Author Topic: Cento tomatoes  (Read 2158 times)

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
Cento tomatoes
« on: January 14, 2008, 11:17:49 AM »
I'd heard about a cash-and-carry store near me (in Wilkes-Barre, PA) called City Mager.  I finally stopped in this morning, and they had a whole wall full of Cento products.

I bought:

1)  Italian Peeled Tomatoes (product of Italy)  35 oz. can for $1.95
2)  Italian Style Peeled, San Marzano Variety (product of Italy)  28 oz. can for $1.35
3)  D.O.C. San Marzano Peeled, 28 oz. can for $2.99

Of course I had to crack them open as soon as I got home.  I tasted them in the order above and found:

1)  Packed in a thin sauce.  Nice large, whole tomatoes.  Good flavor, a little bit acidic, comparable to a good US canned tomato.
2)  Thick sauce.  Nice deep red, medium to large whole tomatoes.  Great flavor--rich, earthy and complex with lots of natural sweetness.  A real stunner of a canned tomato.
3)  Thin sauce.  Smallish tomatoes, many not intact.  Very thin watery flavor, I can tease some of the San Marzano flavor out of them but they're pretty much crap compared to #2.

Interesting how the cheapest one is by far the best.  And the fancy, expensive D.O.C. can is the worst.

Anyone else have a similar experience with these?

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Garlic head

• I need Garlic to survive
    • WKevin.com
Re: Cento tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:44:49 AM »
Guy,
I use the crushed tomatoes to make my sauce. I love em'.
Kevin

Offline Grog

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Cento tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:49:05 PM »
I have been using #2 -- Italian style peeled tomatoes, with the basil leaf in the can.  These tomatoes are the best I've ever used, and I've tried out everything in the supermarkets, including the overpriced DOC versions.  I pay $1.89/28 oz can at King Sooper in Denver.  The local Italian deli charges $4.50 for the same can. 

Offline Chet

Re: Cento tomatoes at City Mager
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:39:56 PM »

Hello Guy

I am also an newbe at Pizza making,  did you ever try the pizza shells at Sam's club.
My dough making is improving a little, I have a ways to go. did you ever go to Genoa on River road across from the tasty Freeze

Chet (Plains)