Author Topic: 6-in-1 Tomatoes  (Read 66320 times)

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:6-in-1 Tomatoes
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2004, 07:40:00 AM »
I know some of you know this but for those who don't 6in1's are the freshest tomato taste you can get.  If there's a brand better I haven't had it.  I don't think canned tomatoes can get any better.  

I agree 100%!!  8)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2004, 08:58:21 AM »
6 in 1 6 in 1 6 in 1 6 in 1[/color][/font]

Two great tips that I found here on the forum; 6 in 1 tomatoes and Classico Olive oil. Doggoned TV chefs, I can't believe they push extra-virgin olive oil so hard.  They must have zero taste buds.
 ;D
Randy
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 09:00:14 AM by Randy »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2004, 08:27:30 PM »
I also agree.  Learned about them here and they are great!

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2004, 03:01:11 PM »
too stupid that Escalon dosn't distribute their products in europe. Are these tomatoes really that awesome and more intensive in taste and aroma than other brands?

I've been trying to get hold of some really good Italian brands  in Germany just to compare any differences, but have been not succesful till yet. Oh well... maybe soon.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2004, 03:33:24 PM »
Yes!

I've tried every brand of canned tomato that the stores around me carry. Tried all of the domestic brands and imported brands. Even ordered several genuine San Marzano tomatoes (certified genuine, etc.) and none compare with the 6 in 1.  8)

Offline Pierre

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2004, 05:12:24 PM »
oh... Steve

that doesn't leave me with much perspective of ever finding something here in europe near that of 6 in 1 Brand tomatoes... considering that you have even tried imported brands.

I'll just have to keep looking, tasting, trying and aim for the best that is available here...

by the way... in which State are the 6 in 1 Tomatoes grown?

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2004, 01:07:46 AM »
California
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2004, 12:36:45 PM »
Pierre, why don't you see if the folks at Escalon can ship you a few cans?

http://www.escalon.net

Offline Pierre

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2004, 03:07:27 PM »
I just looked at their site. It's obvious that they are commited to the highest quality products. Unfortanately, Escalon is unable to ship orders outside the United States at this time.

But interesting, prices are in my opinion reasonable for such a quality product and the shipping rates inside the USA are absolutely low, a case of 6 cans 6 in 1  would cost only $1.50 west coast to east coast.
I wouldnt' even get the smallest mini package per Post from this block to the next for under $3.00 here in Germany. Even if they would ship to Europe, I would probably have problems with the German Customs Department. I'll have to inform myself on how that would be done.

Thanks though...I'll contact Escalon directly and ask if they have plans to ship outside the USA in the near future.

Pierre

Offline Pierre

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2004, 06:11:38 AM »
well, here's the answer from Escalon;   :-\

Pierre:

Thank you for your inquiry and your kind words.  We are passionate about producing the best fresh-packed tomato products in the U.S., and it is great to hear that our reputation has reached across the Atlantic!

Unfortunately, we do not export any of our branded products to Europe.  We will let you know if that changes.

Take care.

Dan Milazzo
Product Manager
Escalon Premier Brands
1905 McHenry Avenue
Escalon, CA 95320
209-552-6077
Visit us at www.Escalon.net <http://www.Escalon.net>

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2004, 07:36:19 AM »
How much do you think it'd cost me to ship you a can?

Offline Pierre

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2004, 05:47:06 PM »
I'm checking out all the possiblities, will get back to you. I'll find out how much it could cost.

Wow. My wife can hardly believe how friendly Americans are. She's overwhelmed.  :D

I am as well. Thanks for your help!!

Offline Pierre

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2004, 06:48:08 PM »
How much do you think it'd cost me to ship you a can?

Too much!  :(

I've looked at United Parcel, DHL (Deutsche Post), Danzas; they are all around $50 for a 2 pound package just large enough for a single 28 oz. Can.

I thought about ground or Sea fares as well... even ocean freight shipping, the quotes I received were rediculous. They stand in no relationship to the value of the product or goods being shipped.

I would have redeemed you for the costs incurred, I couldn't allow you to come up for that. I would like to thank you again for even thinking of offering to help get a can over to me. It's the thought that counts. I will keep looking for some other method.

Hamburg is a harbour city, maybe someone from one of the shipping lines here could have a tip for me on how to get a small package from the States to Hamburg for a resonable rate.

Once again, thanks Steve!   :)

Pierre
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 06:58:01 PM by Pierre »

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2004, 02:53:23 PM »
Pierre,

My wife took a 28 oz. can of 6-in-1 tomatoes to the Post Office today and she was quoted $5.95 to ship it to Germany (will take 4-6 weeks for delivery).

If you're interested, please send me your mailing address via email and I'll send you a can.

Offline Pierre

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2004, 05:59:24 PM »
Yahooooo!!!  ;D

The 6-in-1 Brand Tomatoes have arrived!! A million thanks to Steve  ;) and his wife  :-*. Looks like they took awhile clearing Customs.

OH!  I can't wait for the weekend to come. I am giving DKM's Chicago a 2nd Try.  With these 6 in 1 tomatoes, things can only get Better and I am going to give all to be even more perfect in my efforts to get the really best Chicago Pizza out of the oven. :)

I plan on doing a side by side against the brand of tomatoes that I have found to be the best yet of the brands available here in Hamburg. I am sure though that these 6 in 1 are going to surpass anything I can find here.

Once again, I thank you Steve and your wife very much for sending us the can of 6 in 1.

So... time to get to the drawing board and plan this weekends Pizza project!!

Pierre

P.s. Frauke (my wife) sends her regards and thanks as well!!

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2004, 08:42:54 PM »
 :)There are those strange coincidences again Pierre, I just got my first cans of 6 in 1 today also....... ;D

Looks like we will both find out together the big mystery.
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2004, 02:09:53 AM »
Yahooooo!!!  ;D

The 6-in-1 Brand Tomatoes have arrived!! A million thanks to Steve  ;) and his wife  :-*. Looks like they took awhile clearing Customs.

Glad to hear that you finally got them!!

;D

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2004, 06:53:25 AM »
Steve that was a very nice thing to do.
 8)
Randy

Offline Les

• It's Proper to use Grape Tomatoes in Wine Country
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2004, 11:20:55 AM »
Yes!

I've tried every brand of canned tomato that the stores around me carry. Tried all of the domestic brands and imported brands. Even ordered several genuine San Marzano tomatoes (certified genuine, etc.) and none compare with the 6 in 1.  8)

Steve, I wonder if you've tried the Parmalat brand, which comes in a waxboard carton.  I haven't had time to order the 6-in-1 tomatoes yet, but wanted to make pizza this weekend.  Last night I used their "strained" tomatoes because you said you used the 6-in-1 without cooking, an idea that appealed to me.  The Parmalat was thick, no citric acid added, and so far the best I've ever tasted.  My wife commented how sweet and tomatoey the sauce seemed; all I'd added was fresh oregano and salt.

Tonight I'm trying a variation of Margherita style I like, which is to put a thin layer of sauce on the dough, from edge to edge, and then go ahead using chopped tomatoes and fresh mozzerella, etc.  I will use Parmalat's chopped tomatoes along with the strained, and see how it turns out.  If they are as good as the strained, I'll be thrilled.

However, I asked if you tried them because if you have and still think 6-in-1 is better, I'll order them.  Also, I was thinking the Paramalat brand might be an option for Pierre.

Additional Note:  I just bought and tasted the Parmalat chopped tomatoes.   The don't seem better than the Muir Glen organic tomatoes I normally use.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 01:59:43 PM by Les »

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2004, 07:51:18 PM »
Try the 6-in-1  tomatoes... you won't be disappointed!

They're cheap... buy them online directly from Escalon (www.escalon.net)... shipping is unbelievably cheap.  ;)

Offline Pierre

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2004, 03:37:18 PM »
Les, I've tried almost every Brand that I was able to find here in Hamburg except the Parmalat packages. Steve sent me a can of 6 in 1 All Purpose ground tomatoes and they far surpassed everything I have tried here so far.

I will buy a package of Parmalat tomatoes and try them. Parmalat is one of Italians largest Conglomerates,  I'll let you know what I think about the taste.

Trust Steve on this one though and give the 6 in 1 Brand a try.

Pierre

Oh and Les..... Welcome to the Forum thanks for thinking about me....
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 03:44:44 PM by Pierre »

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2004, 06:41:52 PM »
I just tried my first can of 6 in 1 tonight.  It really is the most freshest sauce I have tasted although I must say that it's not New York style (on its own).  Probably more Chicago style.  I personally like the redpack better for New York style although even that is not really that close...I'll keep searching  :)

I've been eating crushed tomatoes from Pomi - parmalat for years as pasta sauce.  Outstanding.  Not for pizza though - IMHO.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2004, 10:02:01 PM »
Yes, the 6-in-1 are not NY style straight from the can... as you pointed out, they are more Chicago deep dish style. NY style sauce is very thin. And, too, I like RedPack whole peeled tomatoes that have been pureed in my blender for NY style sauce.

Offline Pizzaholic

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2004, 09:11:02 AM »
I have a World Market in my town that carries the Pomi boxed tomatoes. I thought that they were pretty good on a pie after doctoring them up with stuff for the pizza. Just goes to show that I need to try 6in1
Pizzaholic

Offline Les

• It's Proper to use Grape Tomatoes in Wine Country
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2004, 11:55:21 AM »
I've been eating crushed tomatoes from Pomi - parmalat for years as pasta sauce.  Outstanding.  Not for pizza though - IMHO.

I am definitely going to try the 6-in-1.  But since I didn't have any I worked with the Parmalat "strained" tomatoes making two different pizzas Friday and Saturday (I'm not sure if "strained," which is very smooth, is the same as the crushed).

Friday night I wanted to try the strained without cooking or any adjustments other than adding fresh oregano and salt.  Right out of the box, the Parmalat was the freshest, brightest-red commercial product I've ever had.  On the pizza it was good, but definitely not New York sauce . . . too sweet.

For the pizza Saturday night I bought a box of Parmalat chopped tomatoes, and I decided later they too were better than any other brand I've had (like all of you, I've tried just about everything except Escalon varieties . . . when I do try it, I'm going to order their "Christina's" organic version of 6-in-one too for a taste comparison since they are the same price http://www.escalon.net/christinas.asp).

Anyway, for Saturday's pizza I decided to work on the sauce.  I started by draining off about 1/2 cup of tomato juice/puree from the chopped Parmalats, adding about 1/4 cup loosely-packed fresh oregano, salt, pepper, 1/3 cup Chardonney wine, and 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar (I read at another pizza site that balsamic vinegar "intensifies" tomato flavor).  I cooked that covered slowly until half the liquid was gone, added it to the uncooked strained  Parmalat tomatoes, plus I added (borrowing from a recipe I saw here) 1/3 cup of grated Pecorino Romano cheese, a 6 oz. can of organic tomato paste (Muir Glen), and salt to taste.  Mmmmmmm, it turned out so good even if not exactly traditional New York; preserving the freshness of the strained tomatoes combined with the cooked aspect, paste, and the "bite" of the Romano worked well.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 04:10:58 PM by Les »

pizzapan