Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 359 times)

Offline cosmo46

Introduction
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:06:18 PM »
Hi,

My name is Steve Balaban.  I live in San Diego, CA.  I grew up just outside of New Haven Connecticut in the 70s.  I didn't realize how amazing New Haven style pizza was until I moved to California in the late 70s.   For most of my 30+ years in San Diego, I'd give up on ever finding decent pizza.  I would go home to Connecticut for visits and always stopped at Pepe's or Sally's on Wooster Street near Yale, or I would go to Zuppardi's in my old home town of West Haven.

I discovered Bronx Pizza in San Diego about 10 or so years ago and finally could say that San Diego had a really good NY Style pie.

My wife and I started a quest last year, which I've been documenting in a rudimentary blog called, sandiegopizzapie.blogspot.com.  

My favorite find has been Urbn Pizza in both North Park and Vista.  

Offline scott123

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.  With your experiences eating at Zuppardi's, I hope you can contribute to our quest in reverse engineering a Zuppardi's pie.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 05:48:03 PM »
cosmo46,

Welcome to the forum!  :)

I see you didn't give Luigi's pizza very good ratings on your blog. http://sandiegopizzapie.blogspot.com/2011/01/close-but-no-cigar-pizzeria-luigi.html Can you tell us why Luigi's pizza isn't as good as Bronx pizza?  Different members here on the forum at trying to clone a Luigi's pizza.

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline cosmo46

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 03:52:10 PM »
Hi Norma,

First of all, I'm no expert.  I'm just a guy from the New Haven area looking for what I consider to be the best pizza on the planet.  Speaking of which I just visited Lombardi's in NYC who, according to Zagat's is the best pizza on the planet.

At any rate, I was excited to test Luigi's pizza, but was not floored...I found the crust a bit doughy and thicker than I prefer.  The sauce was not particularly memorable, nor was the cheese.  I think it might be time for a second visit.  I feel badly that it didn't match up to what I was hoping for because the owner if a friend of mine.  I will give them another chance. 

Bronx has been a reliable place for really good New York style pizza.  I found nothing better in San Diego to approximate Wooster Street/New Haven pizza than Urbn Pizza owned by a Connecticut transplant, Jon Mangini.  He does a great job of recreating the pizza  as well as all the atomosphere, up to and including carrying Foxon Park Soda-Birch Beer in particular. MMMMmmmm.

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 05:08:25 PM »
I feel badly that it didn't match up to what I was hoping for because the owner if a friend of mine.

Is Luigi the owner?  If so, could you get some pizzamaking details out of him?  Anything regarding the cold fermentation (temperature/duration) would be great, as would the hydration of the dough.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 06:19:57 PM »
Hi Norma,

First of all, I'm no expert.  I'm just a guy from the New Haven area looking for what I consider to be the best pizza on the planet.  Speaking of which I just visited Lombardi's in NYC who, according to Zagat's is the best pizza on the planet.

At any rate, I was excited to test Luigi's pizza, but was not floored...I found the crust a bit doughy and thicker than I prefer.  The sauce was not particularly memorable, nor was the cheese.  I think it might be time for a second visit.  I feel badly that it didn't match up to what I was hoping for because the owner if a friend of mine.  I will give them another chance.  

Bronx has been a reliable place for really good New York style pizza.  I found nothing better in San Diego to approximate Wooster Street/New Haven pizza than Urbn Pizza owned by a Connecticut transplant, Jon Mangini.  He does a great job of recreating the pizza  as well as all the atomosphere, up to and including carrying Foxon Park Soda-Birch Beer in particular. MMMMmmmm.

cosmo46,

I was interested in what you had to say about Luigi's pizza and Bronx pizza.  Especially the crust was a little doughy and thicker than you prefer.  Your comments about his sauce and cheese were interesting too.  I wonder if when DDD was at Luigi's if somehow he changed his ingredients for his sauce and brand of cheese.  Will be interested in your comments if you visit Luigi's again.  I think we would all appreciate you honest opinions on Luigiís pizza.

Norma

Is Luigi the owner?  If so, could you get some pizzamaking details out of him?  Anything regarding the cold fermentation (temperature/duration) would be great, as would the hydration of the dough.

I agree with scott123 on if you do know any details or can get any details from him.  This is the thread where members are working on Luigiís pizza. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14928.0.html

Norma
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:21:49 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!