Author Topic: Alta Cucina Tomatoes  (Read 888 times)

Offline gfgman

Alta Cucina Tomatoes
« on: November 12, 2015, 11:50:07 AM »
Can someone enlighten me as to what is a good price for Alta Cucina's in the 6lb. can?  Amazon has them for $15.98 with prime shipping.  If you break down the price per ounce, an equivalent 28 ounce can from the grocery store would cost $4.34.  That seems like a high price.
If I were to get some, what is the best way to turn them into sauce.  My favorite local place uses them, and also a new Neapolitan place by my office uses them.  I typically heat a little bit of fresh garlic in oil and add that to whatever tomato product I'm using.  For a NY sauce, I'll add fresh basil, dried oregano, and if necessary, some salt. For a Margherita, I add fresh basil and spices after the tomato sauce is on the pie. 
Thanks!

Offline jeff v

• Supporting Member
  • I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Alta Cucina Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 12:03:43 PM »
That is high but that's expensive to ship. Why don't you see if you can buy a can or two from your local places?
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 12:19:12 PM »
Last time I bought them from my local restaurant distributor they were under $5 a can.  That's off the charts high.
-Jeff

Offline jsaras

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 04:24:16 PM »
Restaurant Depot sells it for $5.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 04:26:44 PM »
$5cash & carry price at my local restaurant supplier
Deb

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 04:38:10 PM »
Ask your pizza store if they will sell you a case. Most around my area will.
Hans

Offline Brooklyn John

• Everyone loves Pizza
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 03:52:27 AM »
Pennsylvania Macaroni Company has them for $5.99 for a #10 can.
http://www.pennmac.com/items/3231//alta-cucina-whole-plum-tomatoes

Offline gfgman

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 09:54:50 AM »
RD is supposed to be opening soon near me.  I will check them out.  Thanks!  Do any of you guys use them. and what do you with them?  One of the local grocery chains now sells whole San Marzano's as world market store brand.  I might try those in the mean time. 
Do you use the liquid or discard it?  Crush the tomatoes, or blend?  I understand some tomatoes can get bitter if you cut the seeds.  I have run into that. 

Offline gfgman

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 11:54:49 AM »
Haven't gotten to RD yet, but I see they are open and do carry Stanislaus products.  I might try 7/11 before the ACs. 
I did try whole SM's this weekend, and they were quite good.  I did not run them through a food mill.  When I ran my garden grown SMs through a food mill, the resulting sauce was bitter.
I used a sieve to assist with getting rid of some of the seeds.  I mashed the good pulp, and added the liquid back in.   
I applied the sauce to the skin and added sprinkles of garlic powder and oregano.  That was it.  I didn't salt because I figured the cheese was salty enough.  I thought it was a tasty pie.