Author Topic: kitchenaid new dough hook not good for us poor folks  (Read 7470 times)

Offline PizzaSuperFreak

• Pizza SuperFreak! Superfreak!...Rick James, b#@ch!
kitchenaid new dough hook not good for us poor folks
« on: July 07, 2005, 03:04:53 PM »
hooray! kitchaid finally came up with an improved technology on their dough hook for their stand mixers! and it's only 20 bucks!

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=STAND%20MIXER%20ACCESSORIES&categoryId=158&productId=566

boo! they only made it for the higher-end machines !!!!!!

can someone tell me why they wouldn't make one for us poor folk who only have the lower-end kitchenaid models (i mean the sub $300 models).

alrighty, so if you have a tilt-head model like i do, you're SOL. no upgrades for you! if you want the new dough hook technology, you're gonna have to pay upwards of $300-$500 to get it.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=STAND%20MIXERS&categoryId=310&productId=347

so if you want really really good dough, then you'd better start saving your pennies. either that or give your forearms that much needed workout and knead it. ugh.

Offline Les

• It's Proper to use Grape Tomatoes in Wine Country
Re: kitchenaid new dough hook not good for us poor folks
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 03:28:52 PM »
SPF . . . In case you didn't see the post of mine below, I'm repeating the relevant part so you have less expensive option available to you.  I've bought refurbished KA before and had good luck.  They say refurbished is usually just a returned item they aren't allowed to sell as new:

. . . I searched the Kitchen Collection site online below:

http://www.kitchencollection.com/Temp_Search_Breakdown.cfm

I found the Professonal 5 Plus mixers refurbished selling for $189 (they sell the 6 quart refurbished for as low as $219).  It comes with a 6 month warranty.
In a box (at the website) on the lower left it lets you put in your zip code to see if a Kitchen Collection store is nearby, and since one was 30 minutes away. . . I bought one.  They even had a refurbished pouring shield for $12. 

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 07:06:07 PM »
SAM'S CLUB HAS THIS 11 CUP, 475 WATTS KA MIXER (MODEL NO. KG25H0XWH) WITH SPIRAL DOUGH HOOK FOR $258.84

Offline Les

• It's Proper to use Grape Tomatoes in Wine Country
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 07:50:07 PM »
SAM'S CLUB HAS THIS 11 CUP, 475 WATTS KA MIXER (MODEL NO. KG25H0XWH) WITH SPIRAL DOUGH HOOK FOR $258.84

I don't know how important it is to anyone, but this model doesn't have certain accessories made for it like a pouring shield, or the plastic cover to seal the mixing bowl so one can store the hook/paddle/whisk inside.  Also, the bowl is taller than wide, unlike the Professional 5 Plus.

Offline PizzaSuperFreak

• Pizza SuperFreak! Superfreak!...Rick James, b#@ch!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 09:48:10 PM »
thx les and tony.

those are pretty sweet hookups.

i just wish though that they made the hook for my smaller machine. then it would only cost be about 20 bucks!

ah well. i'm sure i'll have to break down and buy a new one.

thanks again.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 12:54:47 PM »
Like Weezie always said...Damn,Damn,DAMN!  I burned up my big Kitchen Aid with the crappy hook and just bought a DLX2000.  A day late and a dollar short on that info.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 03:58:11 PM »
pizza police, let me know if you can figure out a way to get under 63% hydration with the roller and scraper on the dlx. 

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 06:34:07 PM »
Huge learning curve!  I noticed immediately that I needed to add water for this gizmo to work.  The result is a much wetter dough.  Since Jeff wrote volumes on this subject, I'm studying his formulas.  I suppose this was a good thing since I was getting cocky with Kitchen Aid formula and technique.
It's a weird machine but it really makes big batch.  Seven pounds of dough and it didn't break a sweat.  I'm diggin' it.

pizzapan