Author Topic: fresh yeast question  (Read 1963 times)

Offline ephman

• I Love Pizza!
fresh yeast question
« on: July 10, 2005, 11:26:24 PM »
hi,

i've been using this recipe:

100%, Caputo 00 pizzeria flour, 7.62 oz.
57.3%, Water, 4.36 oz.
2.4%, Salt, 0.18 oz. (between 7/8 and 1 t.)
1.79%, Extra-virgin olive oil, 0.14 oz. (a bit less than 7/8 t.)
0.30%, IDY, 0.023 oz.

which was suggested to me a few weeks ago... i love it.  but now i have some fresh yeast and i'm wondering how much yeast i should use now.  i've searched the net and can't seem to find how to convert idy to fresh yeast?  also my scale although digital doesn't move beyond the first decimal point (.0) and i can't get smaller, so how much should i use? i have some red star fresh yeast.  thank you for any help.

ephman

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: fresh yeast question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 11:42:10 PM »
ephman,

To convert from IDY to fresh yeast, just multiply the weight of IDY by 3. So, in the recipe you are using, the 0.023 oz. IDY becomes 0.069 oz. fresh yeast (that is, the 0.30% becomes 0.90%). One little package of fresh yeast as sold in the supermarkets weighs 0.6 oz. So, 0.069 oz. is a bit more than 1/10 th of that little package. To weigh that amount on a scale, you would need a special scale that weighs very small quantities.

I'm glad to hear that you like the recipe.

Peter

Offline ephman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 12:46:43 AM »
thank you again,

one last question.  if i have ady?  how do i make that conversion to fresh yeast?  crazy, so much to learn.

ephman

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 10:58:17 AM »
ephman,

If you have ADY and want to convert it to fresh yeast, you double the amount of the ADY, by weight. You might find the following yeast conversion table of use: http://www.theartisan.net/MainCommFrm.htm. You will have to click on "Yeast Conversions" at the bottom of the left column.

Peter

pizzapan