Author Topic: Round Table sauce  (Read 28237 times)

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
Round Table sauce
« on: July 06, 2005, 02:40:52 PM »
Just curious if anyone has the sauce recipe or anything close to Round table pizza sauce. I do a milder sauce and was thinkiing of trying to do a spicier one like Round Table's. I checked archives and don't see anything about trying to duplicate that sauce. Any help? Thanks  :)

Offline zappcatt

Re: Round Table sauce
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 11:50:13 PM »
I also would LOVE to see suggestions for a Round Table Knockoff sauce. I love the bite that it gives.

I enjoy making CPK sauce..but the RTP sauce rocks!

I am thinking of using less spices, and toss in some cayenne...

Offline Snowman

• Please enter a location in your profile, please?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 12:32:47 PM »
I had a guy send me his sauce recipe.  I had to do some creative licensing with it due to not having some of the stuff on hand.  In any case, he uses 1 bottle of tobasco per 6 #10's of tomatoes.  Perhaps a little tobasco might be in order?  I've not had the sauce you're looking to create, just adding a suggestion on "kick". 

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 03:21:25 PM »
My experience at RT, is that each place does it's own thing, but they all are LOADED with various chili powders in a tomatoe paste base, non-diluted.

I suggest starting with, a Spanish blend chili powder, a small amount sugar and only a touch of onion and garlic "powder" and a bit of salt if needed.

For heat I suggest using hungarian hot paprika and/or cayenne

If the spanish blend dosen't contain Cumin, I suggest adding a bit, but most chili blends have cumin.

Too much chili powder will produce bitter results, especially with the already bitter tomato paste. The sugar will help counteract this.

I dont measure when using chili powders, since they tend to† lose potency with storeage, and flavor and heat varies by brand. I make this type of sauce mostly by taste.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 03:18:18 AM by Lydia »
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline zappcatt

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 08:26:28 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions...

was jonesing to try this and made a couple booboo's
Used generic safeway brand diced tomatoes in water that I had sitting around..YUCH!!!
Did not have any cayenne, so only put in a little generic chilli powder...was to hungry to wait to cool, so most of the heat was the temperature from the oven..no idea how much bite I got...

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 01:27:03 AM »
If you're going to go for a general store bought product, I recommend Cantadina tomato paste.

If you get to a Smart & Final, super heavy concentrated crushed tomatoes (comes in a large food service can).

PS--take notes on what you add until you get the sauce your round table makes.

Let us know how it goes.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline zappcatt

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 01:31:57 AM »
Uh oh....this sounds like the start of another expensive habit....I have a Smart and Final within walking distance. I went earlier this week and picked up a deep dish pizza pan, a thin crust perforated pizza pan, but did not pick up any food...yet...

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 12:06:23 PM »
If you have some freezer space...Smart & Final could save you quite a bit. I really dont like buying pepperoni anywhere else (flavor, price and quality).

Food Service size cans run nearly the same price as a grocery store sizes.

Keep an Eye out for the "Whole milk" mozzarella in block or preshredded (suppose to have better flavor and stringing abilities).

I found out this weekend that they are also carring "gourmet" whole milk mozzarella (VERY soft) and italian "fresh" mozzarella packaged in a water like solution. Ideal for the Neopolitan pizza.

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 05:09:48 PM »
"Uh oh....this sounds like the start of another expensive habit....I have a Smart and Final within walking distance"

Not really. A #10 thick pizza sauce can from S&F is less than $5.00. I could get 50 pizzas covered with it. That's a dime a piece. Go wild a put extra sauce maybe a quarter.  Let's not talk about cheese costs though.  BTW Smart & Final and it's bigger smarter brother Cash & Carry have lots of flour- high gluten and lots of cheese. And a secret blend of flour called pizza flour from Pendleton (42 pounds). Homemade pizza at about a dollar. Same as the pizza parlor ;)

Offline chilis4me

• MMmmmmmm......Pizza
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 05:16:03 PM »
This won't relay the important "secrets" for Round Table Pizza
sauce, but about 20 years ago I worked at Round Table in
Palo Alto, CA.   We would make the sauce using 6 #10 cans of
Heinz tomato paste.   Then we'd fill the 6 #10 cans with water
and add that to the mixing bucket.    Then there was a packet
of seasoning (man how I wish I had one of those packets
today) you'd add it and mix.   That was it.     As I recall the packets
had the indredients listed and I think the directions I spelled
out above too.    Now I live in CO, land of no Round Table
Pizzas....my family and I have cravings often.      Someday,
perhaps someone will happen upon one of these spice
packets and be able to send the list of ingredients.    Until
then, when the urge gets to strong, it's road trip time for
RTP.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 07:21:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your information.

we now have a brand and a dilution ratio 1:1.

The sauce on the pizzas in my area were heavy, so either the places around here weren't diluting the sauce after storing or were just being lazy. But then, I really dont know how thick the Heinz paste is.

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 04:01:55 AM »
That sounds about right.  Round table sauce is very thick and is very reminiscent of tomato paste.  They also add a lot of spices to it.  There's something unique in it... maybe cumin or even some fennel.  I can't quite put my finger on it.

Offline jstilwell

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 05:04:33 PM »
I just tried this recipe, which I put together from several on this thread -

Johnís 1st RT Pizza Sauce Knockoff:

4 6 oz. cans tomato paste (I pref. Contadina)
12 oz water
1 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 Tbsp chopped Fresh Oregano
1 Tbsp finely chopped Fresh basil
Ĺ tsp garlic powder
Ĺ tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar

Mix it all up and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours.

This makes enough for 3 - 4 12" pizzas, so you should halve it if you don't want to make a lot of pizza.

I then used it together with my favorite thin crust recipe to make a thin crist Margharita pizza

I'd say it turned out pretty good.

If you like more zip, (This was flavorful, but not really spicy at all) I'd probably either add a little cayenne or double the paprika.

Cheers,

John