Author Topic: Joe's on Carmine St.  (Read 21545 times)

Offline jjdec05

• The more I learn,the more I know how little I know
Re: Joe's on Carmine St.
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2013, 11:13:52 PM »
Those pies look fantastic Paulo. When I make my rendition of NY Style, which I still need to improve tremendously, they are baked in a home oven at 550 degrees for about 7-10 minutes. I have been using olive oil because it is what is in the house. I've found that in such small amounts >5% it has no impact on flavor. My concern as of recently was smoking points of different oils. I remember hearing that olive oil has the lowest smoking point of any oil. So I have been pondering the impact it has on the finished product.

My use for oil is attempting improve softness, getting that perfect crisp, yet pillowy combination. I increased the amount of olive oil last time I made pies and I was disappointed in the results. The crust was far too crisp. I have a batch of neapolitan dough for tomorrow sans oil, but for my next NY batch I will try 1% canola and possibly add sugar as well. I've never added sugar, perhaps that will  help.

Offline paulo.vllrr

Re: Joe's on Carmine St.
« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2014, 03:08:39 AM »
Thanks jjdec05! Sorry for not answering sooner but I didn't get my usual e-mail notification when someone else posts.

My first several NY style tries were with olive oil and I never got good results. Smoking point is an interesting idea, unfortunately I'm not knowledgable enough on the matter to give an exact answer on whether or not that has anything to do. What I can say is that canola oil and sugar where fundamental in me hitting the right formulation. After those last pictures I tried without sugar and using olive oil instead with pretty bad results. Try 1% and 1%, it did wonders for my pies.

What kind of oven setup are you using (or where since this is an old post) as well as dough formulation?
Post some pictures if possible!