Author Topic: How do I get my pizza cheese saltier?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Kostakis1985

How do I get my pizza cheese saltier?
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »
Ive been trying different types of pizza cheeses even paid $50.00 to ship a 5lb bag ofGrande east coast blend mozzerella and 2lbs Grande whole milk mozzerella from pennmac. The cheese performed okay but Its not my favorite. Im trying to get a saltier flavor in my cheese the mozzarella by itself has no taste to me. I heard that you can add a cheese like grana padano, pecorino romano, or parmigiano reggiano to it, but how do you do it just sprinkle on top or blend with the cheese all together? Has anyone tried these cheeses which one would you recommend?
Jamie

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: How do I get my pizza cheese saltier?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 12:59:55 AM »
You can blend it in or sprinkle it on top before or after the bake.  For my taste, pecorino romano is saltier than pram reggiano and grana padano.  You can also blend in a little aged provolone or Asiago and even stronger cheeses for different flavors.  If all else fails, you can always sprinkle a tiny bit of crushed sea salt on the finished pie, but it's better to go with one of the aged cheeses.

For the base mozz, you can experiment with different cheeses and combinations until you find the combo that has the flavor and melting characteristics that fit your bake.

Chau
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 01:37:32 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 01:24:35 AM »
try sams club 50/50 mozz/prov
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline CharlotteSailor

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 08:19:23 AM »
Look for scamorza.  If you are not familiar it's a type of cheese not a brand. It's like a dry mozzarella but much saltier. You have the best chance of finding it in an Italian deli.   Also make sure it's not the smoked kind unless your looking for a smoky pizza.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 11:20:50 AM »
I watched an episode of food wars where one of the two best pizza shops(forget the name) in NY brines there mozz to give it a saltier taste. My guess is they soak it overnight in salt water and probably squeeze out the moisture before cooking.

Also you could try Maggio brand mozz. I find there mozz to be saltier then other brands.