Author Topic: Kitchen Aid Mixer  (Read 1642 times)

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
Kitchen Aid Mixer
« on: October 05, 2011, 08:07:05 PM »
Ive got two mixers in the shop.  An 80 qrt and a Kitchen Aid Mixer.  The 80 is so big that I can't bother to experiment with dough in order to make a dozen balls.  But, I gotta tell you, that KA simply sticks.  Does anyone else have a problem with how it mixes??  I mean the dough hook doesn't even hit the bottom of the bowl!

Am I doing something wrong?  Thanks a million for any responses.

scott123

Re: Kitchen Aid Mixer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 07:29:41 AM »
I'm not sure about a dozen dough balls, but I knead 4-6 dough balls by hand all the time with relative ease.  Multi day cold fermentation develops plenty of gluten.  If you go that route, very little hand kneading is necessary at the beginning- 2 to 3 minutes max.

And if you really want to minimize your labor, toss in a rest between the mixing and the kneading.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:36:54 AM by scott123 »

Offline Tman1

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »
I thought my KA mixer was pretty good until I used a Hobart over at the restaurant... not so much now.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 11:47:42 AM »
gabaghool,

I have a small Hobart (20 qt.) mixer and also a Kitchen Aid mixer.  The Hobart does mix the dough better, but for smaller batches, my KA does seem to do fine.  I might have to scrape some flour off the sides of my mixer bowl in the KA, but in the end the dough feels okay to me.  I never tried to make a big batch of dough in the KA.  I usually only mix enough dough for one or two dough balls.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 01:03:28 PM »
Ive got two mixers in the shop.  An 80 qrt and a Kitchen Aid Mixer.  The 80 is so big that I can't bother to experiment with dough in order to make a dozen balls.  But, I gotta tell you, that KA simply sticks.  Does anyone else have a problem with how it mixes??  I mean the dough hook doesn't even hit the bottom of the bowl!

Am I doing something wrong?  Thanks a million for any responses.

What model KA are you using, you might need to adjust the screw on the riser.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 03:16:52 PM »
Screw?  Thanks, didn't know about that...i'll check.

Scott....... I thought about hand kneading also, it may be what I do....thank you.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
Screw?  Thanks, didn't know about that...i'll check.

Scott....... I thought about hand kneading also, it may be what I do....thank you.

Did you find it? If not I'll take a picture or find one on line!

What model KA Are you using!

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »
The adjustment screw is visible when the head is tilted back at the head to base joint. Clockwise to lower, counterclockwise to raise.
Don

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 02:13:56 PM »
Sorry, my KA head doesn't lift, the bowl arms go up and down.....

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 07:54:12 PM »
....................but, this mixer too, has a screw, and directions on how to raise the bowl using said screw.............it works like krap.  I did as the directions said..............and NUTTIN.  I mean the bowl didn't raise a bit!!!!.

Time to buy a small commercial mixer, 10 or 20 quart of so.....

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 08:07:12 AM »
My understanding of the adjustment screw is it moves the head closer or farther away from the sides of the bowl, not up or down.
Don

....................but, this mixer too, has a screw, and directions on how to raise the bowl using said screw.............it works like krap.  I did as the directions said..............and NUTTIN.  I mean the bowl didn't raise a bit!!!!.

Time to buy a small commercial mixer, 10 or 20 quart of so.....