Author Topic: Shelf Life for Grande?  (Read 1662 times)

Offline PizzaSean

Shelf Life for Grande?
« on: October 14, 2011, 01:23:25 PM »
Hi,

I was thinking about buying a block of Grande cheese, but I first would wanna know how long I could keep using it before it goes bad.  In other words, if I bought some tomorrow and used some, would it be out of the question to use it 1.5 weeks later?  I'm guessing it wouldn't be as good, but would it still be good?

Thanks!
Sean

Offline scott123

Re: Shelf Life for Grande?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »
That's a tough call, Sean.  For packaged brick mozz, 1.5 weeks is just a drop in the bucket, but once you open it, it's a ticking clock.  I've never had opened Grande around that long, but, due to the way other brands of mozz react to being opened, I would say that 1.5 weeks is out of the question. Older, softer cheese has a much shorter shelf life out of the package, but I've never had opened brick mozz ever last more than 4 days without getting spots.

If I had a non-self defrosting freezer, I might try freezing mozz, maybe, but the science is pretty solid on how freezing impacts cheese and I'm not sure I could live with the drop in quality, even if it's just a small one.

This is one of the big blocks from Corrado's, right? We should get two more people and do a group buy.  A block split 4 ways should work nicely.

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 02:10:43 PM »
Yeah I was thinking the Corrado's blocks... I'd be into working out something like that for sure.  Do you know what the size is for those blocks?  I can't remember offhand.

I figured 1.5 weeks was not going to work at all, but figured it was worth a shot since I know I'll be making some pies tomorrow and then having some folks over in about a week and a half. 

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 03:25:43 PM »
In Corrado's retail store, they've got cut Grande clones in the cheese section. It's really frustrating because they have part skim cheese mixed with the whole milk but they aren't all marked. I don't remember which cheese I grabbed- something 'gold' I think.  It's not Grande, but it's not Polly-o either- I would say halfway between. But the price is pretty crappy- somewhere between 4 and 5 bucks a pound.  Considering that Polly-O and Sorrento have been consistently going on sale for $1.99, that leaves a lot to be desired. I'd gladly pay that for Grande, but not a slightly lower quality Grande clone.

I've been asking around about cut Grande in Northern NJ, and so far, I've struck out. I'm thinking the blocks are in the 8 lb. realm.  In theory 4 people @ 2 lb. a piece would work, but the logistics could get tricky. What are the blocks these days? 3 something a pound?

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 04:44:02 PM »
Not quite sure about the price on those - I'll look into it tomorrow when I go to pick up some tomato products.  If they had a smaller brick, it would be easier to go through or at least simpler to divide, but with 8 lbs that's quite a bit of cheese. 

I'll report back with my findings.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:59:59 PM »
Shredded Grande will last 4 - 6 weeks.
Cut them up in small chunks and freeze them till
you need them in small bags.................................JT

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 11:31:35 PM »
Shredded Grande will last 4 - 6 weeks.
Cut them up in small chunks and freeze them till
you need them in small bags.................................JT

That is good to read you can freeze them.I have put a lot of different mozz cheeses into the freezer before and I never noticed any problems using them thawed out.That said,I never had Grande to test either,but if they can be frozen and used again,thats good to know.

:)
-Bill

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 08:46:31 PM »
If you have a large block,cut into small chunks
and put them in lots of baggies
I just gave 3 5lb frozen shredded bags to my friend
At the cheap prices of grande you can share it with friends or just put it aways for future use (Freeze it}...................JT

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »
Thanks guys -

For those interested in what is currently available at Corrado's in Clifton, NJ they have the whole and part skim blocks only which are ~7 lbs. each.  They are $3.49 lb so it's about $25 for a block. 

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 08:18:08 PM »
Many of us can get a block at around $15
But we have to buy a case of eight,,,,but it stays fresh when you freeze it...........JT

Offline scott123

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 08:42:21 PM »
Thanks guys -

For those interested in what is currently available at Corrado's in Clifton, NJ they have the whole and part skim blocks only which are ~7 lbs. each.  They are $3.49 lb so it's about $25 for a block. 

Sean, if you're doing 8 large-ish pies at a time, that's, according to my NY slice approach, about 6 lb. of Grande. Even if you freeze the extra lb., and, for some reason, freezing impairs it, I think you're still spending less money than fresh mozzarella.  And, as far as a Joe's clone goes (or really, any non coal NY pizza), the Grande is both more authentic, and, imo, superior.

Offline scott123

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »
Many of us can get a block at around $15
But we have to buy a case of eight,,,,but it stays fresh when you freeze it...........JT

That's a good price, but my frost-free freezer trashes my food, with the constant re-freezing.

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 12:43:04 AM »
Interesting indeed!

And yes I am certain that the Grande will be a much much more traditional NY style slice which will be fun to mess with. 

Ignorant question, but how does one know if one's freezer is frost-free or... the other style?

Maybe I'll spring for the block next time.

They do sell it by the case also, and I have a feeling it is discounted, but I'm not sure of the price.

Offline scott123

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 07:23:06 AM »
Sean, if you have to periodically clean your freezer from the frost/ice that collects, then it's not frost free.

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »
Simple enough - seems as though we are in the same boat, frost-wise.

Offline The Slice

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 11:41:35 AM »
I buy shredded grande by the 15 lbs. I measure it in cups for two med pizzas and vacuum pack it using a seal a meal. It will last up to 5months that way in the fridge.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 11:59:02 AM by The Slice »

Offline communist

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 07:14:37 PM »
I buy Grande in the six pound loaf, for about 16 bucks.  I usually make pizza for my family every week, and use about 1.5 pounds per week.  I open the loaf and peel back the shrink wrap plastic as I go, and store it wrapped in Saran wrap in a cool 40 fridge.  I never have any problem with the mozzarella lasting 4 weeks, and I am very picky.  I am sure the refrigerated cheese can keep for months, and the only area of concern is the cut end.  Even if I skip a week of baking, the cheese is fine.  Mark

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 09:10:01 PM »
If you make a Pizza a week and a Hero a loaf will last at least a month....
It will not spoil
But as for the rest of the chesse I freeze all the bags till I need a bag.......JT