Author Topic: Chazz: A Bronx Original (Baltimore, MD)  (Read 1207 times)

Offline pizzablogger

Chazz: A Bronx Original (Baltimore, MD)
« on: June 11, 2011, 09:04:59 AM »
Not sure how many have heard of this joint.

Actor Chazz Palminteri (Sonny from the move A Bronx Tale..."Now yous can't leave") has teamed up with the Vitale brothers, who run what is arguably the "best" Italian restaurant in Baltimore, Aldo's in Little Italy (with the nearby Harbor East located Wolf-Foreman owned powerhouse Chinghiale vying for that honor) to open Chazz: A Bronx Original in the Harbor East 'hood of Baltimore.

One of the main featured items is coal-fired brick oven pizza....which is right on the main sign outside.

Normally I would be wary of such a venture, especially when the word "concept" is thrown around from early on, but Palminteri is a pizza enthusiast. Mentioned in what I would argue was the seminal article in a widespread publication about the pizza boom, the June 30, 2008 issue of Wine Spectator (Great American Pizza), he was part of the "Slice of Life" portions where actors added their opinions on pizza and were included in the article (see picture below of his part in the article).

There is a "pizza altar" where you can watch pizzas being made from close-up. I'm going to try to go today, but I will not post anything until they are open for several weeks and get their sea-legs under them, so to speak. I'll make sure to get video and pics....and hopefully if I'm lucky I'll get to point my infrared temp gun into the oven perhaps (it's amazing what gifting a fresh bottle of my homemade limoncello has allowed me to partake in at times  :))....

More on the joint (apparently Palminteri may be there making fresh mutz or pizzas from time to time):

http://baltimore.citybizlist.com/1/2011/5/23/CHAZZ-A-BRONX-ORIGINAL-To-Open-June-10th.aspx

http://www.chazzbronxoriginal.com/

I hope this is good and not overhyped mediocrity. For some reason my gut is telling me it's the former as the owners of Aldo are passionate restaurateurs. We'll see.

The only thing I see of slight concern is mention of a COBRA beer draft system that serves beer at a freezing 32F, which as we know is much too cold for a beer...unless you are drinking a poor product that needs to be so cold it stuns your ability to even taste it! --K

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:03:39 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline jamester

Re: Chazz: A Bronx Original (Baltimore, MD)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 12:08:17 PM »
Any update??

Been meaning to get there myself; the original Aldo's was minutes from my parent's house, I do miss it's excellent and back then *affordable* food (happy as I am for their success now).

Seems like there's a coal-fired oven explosion happening around here these days...

pizzapan