Author Topic: how do you make tomato puree?  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Fullback66

how do you make tomato puree?
« on: January 06, 2008, 06:56:41 AM »
I am not a chef. I am learning from this web. Pete was gracious enough to direct me to a recipe that I would like to make it. This may seem like a dingy question for some of you but I have to ask.

How do you make tomato puree?  If I buy a can of San Marzano Tomatoes (I found locally) and use some of the tomatoes to make a puree. How is this done? ???

Like I said I have a very basic kitchen. :pizza:

thanks,
fb66
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 07:00:52 AM by Fullback66 »

Offline Bryan S

Re: how do you make tomato puree?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:21:30 PM »
I am not a chef. I am learning from this web. Pete was gracious enough to direct me to a recipe that I would like to make it. This may seem like a dingy question for some of you but I have to ask.

How do you make tomato puree?  If I buy a can of San Marzano Tomatoes (I found locally) and use some of the tomatoes to make a puree. How is this done? ???

Like I said I have a very basic kitchen. :pizza:

thanks,
fb66
Drain all the water off of the canned toms. Then you'll need to run them through a strainer/food mill. This will still not be puree but it will be close. You might try putting the milled toms in a canning jar and in the fridge for 24 hrs and you might get some further water separation out of it, then you can then use a turkey baster or such to remove more of the water. Or get some cheese cloth and use a collander and a bowl underneath and put the milled toms on the cheeses cloth lined collander and in the fridge till you get the right puree consistency, make sure you cover the top with plastic wrap so the toms don't get hard and dry on top. You could also cook it to remove more of the water, but I wouldn't do that.
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Fullback66

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
Thanks Bryan,
It looks like I will be make tomato puree. Awesome!!
fb66

Offline Fullback66

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:46:11 AM »
I just bought 2 cans of 6in1 tomatoes with puree. I think I will use this puree for my recipe. If I need to thin out the puree I will use your suggestions.

fb66

How can I post a picture by my screen name?

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 09:02:16 AM »
If you've got 6 in 1's and want them smoother just throw them in a blender until smooth.  I use a immersion blender on ground or crushed tomatoes before pouring them out of the can.  I usually use crushed tomatoes to make a puree rather than whole tomatoes because most seeds have already been removed.  If I need to make a puree from whole San Marzanos then I'll deseed them first but that's a pretty lengthy process...but the tastiest.

About putting up an avatar by your name, click the "PROFILE" link above and then go to "FORUM PROFILE INFORMATION" in the menu on the left.  You'll have a box on that page to do it.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Fullback66

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 06:28:02 AM »
loowaters,
Thanks for the information. I will be making the sauce at the end of this week or weekend.
fb66

pizzapan