Author Topic: 6-in-1 Tomatoes  (Read 58016 times)

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: 6-in-1 Tomatoes
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2006, 09:58:08 AM »
Thanks for the tips on ordering 6-in-1 tomatoes. I pickup cans when I'm in the Pittsburgh area from Penn Mac and have ordered online from Penn Mac; the only downside to mail order is the cost of shipping. However $1.50 shipping is a great deal. I'll check it out.

Offline BigMike

• Eat, Drink and Be Merry
    • The Hungry New Englander
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2006, 07:57:50 PM »
I get 6-in-1 in the #10 can at Restaurant Depot in Alexandria, on Eisenhower Ave near the Van Dorn Metro.   It's about $4 for a big can.  The challenge is getting a membership there - you need some kind of business license or taxpayer ID # because they only sell to businesses.

Fio,
    Do you work in a local restaurant in the area to get the 6 in 1 at the Restaurant Depot?  I live in Alexandria, and would love to figure out a way to get in there (unfortunately, I am not a business).
Mike

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2006, 01:15:31 PM »
I just received 3 cans that I ordered direct through Escalon. They are good but are very strong and have a bright tomato flavor. I'm gonna have to get used to them. Not that this is a bad thing at all, I'm just not used to quality tomatoes, and this is the first time I've had tomatoes NOT packed in citric acid. They are like nothing I've tasted before. So I'm still deciding if I like them all that much. They are almost too pastey for my preferences. What should I add if I wanted to thin them out, just a little water?

I added about a tablespoon oregano, some fresh basil, pinch of marjoram, pinch of sugar, pinch of salt. I'll try it out on a pizza tonight or tomorrow, depending if my dough is ready. We'll see how it cooks on the pizzas.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2006, 01:33:58 PM »
Kidder,

I have only the experiece of three cans. I added water. I was also considering blending in a few whole tomatoes but I haven't tried that yet. By the way, November posted information about microwaving oregano in some water and then letting it cool before adding it to the sauce. Added 1TB or ogegano and found (I know this is personal preferance) that if was a little too much oregano. The flavor came out more than I had expected.

Michael

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2006, 10:40:24 PM »
Finally got around to trying my mail-order 6-in-1 tomatoes.  Wow, what a difference!  It was so good, I found myself eating it out of the can with a spoon.  Needless to say, it was great on my pizza, but I'm also looking forward to trying it on spaghetti, straight out of the can, no heating or spices.

Offline ml

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2007, 02:36:04 PM »
I was trying to order 6in1 peeled from their website, and there doesn't seem to be anything available except the non-peeled.  Does anyone know an online retail supplier for the peeled?  thank you

ml

Offline Art

• la pizza č la mia vita!!
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2007, 03:17:11 PM »
I was trying to order 6in1 peeled from their website, and there doesn't seem to be anything available except the non-peeled.  Does anyone know an online retail supplier for the peeled?  thank you

ml
I was also using the peeled 6in1 cans and last time had to order the unpeeled. I've been very pleased the substitution and the consumers of my pizza say they can't tell the difference. There aren't any noticeable pieces of skin in the sauce.   Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2007, 05:28:26 PM »
You might try Walmart Great value brand crushed tomatoes.  Not 6 in 1 but a good second.

Offline ml

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2007, 05:37:21 PM »
I've never entered the walls of a Walmart store!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2007, 05:49:26 PM »
Admireable.

Offline GSF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2007, 01:42:09 PM »
Just wanted anyone who lives in south Texas to know, I just found 6 in 1 tomatoes at my local HEB in San Antonio, Just $1.61 a can. ;D
HEB's are bad about having products in one store and not another, so if you don't find them you might want to check another location.
They were on the bottom shelf.

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2007, 04:31:33 PM »
I'm here in Joliet IL and I have found that the GFS (Gordon Food Service) has 6 in 1 crushed tomatoes, But the not so bad thing is that they are in a 6lb 6oz can... The cost is $4.95 with tax!!! ;D
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline chiguy

« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2007, 04:40:05 PM »
 goosen1,

I'm here in Joliet IL and I have found that the GFS (Gordon Food Service) has 6 in 1 crushed tomatoes, But the not so bad thing is that they are in a 6lb 6oz can... The cost is $4.95 with tax!!! ;D
??  Dominick's carries 6in1's if you are near one, not cheap though. 
                                                                               Chiguy

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2007, 05:29:33 PM »
Italia Imports on 143rd and Wolf as well as their store on RT.30 sells the samller cans for $1.69

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2007, 05:41:59 PM »
If only I could spell?

Offline rebeltruce

« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2007, 02:38:34 PM »
Hello all,

I went to the Escalon (sp) website and attempted to order a few cans of 6in1 tomatoes, I made sure I was in the 'consumer' ordering section. When I tried to check out it wouldn't allow me to do so without entering a 'company name'..... Well I didn't order them.

Was I in the wrong section or the website or should I have just simply made up a name for my company....LOL!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2007, 02:59:25 PM »
Truce,

I assume you are referring to this page: https://www.escalon.net/shop.aspx.

You might try putting "N/A" (without the quotes) in the company box and see what happens. 

Peter

Offline rebeltruce

« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »
Pete,

That worked! Thanks!

Offline JoeyBagadonuts

« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2007, 09:08:09 PM »
What does the 6-in-1 mean? I have yet to see this discussed.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2007, 04:03:18 AM »
I've never entered the walls of a Walmart store!

Wal Mart rules!!!  :D :-D :-*
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."