Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 201 times)

Offline ac-t660

Hello!
« on: October 14, 2011, 03:23:13 PM »
Hello all,

First of all I want to thank everyone here for the fantastic advice, recipes, etc. I'm a long time lurker, first time poster from MN.

A few years ago my then-girlfriend / now-wife decided Sundays would be homemade pizza day (and that it was my job to make it). We started by buying pre-made frozen crust, jars of sauce, and whatever ingredients. Did that for about a year until I realized that I didn't care for the frozen crusts. So I started experimenting, found recipes online, bought a recipe book, etc. That eventually led me here. Until then I was kind of discouraged because the crusts I made were pretty bready and not very pizza-like, despite being in a pizza recipe book. It still amazes me that slight differences in preparing the same ingredients can achieve such different results.

I've mostly stuck to the “emergency dough” recipes here because most of the time I don't take the time to start a batch a day early, but I do sometimes. I'm still very much a novice, which is probably why I haven't posted until now – there's so much I don't know that I didn't know where to start. For example, I don't understand the preference for bakers' percentages. It seems just as easy to scale a volume as a weight. In my trials I do sometimes experiment, but don't yet have a grasp on what effect certain changes (hydration, fermentation length, ingredient changes) make to the final outcome.

Anyway, I'm finally introducing myself because I've got an equipment question (which I'll post elsewhere). Thanks again for all the wonderful advice!

eli

pizzapan