Just last week, I mixed a 400gm caputo pizzeria flour dough ball at 64% hydration in the Bosch with zero hang ups in the center shaft.  The dough ball stayed in the bottom of the bowl for the entire mix session.

Great job on the mod Gene.

Chau

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 11:26:23 AM »
Hey Gene, this is cool. The spatula will reach the center shaft and goes deeper. Seems to work, congrats !

Martin
Pizza is the only dish perfect for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, late night snack ;-)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »
Gene have you used the plastic one before http://www.breadtopia.com/store/bosch-dough-glide-tool.html? If I do 64% or higher the dough will wrap around the center shaft which is really annoying.

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 12:09:01 PM »
Hi BSO,
Chau had ordered that part when he got his Bosch

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11962.0.html

it didnt seem to be very useful.
I have the same problem (see the sme thread at the end) and for me it helps putting flour first, but at a certain point it will wrap around the center post if the batch is small.
I just did one try removing the flaps on the small batch adapter which helped a bit as well, yet not perfect.

martin
Pizza is the only dish perfect for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, late night snack ;-)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 12:18:40 PM »
Hey Gene, this is cool. The spatula will reach the center shaft and goes deeper. Seems to work, congrats !

Martin

Thanks Martin, it does work nicely.

Gene have you used the plastic one before http://www.breadtopia.com/store/bosch-dough-glide-tool.html? If I do 64% or higher the dough will wrap around the center shaft which is really annoying.

No I have not used it.  I remember cOmpl3x making some out of stainless, though.  I am very confident that I don't still don't know how far to develop the gluten, especially with the Caputo Pizzeria flour.  I was on the less is more bus for quite a while.  I am leaning toward longer mix times for testing now.  That is why i wanted to keep the dough off the center shaft. Their dough creeper gizmo is located so far up the shaft, that alot of dough is taken out of the mixing (kneading) area of the arms in the bowl.  I just wanted all of the dough down in the bottom where I can keep an eye on it.

When I bulk proof the dough at room temp it never looks like I have seen in pictures.  The pictures make me think it is almost like a giant blob of silly putty, not that stiff, but a perfect mass that I cant seem to duplicate yet.

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 08:26:38 PM »
Dear Gene,
Are you doing a rest period after the mixing is complete, before the kneading Action takes place ?
Chau also does a couple of folds as well and then puts it back to the machine to further knead.

I do not have these mad craft skills not the instruments, so i am thinking about how to enlage the center post, which also should decrease the gap to the inner blade.
However, there is still dough curling up at hydrations beyond 62% (between the blade shaped arm and center shaft). Also, the blade does not reach down enough to push the dough back to the arms in the center of the bowl. This your extension does  :D

Martin

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 09:28:58 PM »
Thanks Martin, it does work nicely.

No I have not used it.  I remember cOmpl3x making some out of stainless, though.  I am very confident that I don't still don't know how far to develop the gluten, especially with the Caputo Pizzeria flour.  I was on the less is more bus for quite a while.  I am leaning toward longer mix times for testing now.  That is why i wanted to keep the dough off the center shaft. Their dough creeper gizmo is located so far up the shaft, that alot of dough is taken out of the mixing (kneading) area of the arms in the bowl.  I just wanted all of the dough down in the bottom where I can keep an eye on it.

When I bulk proof the dough at room temp it never looks like I have seen in pictures.  The pictures make me think it is almost like a giant blob of silly putty, not that stiff, but a perfect mass that I cant seem to duplicate yet.

oh %$#, i just remembered that i forgot about the stainless creepers.  i have one nylon pattern left hanging on my workbenck.   chau, when i have the $ for the stamp i'll send yours out.  the only thing worse, is an artic dog sled shipment
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »
No problem Jon, whenever you are ready.  Let me know if I can reimburse you for the cost of the part and shipment.  I'll be happy to do that. 

Thanks again,
Chau

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 10:10:25 PM »
No problem Jon, whenever you are ready.  Let me know if I can reimburse you for the cost of the part and shipment.  I'll be happy to do that. 

Thanks again,
Chau

not really worried about cost.  if it works, i can get them cut via waterjet instead of dremel.  THEN i would worry about cost.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 11:53:21 PM »
Dear Gene,
Are you doing a rest period after the mixing is complete, before the kneading Action takes place ?

I am now trying it both ways.

I do not have these mad craft skills not the instruments, so i am thinking about how to enlage the center post, which also should decrease the gap to the inner blade.

If I were in your situation, I would choose some black electrical tape and wrap the center shaft until it has very little clearance to the existing inner blade.  Another tactic I would try is to find a friend with a drill.  Perhaps you could pay them with the good pizzas that you already make?

Martin

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 10:39:19 PM »
Martino, I should have suggested that if you decide to wrap the center column, wrap it clockwise so the dough doesn't unwrap the tape.  ;)

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 10:58:13 PM »
Hey Gene,
What i did first is to use the small adapter, which nicely enlarges the center post, but still not enough to close the gap. With tape I wonder if any residue would go in the dough. Let me try and i will onky stick it on the small batch adapter, so can easily be removed.

Your tip with the direction is well noted, but probably today my wife is giving birth :)
So i might put an hold on my pizza activities for some days....

Cheers
Martin

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 11:29:05 PM »
Martino, I should have suggested that if you decide to wrap the center column, wrap it clockwise so the dough doesn't unwrap the tape.  ;)

The Bosch turns counter clock wise, so should it not also be in the same direction, not to unwrap the end of the tape ?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 12:29:59 AM »
The Bosch turns counter clock wise, so should it not also be in the same direction, not to unwrap the end of the tape ?

You must have the Australian version. ?  Just kidding.  I was wrong.  Yes wrap it in the same direction.

If your wife is giving birth today, then by all means, put your pizza activities on hold for days.  I suggest weeks. ;D

pizzapan