Author Topic: Pros and con's of mobile wood fired pizza oven for farmers market in Califorina  (Read 2311 times)

Offline JohnSue

My wife and me have just made a adobe wood fired pizza oven at home and are wondering if it is worth wild to start a mobile pizza oven for farmers market.  Please advise thank you John

buceriasdon

John, What are you and your wife's qualifications? Have you two sat down and made a honest list of your strengths and weaknesses in regards to pizza making and more importantly business sense?

My wife and me have just made a adobe wood fired pizza oven at home and are wondering if it is worth while to start a mobile pizza oven for farmers market.  Please advise thank you John

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

@ John - I've been in the mobile pizza biz for about a year and let me say, it is not a walk in the park. If you are looking to feed people because you absolutely love making pizza, just start out having pizza parties at your home. Do that for at least a year and see if you still have the interest. We did a farmers market for a while but did not make a ton of money. You really need to sell 80+ pizzas to turn a decent profit, but even then a farmers market is not going to drive your business....private catering gigs will but then you will need more staff. Not trying to sound negative, but start small and grow a little. We now run 3-5 events per week and are growing quickly.
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
May as well chime in. I too have been int the mobile WFO business since April of this year.
www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com
I agree it's a lot of work! And It better be a passion  ;) I started almost breaking even and by sticking with it and finding good help I have managed to make a few $bucks I have some good connections and referrals which helped me to kick it in. There's nothing worse than working for $20/hr when all is said and done. I made that in high school and would not sacrifice time with my family for that. On the other hand my friend did $17000.00 in a 4 day weekend. That's the extreme but shows it's possible As with anything it's all about the location and events it's as much work to make 150 pizzas as it is for 35 person private party but the money is a guarantee for the private party.  Best bet is to attend the markets you are planning on doing and speak with other vendors see how they are doing. Unlike chef b I do this part time and plan to keep it that way for now. It can be very lucrative based on a low overhead but you need to focus and really have 2-3 ovens working 3-4 days a week. Also be advised to go big you need a bunch of equipment beyond just an adobe? oven. And quite possible a full on commissary kitchen to do your prep. Oh did I mention the health department?
Good luck!
John
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:20:42 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan