Author Topic: My Poolish Heart  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Les

• It's Proper to use Grape Tomatoes in Wine Country
Re: My Poolish Heart
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2005, 11:02:54 AM »
I’d say that in terms of what I am after, last night’s dough was not a success.  On the positive side, my wife and I both agreed it was one of the most flavorful crusts we’ve ever tasted.  It was “complex” with a delicate sweetness, new flavors showing up as you chewed, and a delicious aftertaste. The crust was good looking too, finishing with a shade of brown I’ve not seen in a crust before.

Offline Les

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2005, 11:04:06 AM »
It would be great to get all that flavor into the dough and still have the NY chewy crunch, but as you predicted Peter, the texture was too bread-like. Also, I don’t know if the three rises hurt things, but the dough didn’t rise much during baking, leaving a somewhat flat outer edge.  Well, back to the drawing board.  I think my next experiment is going to be without poolish, with the hydration of your basic Lehman recipe, and the malt powder.  I want to try it without oil too.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2005, 01:38:19 PM »
Les,

What you may want to consider is keeping the poolish but reduce the amount used, use the normal amount of yeast for the Lehmann dough, dispense with the autolyse, and keep everything else the same. Some of the baker's percents will have to change, which will change the amounts of the ingredients, but that isn't a real obstacle.

The main reason the dough rose so much was the amount of yeast used. You also fed it well with the diastatic malt and barley malt syrup. Using the normal amount of yeast (IDY) should take care of that problem. I'm reasonably confident that you will get a dough that is more NY style but will retain the flavor and color components.

Peter

Offline Les

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2005, 03:41:57 PM »
What you may want to consider is keeping the poolish but reduce the amount used, use the normal amount of yeast for the Lehmann dough, dispense with the autolyse, and keep everything else the same. Some of the baker's percents will have to change, which will change the amounts of the ingredients, but that isn't a real obstacle.

The main reason the dough rose so much was the amount of yeast used. You also fed it well with the diastatic malt and barley malt syrup. Using the normal amount of yeast (IDY) should take care of that problem. I'm reasonably confident that you will get a dough that is more NY style but will retain the flavor and color components.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I will try again in the future because I really did love the flavor it imparted.  Because of how soft the dough was, I wonder if a poolish might not work better with 00 flour/Neapolitan style. 

However, tonight I am trying malt added to the Lehmann dough effort of yours you posted here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.0.html.  The only variation besides substituting some malt for unbleached KASL is, since I am trying to get it ready in one day, I let it rise at room temperature for an hour (it nearly doubled in that time), I punched it down, put it in an airtight container and in the refrigerator where it will stay for 5 hours.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2005, 07:24:02 PM »
It would be interesting to re-heat any leftovers. My thoughts are that you used too much water. If the re-heating turns out crisp, that's the answer.

Offline Les

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2005, 08:03:38 PM »
It would be interesting to re-heat any leftovers. My thoughts are that you used too much water. If the re-heating turns out crisp, that's the answer.

Interesting.  The only problem is, there never any leftovers around here. :P

Offline Sour_Jax

• You've been weighed, measured and found kneading.
    • SourJax Creations Studio
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2005, 08:00:21 AM »
Just a suggestion, try Dry Malt Extract. This is available at any homebrewing shop.
The best things in life are free! Salvation being the greatest!

Give a man a pizza, he'll be happy for a day.
Teach him to make pizza, he'll be happy for a lifetime.

visit
www.handbookforlife.com
www.SourJax.net

pizzapan