Author Topic: 6-in-1 Tomatoes  (Read 59763 times)

Peter

Re:6-in-1 Tomatoes
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2004, 07:32:30 PM »
The story with tomatoes is largely a mixed bag.

Outfits like Escalon and Stanislaus sell primarily to the foodservice industry so there is little incentive for them to secure sources of organic tomatoes for processing, since this would raise their prices charged to customers, who could care less about organic tomatoes.  Muir Glen is perhaps the largest domestic supplier of canned organic tomatoes.   In my view, their tomatoes are better than most of the other tomatoes sold in supermarkets.  But, if you don't care for their organic tomatoes, and you don't live near local farmers that farm organically, then your only really viable alternative is to grow your own.   When I lived in places with good soil, this is what I did.  However, even at that, the organic tomatoes I grew, as good as they were, would not have naturally produced a sauce as sweet as the 6-in-1.  The closest I have come to the sweetness of the 6-in-1 tomatoes in a can is yellow, low-acid Roma tomatoes.   They are good on pizzas but almost impossible to find.  The small, fesh cherry-size grape tomatoes sold in supermarkets come a close second in sweetness.  They are also good on pizzas--better than most fresh tomatoes.

I ultimately discovered the San Marzano tomatoes.  They were rarely sold in the supermarkets, including the upscale specialty markets.   So I had to find mail order sources.  Many people deem the San Marzano tomatoes to be sweet.   They aren't.  What they are is low-acid.  They are also pulpy with few seeds and make good sauces, which makes them appealing for use on pizzas, and particularly so if you want to try to replicate authentic Neapolitan DOC pizzas.  Along the way, I discovered that there were genuine San Marzano tomatoes (the varietal) and knock-offs.  One such knock-off is San Marzano tomatoes grown in the U.S. from San Marzano seeds.  In Italy, the genuine San Marzano tomatoes are grown on volcanic soil, a condition that cannot be easily replicated elsewhere.  

One can of the knock-off San Marzano tomatoes I bought (distributed by SILtd. in NJ) showed pictures of San Marzano tomatoes all around the label along with the words "Pomidori Pelati".  To my horror, they were tough and tasteless and may well have been the worst canned tomatoes I ever tasted.  I still use and like San Marzano tomatoes, but I am more careful in scrutinizing labels to be sure that I am getting the genuine article (mainly DOP San Marzanos).  But even the best of the genuine San Marzano tomatoes, of which I have tried many brands, aren't as good as the 6-in-1, IMHO.  Until someone can lead me to something better, I see no reason to try any others (except that I will still use the real San Marzanos from time to time for my Neapolitan style pizzas.)

Peter

kitkat

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2004, 12:29:16 PM »
I just ordered the 6 in 1 tomatoes but have not found a recipe to try them.  Does anyone have a good recipe for a Lou Malnati's type sauce?  I think I have a good dough recipe- but not a good sauce recipe.

Thanks a bunch!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2004, 03:54:31 PM »
kitkat,

Welcome to the forum.  

I saw a piece on cable not too long ago in which Marc Malnati, in addition to proclaming the unique benefits of Lake Michigan water for his doughs, said that the tomatoes are specially packed for Malnati's by California tomato growers.  If you go to the Malnati website, you will see the following: "The tomato sauce is so crucial to the making of a great Lou Malnati's pizza that each year the Malnati brothers go to California and meet personally with the tomato growers. The finest vine ripened plum tomatoes are then blended and canned exclusively for Malnati's use."   Having tried the 6-in-1 tomatoes, I find it hard to believe that the Malnati tomatoes could be any better.  Only industry insiders can tell us whose tomatoes the Malnatis are using.  It could even be Escalon or Stanislaus, for all we know.  

The members of this forum seem by and large to favor the 6-in-1 tomatoes for deep-dish pizzas.  The use of these tomatoes for that style of pizza varies from one person to another, although the variations are slight.  I would suggest that you use the Search feature at the site and enter "6-in-1" (without the quotes) into the Search box.  You should find just about everything on the site about the use of the 6-in-1 tomatoes for deep-dish pizzas.  If you'd like, you can also do searches on deep-dish pizzas or Chicago-style pizzas and gain access to even more information on the Chicago deep-dish style of pizza.   It's a very popular style among our members.  If, after looking at what is available at this site, you feel that you have an especially good deep-dish dough recipe, you should also feel free to post it, since there are a lot of members of this forum who are deeply (no pun intended) interested.

Peter

« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 03:55:33 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2004, 05:23:48 PM »
I would bet a pretty penny that Marc Malnati and family have a very nice tax deductable vacation when they go to la-la land to select the tomatoes.  The bit on TV and their web site sets the stage for the decuction with the IRS.
 :o

Randy

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2004, 06:29:49 PM »
Randy,

I'm sure there is a lot of truth to what you say.  There is a lot of PR that surrounds any popular product, whether it's pizza (virtually any of the "elite" NYC pizzerias, or Pizzeria Bianco), donuts (Krispy Kreme), a rub for brisket or ribs, or anything else, with claims of "trade secrets" for even the simplest, most mundane products.  The objective is to create a mystique and aura about a product and develop a loyal following that becomes a no-cost marketing tool.  

In my youth, it was Coors beer and, later, TBY/TCBY yogurt, Manhattan/Einstein/Noah's/Bruegger's/Chesapeake/H&H bagels, and Starbucks coffee.  In the Malnati's case, it is Lake Michigan water, the "mystery" crust and the tomatoes.  Yet, the products have a lot of devotees who are interested in copying them, after having grown up with them and lived with them long enough to become genuinely attached to them.  In a sense, all our favorites are as the result of conditioning, not as a result of some inner selective process that distinguishes good from bad in an absolute sense.  Usually, the first version of whatever we become attached to becomes the standard for everything else that follows.  Otherwise, there would be only one kind of pizza--most likely pepperoni ;D ;D.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 07:08:49 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2004, 09:03:50 PM »
I just ordered the 6 in 1 tomatoes but have not found a recipe to try them.  Does anyone have a good recipe for a Lou Malnati's type sauce?  I think I have a good dough recipe- but not a good sauce recipe.

Thanks a bunch!

kitkat,

Spoon the 6-in-1 tomatoes straight from the can onto your pizza. I'm serious, they're that good.

Maybe add a little fresh chopped basil, or some fresh copped garlic. That all you'll need.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2004, 09:22:23 PM »
I agree with Steve.  You don't need a recipe.  Taste them straight out of the can.  You'll find that on a pizza you will need little to no seasoning.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Escalon Man

• I Love Pizza!
Re: 6-in-1 Tomatoes
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2005, 03:07:24 PM »
I am the Chicago Broker For Escalon if I could be of any help to you guys in promoting this outstanding line please let me know

Joe

Offline tomato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2005, 04:46:15 PM »
Hello all.  New guy here - Dan from Escalon Premier Brands. Joe, our broker from Chicago, sent me the link to this forum.  I can't tell you how great it felt to read through this post!  A bit of news - after reading this, I think we need to introduce a retail, 28 ounce size organic unpeeled ground tomato in puree (aka organic 6 IN 1).  If all goes well, this should be available on our website by November 2005.

Pierre from Germany: Please let me know if you were able to find a source for 6 IN 1...

It's great to find folks that are as passionate about tomatoes as we are!!!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2005, 05:02:40 PM »
It is good to have people like yourself placing quality above all else.

Tell the people making the 6-in-1, I like'em for the product they make.  GooooooD!
 :D
Randy

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2005, 06:00:21 PM »
Hey escalon guys,

Welcome to the site. You can probably answer my questions.  I bought a case of Bella Rosa Whole peeled.  To be honest, this was not good.  There was a lot of green core and a lot of peel and the taste was bitter.  I don't mean to beat you guys up on this, but I'm just telling you what I experienced. So let me ask a few questions, since I'm on this site telling everyone to buy Cento. Maybe you can convert me ;-)

Which product is the 'top of the line'?  I thought from reading your site it was Bella Rosa so that's what I ordered. But some say it's the 6-in-1.  How are the 6-in-1 processed. Are they whole or crushed or what?
I thought the tomatoes you use are round and not plum. Can you tell me about this.
Is there ever going to come a day when there is a quality tomato in a jar and not a can? All the brands, not just yours, have a metal can taste.

Jeff

Offline tomato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2005, 06:27:58 PM »
Varasano:  Actually, all of our products are processed the same fundamental way.  There are differences, of course, based on the product itself. I think you would be very impressed to see the number of hand sorters we employ across ALL production lines. As you know, we use only steam peeling for all of our peeled products.  While this process is natural and serves to protect the fresh flavor of the tomato, it is not always the "prettiest" method, as it is very inefficient and can leave "tags" of skin (still much better, for us, than lye peeling). However, flavor should still be consistent with our sweet, natural profile...You could have received an isolated, poor can. Hopefully, our poor can still shines above most competitors - especially from a flavor standpoint.

We use hybrid tomato varieties - produced by naturally cross-pollinating existing varieties - in all of our products.  California tomatoes are classified as "round," "square-round" or "pear" based solely on shape.  In hybrids, shape is COMPLETELY independent of other charactersitics, like flavor, texture and aroma...

Hope this helps.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2005, 06:46:29 PM »
What is the difference between the 6-in-1 and the bella rosa?

Offline tomato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2005, 07:00:21 PM »
Primary differece is the topping. 6 IN 1 contains heavy puree with high soluble solids (sugars, salts, acids) that greatly affect flavor. The Bella Rossa is packed in thick juice, with lower solids...

Offline anthony2173

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2006, 09:13:15 PM »
I am the Chicago Broker For Escalon if I could be of any help to you guys in promoting this outstanding line please let me know

Joe
I live near Sacramento Ca and have been fortunate enough to have 6 in 1 tomatoes available in my local Safeway store. I went in 30 minutes ago to stock up and found that Safeway is not stocking the product anymore!!

What gives, why would Safeway take a great product like this off the shelves?
If I spent this much time researching my investments I would be retired by now.

Offline artigiano

« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2006, 01:26:37 PM »
I have been using these tomatoes and love them!! I ddnt realize so many others were..well thats a definate comfort to hear!

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2006, 02:53:48 PM »
tomato (or anyone from Escalon),

I can't find any way on your Web site to "order online" the peeled 6-in-1 tomatoes.  Are they not available?  Why not?  Could you offer them online?

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2006, 04:12:07 PM »
I really like the 6-in-1 ground with heavy puree.  I just add some italian herbs or penzey pizza spice and a bit of salt and put in on the pie. I wish it was easier to obtain the product in Northern VA. 

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2006, 04:45:47 PM »
Wallman,

I just ordered some directly from Escalon's Web site:

http://www.escalon.net/cpoint15/bookmark.htm?categoryid=11601

If you order at least six cans, the price per can is $2.50/can.  On six cans, the shipping was only $1.50, total.  This will be my first time tasting 6-in-1, but if they're as good as everyone on this site seems to think (and maybe even if they're not), then $16.50 for six 28 oz. cans, shipped right to my front door, seems pretty good.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2006, 07:05:25 AM »
I really like the 6-in-1 ground with heavy puree.  I just add some italian herbs or penzey pizza spice and a bit of salt and put in on the pie. I wish it was easier to obtain the product in Northern VA. 

I get 6-in-1 in the #10 can at Restaurant Depot in Alexandria, on Eisenhower Ave near the Van Dorn Metro.   It's about $4 for a big can.  The challenge is getting a membership there - you need some kind of business license or taxpayer ID # because they only sell to businesses.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

pizzapan