Author Topic: 6-in-1 Tomatoes  (Read 60443 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
6-in-1 Tomatoes
« on: January 27, 2003, 09:12:02 AM »
For years I've been trying to perfect my Chicago-Style Deep-Dish pizza recipe. But, no matter what I tried, I was never able to make a great pizza. Something was always "missing."

Not long ago, I read that the "secret" to making Chicago-Style pizza was in the tomatoes... "6-in-1" brand tomatoes to be more exact.

Being the skeptic that I am I dismissed this claim since canned tomatoes are generally the same. But, I always had this nagging "what if" in the back of my head.

So, I jumped on Escalon's website (http://www.escalon.net) and bought a few cans of their 6-in-1 All-Purpose Ground Tomatoes. When they arrived, I opened a can and tasted the tomatoes, raw, straight out of the can.

I was very surprised how good these tomatoes were. They were certainly the best canned tomatoes that I've ever tasted.

For my next deep-dish pizza, I spooned the tomatoes directly from the can onto the pizza, added some fresh basil, garlic, dried oregano, and parmasean cheese. The pizza got rave reviews. Everyone at the table asked how I made such good sauce.

I've since made about 10 deep-dish pizzas using the 6-in-1 product and each time my guests rave about the sauce. Looks like I'll be buying the 6-in-1 tomatoes by the case now!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:01 PM by -1 »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re:6-in-1 Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 05:50:57 PM »
I ordered them today.  Fast, easy and very low shipping charges.  I think for 6, 24 oz. cans it was only $1.50.
I went with the 6in1 peeled.

Offline Samm

• SF pizza delivery
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 06:19:53 PM »
I saw the 6 in 1 at my local grocery today I bought a can to try. Thanks for the tip.
I'm curious to taste them since they clain not putting citric acid in their cans makes the big diffrence.

I won't get to try them untill about a week but when I do I will report back.

PS buying from their website even with shipping is cheaper than my local store...  ;D

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 06:50:07 PM »
Got mine from the big brown truck Friday.

Offline Samm

• SF pizza delivery
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 03:40:22 PM »
Hi Randy,
Have you had a chance to try the new tomatoes?
I had already made a batch of sauce when I came across these 6-n-1 so it won't be till next week when I try them.

I'm curious what is everyone buying? whole tomatoes crushed etc.
The can I bought was ground with heavy puree.

I usally make my sauce from whole canned tomatoes.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 08:35:07 PM »
Sam, no I haven’t.  Like you I had a supply to use up first.  I hope next week to give the new tomato’s a try.  Like you I have been making mine from whole, peeled canned tomatoes.

Randy

Offline YoMomma

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 10:46:32 AM »
Waiting for the big brown truck :D  I think I'll eat the 1st can straight up and then try it for pizza sauce.  I got the peeled-ground ap.

Offline Samm

• SF pizza delivery
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2003, 12:49:07 AM »
I made my first sauce using the 6n1 tomatoes. I used the California thin crust sauce recipe from this site. Tasted great I'm going to have to make a batch with regular tomatoes to a  comparison.

I have been useing Trader joe's canned whole plum tomatoes. When I get in the results I will post again.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2003, 08:30:00 AM »
Steve, I hope to mix up a batch Tuesday.
How was the thickness straight from the can?

Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 04:34:37 PM »
Okay, tonight is the night to try the 6in1.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 04:40:14 PM »
Here is the sauce with the spices.

This is good stuff.

Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 07:46:04 PM »
Well the verdict is in, the 6 in 1 tomatoes tasted great.  The ground tomatoes with add puree as it said on the label was a perfect consistency for pizza sauce. To get the same thickness with whole tomatoes I had to add tomato paste.   Since the can indicated the tomatoes had salt already added I deleted that from my recipe.  I think I am hooked on the 6 in 1 brand.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2003, 08:20:24 AM »
I see you got your 6-in-1 tomatoes!!

I also see that you bought the peeled ground tomatoes.

Hmmmm....

From what I've read, you're supposed to use the unpeeled ground tomatoes. Even Escalon's website says that the unpeeled (all purpose) tomatoes are better for pizza sauce. Here's the text taken directly from their website:

All-Purpose Ground Tomatoes in Extra-Heavy Puree

This versatile Escalon product has long been a favorite of pizza and pasta operators because of its sweet tomato flavor, bright, natural color and thick, rich consistency. 6 IN 1 contains only vine-ripened, unpeeled ground tomatoes, extra-heavy puree and a touch of salt. It is so versatile that you can use it in everything from soups and salsas to pizza and pasta sauces. 6 IN 1 was Mr. Colombo's personal favorite!

Peeled Ground Tomatoes in Extra-Heavy Puree

Another extremely versatile product, 6 IN 1 Peeled Ground Tomatoes make the perfect base for recipes ranging from traditional red sauces to today's "cucina nuova" dishes. It contains only vine-ripened, peeled ground tomatoes, extra heavy puree and a bit of salt. This product is ideal for dishes where the smooth texture of peeled tomatoes is preferred.

The peeled variety have to be steamed and/or boiled prior to canning in order to remove the tomato skin. This degrades the flavor, in my opinion. The unpeeled tomatoes are ground raw and then canned so none of the flavor is lost.

I just purchased the peeled variety and will do a side-by-side taste comparison when they arrive. I did purchase some of Escalon's "Bella Rosa" brand whole-peeled tomatoes. Tasted nothing like 6-in-1 All-Purpose Ground Tomatoes.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 08:48:13 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2003, 09:17:00 AM »
I had not seen that on the site.  I think you get an “A” for good detective work.  I knew you placed the tomatoes in boiling water to peel.  We do that at home with both peaches and tomatoes.  When you dip them it doesn’t take long at all.  A few moments really.  But a side by side taste test would be interesting.
You might try adding a tablespoon or two of olive oil to your sauce the oil will hold the tomato flavor better after cooking.  
Have you tried the Penzeys pizza spice. Hand-mixed from: salt, cracked and ground Indian fennel seed, Turkish oregano leaf and powder, garlic, black pepper, sweet California basil, white onion, crushed red pepper and cayenne red pepper powder.
http://www.penzeys.com

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2003, 11:51:53 AM »
I really like the all-purpose ones and have never tried the peeled.

The spice mix sounds good and I may need to try it.  It would make my sauce a little more consistent since I don't really messure anying unless I'm try a new recipe.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Samm

• SF pizza delivery
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2003, 01:08:43 AM »
I now have made a second test comparing Trader joe tomatoes san Marzano's and 6n1. All with the same tech and recipe.

The 6n1 still taste best I'm sold I ordered 6 more cans off the site thanks for the great suggestion.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2003, 08:13:26 AM »
Great test Sam.  It is the side by side test that are proof in the pudding, ah, pizza.  
Steve said he used the unpelled.  Which ones did you get?

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2003, 08:15:18 AM »
Got my "peeled" 6-in-1 tomatoes the other day. I did a side-by-side taste comparison of the peeled vs. unpeeled and have to say that there was no difference in taste.  :)

There was a huge difference in texture, however. The "peeled" tasted smooth and "creamy" (for lack of a better word) and the unpeeled variety had very apparent bits of skin present.

But, on pizza, I doubt that you'd be able to distinguish between the two.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2003, 09:59:45 AM »
Cool, next time I'll try the peeled.  I perfer the smoother texture.
DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2003, 12:21:12 PM »
Thanks Steve for the taste test.  Very good information.  Like DKM it saves me doing the taste test myself.

Randy