Author Topic: 6-in-1 Tomatoes  (Read 59847 times)

Offline Samm

• SF pizza delivery
Re:6-in-1 Tomatoes
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2003, 08:36:37 PM »
Hi Randy,
I have been using the unpeeled and putting them through a food mill to remove the peels.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2003, 10:16:40 PM »
I've used a similar process.  One of the ways I not very 'Chicago' like is I like my sauce smooth, not chunky.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2003, 06:28:08 AM »
Sam have you tried the 6 in 1 pelled?

Offline Samm

• SF pizza delivery
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2003, 02:08:43 AM »
No I have not tried the peeled. Maybe I will get some next time and give them a try.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2004, 06:58:11 AM »
I have another thread going about this but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents here.  I got a case of 6 IN 1 All purpose ground tomatoes with added extra heavy puree a couple days ago.  I paid $23 for a case (6 #10 cans, 630 oz. or 39.375 lbs.)  :)

I got unpeeled and I put them through a food mill and they are  awesome.  I know some of you know this but for those who don't 6in1's are the freshest tomato taste you can get.  If there's a brand better I haven't had it.  I don't think canned tomatoes can get any better.  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 07:05:59 AM by Nathan »
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2004, 07:40:00 AM »
I know some of you know this but for those who don't 6in1's are the freshest tomato taste you can get.  If there's a brand better I haven't had it.  I don't think canned tomatoes can get any better.  

I agree 100%!!  8)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2004, 08:58:21 AM »
6 in 1 6 in 1 6 in 1 6 in 1[/color][/font]

Two great tips that I found here on the forum; 6 in 1 tomatoes and Classico Olive oil. Doggoned TV chefs, I can't believe they push extra-virgin olive oil so hard.  They must have zero taste buds.
 ;D
Randy
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 09:00:14 AM by Randy »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2004, 08:27:30 PM »
I also agree.  Learned about them here and they are great!

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2004, 03:01:11 PM »
too stupid that Escalon dosn't distribute their products in europe. Are these tomatoes really that awesome and more intensive in taste and aroma than other brands?

I've been trying to get hold of some really good Italian brands  in Germany just to compare any differences, but have been not succesful till yet. Oh well... maybe soon.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2004, 03:33:24 PM »
Yes!

I've tried every brand of canned tomato that the stores around me carry. Tried all of the domestic brands and imported brands. Even ordered several genuine San Marzano tomatoes (certified genuine, etc.) and none compare with the 6 in 1.  8)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Pierre

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2004, 05:12:24 PM »
oh... Steve

that doesn't leave me with much perspective of ever finding something here in europe near that of 6 in 1 Brand tomatoes... considering that you have even tried imported brands.

I'll just have to keep looking, tasting, trying and aim for the best that is available here...

by the way... in which State are the 6 in 1 Tomatoes grown?

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2004, 01:07:46 AM »
California
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2004, 12:36:45 PM »
Pierre, why don't you see if the folks at Escalon can ship you a few cans?

http://www.escalon.net

Offline Pierre

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2004, 03:07:27 PM »
I just looked at their site. It's obvious that they are commited to the highest quality products. Unfortanately, Escalon is unable to ship orders outside the United States at this time.

But interesting, prices are in my opinion reasonable for such a quality product and the shipping rates inside the USA are absolutely low, a case of 6 cans 6 in 1  would cost only $1.50 west coast to east coast.
I wouldnt' even get the smallest mini package per Post from this block to the next for under $3.00 here in Germany. Even if they would ship to Europe, I would probably have problems with the German Customs Department. I'll have to inform myself on how that would be done.

Thanks though...I'll contact Escalon directly and ask if they have plans to ship outside the USA in the near future.

Pierre

Offline Pierre

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2004, 06:11:38 AM »
well, here's the answer from Escalon;   :-\

Pierre:

Thank you for your inquiry and your kind words.  We are passionate about producing the best fresh-packed tomato products in the U.S., and it is great to hear that our reputation has reached across the Atlantic!

Unfortunately, we do not export any of our branded products to Europe.  We will let you know if that changes.

Take care.

Dan Milazzo
Product Manager
Escalon Premier Brands
1905 McHenry Avenue
Escalon, CA 95320
209-552-6077
Visit us at www.Escalon.net <http://www.Escalon.net>

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2004, 07:36:19 AM »
How much do you think it'd cost me to ship you a can?

Offline Pierre

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2004, 05:47:06 PM »
I'm checking out all the possiblities, will get back to you. I'll find out how much it could cost.

Wow. My wife can hardly believe how friendly Americans are. She's overwhelmed.  :D

I am as well. Thanks for your help!!

Offline Pierre

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2004, 06:48:08 PM »
How much do you think it'd cost me to ship you a can?

Too much!  :(

I've looked at United Parcel, DHL (Deutsche Post), Danzas; they are all around $50 for a 2 pound package just large enough for a single 28 oz. Can.

I thought about ground or Sea fares as well... even ocean freight shipping, the quotes I received were rediculous. They stand in no relationship to the value of the product or goods being shipped.

I would have redeemed you for the costs incurred, I couldn't allow you to come up for that. I would like to thank you again for even thinking of offering to help get a can over to me. It's the thought that counts. I will keep looking for some other method.

Hamburg is a harbour city, maybe someone from one of the shipping lines here could have a tip for me on how to get a small package from the States to Hamburg for a resonable rate.

Once again, thanks Steve!   :)

Pierre
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 06:58:01 PM by Pierre »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2004, 02:53:23 PM »
Pierre,

My wife took a 28 oz. can of 6-in-1 tomatoes to the Post Office today and she was quoted $5.95 to ship it to Germany (will take 4-6 weeks for delivery).

If you're interested, please send me your mailing address via email and I'll send you a can.

Offline Pierre

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2004, 05:59:24 PM »
Yahooooo!!!  ;D

The 6-in-1 Brand Tomatoes have arrived!! A million thanks to Steve  ;) and his wife  :-*. Looks like they took awhile clearing Customs.

OH!  I can't wait for the weekend to come. I am giving DKM's Chicago a 2nd Try.  With these 6 in 1 tomatoes, things can only get Better and I am going to give all to be even more perfect in my efforts to get the really best Chicago Pizza out of the oven. :)

I plan on doing a side by side against the brand of tomatoes that I have found to be the best yet of the brands available here in Hamburg. I am sure though that these 6 in 1 are going to surpass anything I can find here.

Once again, I thank you Steve and your wife very much for sending us the can of 6 in 1.

So... time to get to the drawing board and plan this weekends Pizza project!!

Pierre

P.s. Frauke (my wife) sends her regards and thanks as well!!